• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

The more active the better. Give me a raging stj. I'll be happy to rain most of the time and take my chances with the pattern is less hostile and/or we hit peak climo.

We did...but that's not a good reason to keep playing with fire. If my world were perfect, I'd take a good -AO and a massive -NAO that fluctuates like hell :weenie:

Well the good news it can't not block forever.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold rainers.. get used to 'em. 

I just looked at the 10 mb temps at the end of the GEFS run.  It sure has a much colder and stronger stratospheric vortex than normal so the Cohen weakening is going to have to wait until Jan or Feb if it happens unless the model is completely off base about the vortex.  I know the vortex is currently really cold and strong.

Well the good news it can't not block forever.

I've been thinking that for several years now.  I thought for sure when we had it this winter when we finally got the mainly +NAO and AO in October vs the -NAO/AO in October which at least since 1980 or so you never want to see if you want blocking during the winter because its been the trend the last 20-25 years to see the AO/NAO phase in October flip in early November and want to stay that way in many of the winters.  Right now going back to the 2012 or so we have to be in one of the most dominant fall/winter NAO/AO phases since 1990-1994.

I just looked at the 10 mb temps at the end of the GEFS run.  It sure has a much colder and stronger stratospheric vortex than normal so the Cohen weakening is going to have to wait until Jan or Feb if it happens unless the model is completely off base about the vortex.  I know the vortex is currently really cold and strong.

Have a feeling the +AO is going to be stubborn. I am sure the PV will weaken at some point, and maybe we get periods of neutral or slightly negative. Doubt we can count on complete cooperation from the EPO like the last 2 winters...sure doesn't look favorable in the guidance currently, looking forward into early/mid December. 

I've been thinking that for several years now.  I thought for sure when we had it this winter when we finally got the mainly +NAO and AO in October vs the -NAO/AO in October which at least since 1980 or so you never want to see if you want blocking during the winter because its been the trend the last 20-25 years to see the AO/NAO phase in October flip in early November and want to stay that way in many of the winters.  Right now going back to the 2012 or so we have to be in one of the most dominant fall/winter NAO/AO phases since 1990-1994.

We got really lucky the last 2 winters here in the MA. The EPO/WPO and PNA were very good to us, despite the AO and NAO being overall unfavorable. Not sure we get so lucky this winter with the Pacific, and if NA blocking continues to be elusive, with the strong Nino, could be lots of time invested in hunting modeled snowstorms, and hoping for a fluke storm to materialize.

Advertised GEFS pattern is still pretty lousy for the forseeable future.  It's actually pretty similar to the mean Nov 2009 pattern, but that pattern of course flipped pretty quickly in Dec 2009 to a strong -AO/-NAO.  With the strat PV at near-historic cold temps, it's hard to imagine we see that happen anytime soon.  Climo obviously starts getting more favorable as we progress, so we have a chance to luck into small events. 

Euro ens don't look good either. They've held the same look for at least 6 straight runs. I'm not feeling a quick turn around. We've been down this road before. As Wes and others have already alluded to...it's becoming clearer by the day that the high latitudes are going to stink for the foreseeable future and probably beyond. Add in the npac forecasts and it's easy to just accept a hostile pattern for a while. Past history with this kind of look is not on our side.

Can it still snow? Sure, it's possible but not probable imo. Do things do a quick turn around during Dec? Always possible but I'm not very optimistic at this point. Yeah, it's only late Nov but until a big shift it on the doorstep I'm not going to buy into anything.

Advertised GEFS pattern is still pretty lousy for the forseeable future.  It's actually pretty similar to the mean Nov 2009 pattern, but that pattern of course flipped pretty quickly in Dec 2009 to a strong -AO/-NAO.  With the strat PV at near-historic cold temps, it's hard to imagine we see that happen anytime soon.  Climo obviously starts getting more favorable as we progress, so we have a chance to luck into small events. 

2009, the polar vortex had already had a warming event in November to help precondition things for the later real warming event, then we had another later in the winter. 

Latest ens runs are showing the worst possible Nino pattern yet. Lol. First third of Dec is looking awful for winter weather in general.

I've said this before, not getting snow in a pattern that doesn't need a lot of work to get right never bugs me much. It's when a pattern needs everything to change to get right that bothers me. If the ens have it right then everything will need to change. If you don't want to look at the plots just envision a +nao/ao coupled with a -pna/+epo.

Latest ens runs are showing the worst possible Nino pattern yet. Lol. First third of Dec is looking awful for winter weather in general.

I've said this before, not getting snow in a pattern that doesn't need a lot of work to get right never bugs me much. It's when a pattern needs everything to change to get right that bothers me. If the ens have it right then everything will need to change. If you don't want to look at the plots just envision a +nao/ao coupled with a -pna/+epo.

lol was just looking at the guidance from overnight. It is brutal. All the important indices are completely "wrong"  as you mentioned. And out through hr 240 the PV looks about as consolidated and cold as one would (never) want to see.

lol was just looking at the guidance from overnight. It is brutal. All the important indices are completely "wrong" as you mentioned. And out through hr 240 the PV looks about as consolidated and cold as one would (never) want to see.

I posted this last night in the New England forum, but I honestly can't remember when the North Pacific looked that bad in a long time, maybe 2011-2012? Positive epo and wpo and negative pna is a trio we aren't used to. We're used to seeing the Atlantic and arctic sides look horrible with positive nao and ao but not the pac. What is really disturbing is that the Euro wants to form a Bering Sea low. That is a feature that seems to be a common denominator in the worst winters we have ever had.

I posted this last night in the New England forum, but I honestly can't remember when the North Pacific looked that bad in a long time, maybe 2011-2012? Positive EPO and WPO and negative PNA is a trio we aren't used to. We're used to seeing the Atlantic and Arctic sides look horrible with positive NAO and AO but not the PAC. What is really disturbing is that the Euro wants to form a Bering Sea low. That is a feature that seems to be a common denominator in the worst winters we have ever had.

With the AO as positive as it is and no hint of blocking, last thing we want is a big trough setting up shop over/near Alaska. As advertised, its an ugly look.

The new GEFS takes over next week, it's much colder than the old GEFS, still not a great pattern to say the least but to see how different they are is interesting.  It keeps the pac low further west and gets the higher heights over Sask. instead of Ontario (old GEFS).

post-2311-0-92139500-1448549167_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-22719800-1448549174_thumb.pn

Lulz at the 12z GGEM... captures the h5 low at 240 and we see a nice coastal low deepening for... rain :axe:

Oh, and a upper 1030s H in Quebec as well... and is that a CCB at 240 even though it would bring lots and lots of rain?

Or a mix -- http://meteocentre.com/models/get_mgram.php?stn=Washington&mod=gemglb&run=12&var=prcp〈=en&map=us

What I expected, and still do, is a good number of storms. We haven't seen any storminess in the east it seems.

That's what I'm waiting for.

Would be nice to see some storms soon. Maybe this will be the nino with no coastals.

Archived