joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2015 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the CFS nailed the temperature forecast on the last day of October. Precip is more of a toss up - 28th isn't a bad match.

November stats here. Of course it was mild and wet. It was the wettest November that I ever can remember at 5.26".

And it was the snowiest I've ever seen it. Meant to add 5 days in the snow cover box.

+4.48°

post-7-0-05538300-1448995266.png

How much did Houghton and Marquette get in 72-73, the third strongest Nino on record?

It sounds as if 72-73 was a distinctly better strong Nino winter for the Upper Midwest/Lakes compared to 57-58, 82-83, and 97-98 which were unmitigated torches and snowless. 57-58 and 97-98 were the two least smowiest for Houghton.

Any stats on 72-73 up north?

Looks like Marquette had 80.0" and Houghton had 205.6" in 72-73.

72-73 had a colder Dec with more of a -PNA pattern, which looks to have sent quite a few systems through the Central/Northern Plains given that anomaly distribution. Definitely a very different El Nino that 57-58, 82-83 and 97-98 which were downright awful in the Lakes and LES regions. The strongly PDO may have given that winter a different signature.

Looks like the CFS nailed the temperature forecast on the last day of October. Precip is more of a toss up - 28th isn't a bad match.

November stats here. Of course it was mild and wet. It was the wettest November that I ever can remember at 5.26".

And it was the snowiest I've ever seen it. Meant to add 5 days in the snow cover box.

+4.48°

It really did nail the temp pattern

lTuOIDX.png
jHHIt4j.gif

MQT Negaunee:
5th warmest Nov +6.2
4th least snowiest Nov -17.7" (-22.4" season to date)

The lack of snow is a big topic of conversation.  I think it's fair to say this will be a clunker of a season for the upper lakes.  Even if we can squeak out some decent snow (which we will), a lack of sustained cold will likely prevent any "decent" long term snowpack, which the UP relies on.

A positive... the deer herd could really use a break from brutal Winters.

......and 2nd warmest fall on record.

MQT Negaunee:

5th warmest Nov +6.2

4th least snowiest Nov -17.7" (-22.4" season to date)

The lack of snow is a big topic of conversation.  I think it's fair to say this will be a clunker of a season for the upper lakes.  Even if we can squeak out some decent snow (which we will), a lack of sustained cold will likely prevent any "decent" long term snowpack, which the UP relies on.

A positive... the deer herd could really use a break from brutal Winters.

I think most of us pretty much expected a poor winter, but we are still early in and will no doubt see some snow at some point. Another positive is my gas bill wont take a beating like it has the last two winters. 

Archived