SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 2015 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That line of storms that rolled through earlier was pretty nice. Wasn't expecting it to hold up all the way through Michigan, but it had some nice gusts and very heavy rain for a period. It pretty much brought down every remaining leaf in the neighborhood.

I kid you not, I raked the entire yard yesterday and this is what it looked like towards the end of the storm.

post-7696-0-55278500-1446863474_thumb.jp

Already down to 35.  Looks like a nice frost later tonight.  

Went out and took a quick test shot to see if the auroras were out a little while ago.  Space weather site shows favorable indices at the moment.  Didn't see any auroras, but did see a sweet meteorite right overhead break up as it streaked straight north.  

Yard is pretty well covered in leaves now as the trees have almost entirely lost their leaves.  May go out and take care of them later this weekend, but maybe I'll just wait for the 50-60mph winds Wednesday night to take care of them lol.

The November 19th fantasy storm shows up again; to be honest I wouldn't be too surprised at all if we do see our first snowfall late that week. The GFS has a pretty strong wave during that period but its obviously way too far out to resolve exactly how it will act. It'll be interesting to see how the Euro resolves it once we get into the ~240 hour range.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_44.png

The November 19th fantasy storm shows up again; to be honest I wouldn't be too surprised at all if we do see our first snowfall late that week. The GFS has a pretty strong wave during that period but its obviously way too far out to resolve exactly how it will act. It'll be interesting to see how the Euro resolves it once we get into the ~240 hour range.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_44.png

18z looks primed to uncork a big daddy.

No kidding! The 18Z shows a blizzard of historic proportions in NE and SD...12+ inches of snow with gusts to 80 mph. Good thing the location is still up in the air this far out.  :D

USA_GRD_700mb_276.gif

Been working on a project about major Great Lakes lows.  I'm not quite done with my research and I don't know when I'll be ready to post my results (this upcoming system has been taking up a lot of my time lol) but I can't emphasize how unusual it would be to get essentially back-to-back 980 mb-ish lows. 

Aaaaannnd the the first mention of the s word in FWA's forecast discussions:

...COLDER AIR WILL SPREAD OVER THE REGION LATE IN THE WEEK AS 850 MB TEMPS DROP TO BETWEEN -5C AND -8C. ADDED A CHANCE FOR A RAIN AND SNOW MIX OVER THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE AREA FRIDAY.

Hard freeze this morning at 26. 90% of the trees in the neighborhood are entirely bare now. Other than the green grass it pretty much looks like winter now.

Out by you this weekend...just had this conversation with my father in law...heavy frost, bare trees, bright skies....everything looks late fall except the lush green grass everywhere

Archived