joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2015 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in our region, but we can relate to the lake effect snow aspect. Never heard of lake effect snow off of Lake Tahoe!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/11/10/reno-nevada-plastered-by-freak-heavy-snow-event/?postshare=9771447241723472

you can get LES off even less impressive bodies of water, including rivers

18z GFS is certainly interesting next week in terms of wind.  Surface low rapidly deepens and then occludes in the southern/central Plains and doesn't move very quickly on Tuesday/Wednesday...the end result is a fairly impressive period of strong southeasterly winds for many of us. 

18z GFS is certainly interesting next week in terms of wind.  Surface low rapidly deepens and then occludes in the southern/central Plains and doesn't move very quickly on Tuesday/Wednesday...the end result is a fairly impressive period of strong southeasterly winds for many of us. 

euro shows widespread 60's latter half of next week for OV and portions of MW.    :thumbsup:

you can get LES off even less impressive bodies of water, including rivers

I guess if you have the fetch and right ingredients.

I remember DLL talking out Mississippi River effect snow by him one or two times. 

Interesting at Tahoe the plume was going NNE.

Not aimed at you specifically buckeye, but the past couple of winters seems to have bred a new group of warministas in the subforum.

Actually I'm not really a warminista, I'm more of an extreminista.  IOW, if we're going to be mild then let's torch, and if we're going to be cold, then let's blizzard and freeze!   Call me anti-climo  :lol:

Right now we are in a mild period so I'm rooting on the torch.  I'd rather have a record warm winter than a normal boring 20" winter.  That might be age setting in too.  Cold just isn't the fun it use to be.

Not aimed at you specifically buckeye, but the past couple of winters seems to have bred a new group of warministas in the subforum.

It certainly has. I'd say the cold/snowy crowd still has the higher number, but the warm crowd is definitely more vocal, in more ways than one (some of the "my way or the highway" type posts).

Actually I'm not really a warminista, I'm more of an extreminista.  IOW, if we're going to be mild then let's torch, and if we're going to be cold, then let's blizzard and freeze!   Call me anti-climo  :lol:

Right now we are in a mild period so I'm rooting on the torch.  I'd rather have a record warm winter than a normal boring 20" winter.  That might be age setting in too.  Cold just isn't the fun it use to be.

Thumbs up to the Exteminista lol.  Except I'm more of a seasonal one.  Spent 25 years in the SE with winters of dreary cold rain for 5 months.  If it's winter I want balls to the wall snow and cold now.  Summer can torch or not but bring on the storms.  Was just walking my Newfounland on her first birthday tonight looking up at the clouds racing at about 60KTs at about 2k feet trying to wish that wind down.  Looked down at the dog and she was staring at the same thing then looked at me with a "that would be fun" look.  Well that's what I thought anyway, she could've been saying "what squirrel? Where's the squirrel?" 

:lol: I agree and am kind of the same way. I think that there are several here like you, including Hoosier.

Strong El Ninos have tended to have drier than average Novembers in Chicago, and there's only 4 cases of above average precipitation in November.  Very small number of cases but 3 of those 4 went on to be wetter than average in DJF.  Given how the med range looks and with only being about halfway through the month, probably a decent chance this month finishes wetter than average.

Surprised by how many leaves survived the winds and remain on the trees.  I'm several miles inland from the lake, which is close enough to delay the season some compared to farther inland, but would've expected more trees to be bare.

I have a tree that acts this way, but with limbs. Forty mph winds and nothing comes down. A measly five mph slight breeze and all kinds of limbs are littering the ground. A real head scratcher.

Surprised by how many leaves survived the winds and remain on the trees.  I'm several miles inland from the lake, which is close enough to delay the season some compared to farther inland, but would've expected more trees to be bare.

Most leaves got stripped off here. The Oaks that keep their leaves until spring are about the only ones left.

Yard is a total mess of leaves!

@ Bo. Nice "little" snow for you! Enjoy it. :snowing:

nam4km_asnow_ncus_7.png

Archived