joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2015 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

indian summer today...1 year ago, the first blanket of snow of the season ahead of a record mid-November cold snap.

That's crazy you still had leaves on the trees. Facebook "reminded" me of a picture I took on this day 1 year ago. This was back home. It got up to 62 today... we're forecast to break the record high temp for November 18 tomorrow. The record was 69 degrees, forecast of 71 tomorrow.

10420265_479853108824368_394909676033461

1779310_479793772163635_2798805083704070

Those were the extremely late changing bradford pears. Always the last trees to drop leaves. The majority of trees had been bare 3+ weeks by that point.

My Pin Oak doesn't usually lose it's leaves until March or April. Even with the wind we have had the last week it still has most of it's leaves.

Record PW value set at DVN.

A quote from their fb page...

This evenings weather balloon launch has set a another new record for highest precipitable water in Nov with 1.50 inches. This eclipses the record from this morning's balloon of 1.41, which had broken the previous record set in 1995 of 1.39 inches. Rain will continue overnight.

I'd definitely give this /\ much more weight than wooly worms, squirrel tails, and wood pecker beak lengths for anecdotal clues for the coming winter.

My thoughts exactly buckeye. We are already looking at a completely different beast or in this case winter, than the previous two. Wasn't Alaska shivering in one of their coldest winters during 2011-2012?

I read that avg statewide temp in Alaska was -5 yesterday! Crazy.

Those were the extremely late changing bradford pears. Always the last trees to drop leaves. The majority of trees had been bare 3+ weeks by that point.

It amazes me that their branches don't get broken off my heavy wet snow because they are so late at dropping their leaves!

Not sure if it is the same species, but I have a pear in the front yard clinging to its leaves for dear life.

Sorry for the "through window screen" pic. Haven't taken them down yet and didn't feel like going outside to take the photo. post-5544-0-43020400-1447866149_thumb.jp

Also, very OT, but I got this wonderful photo yesterday as well

post-5544-0-67456300-1447866314_thumb.jp

I know. And as was mentioned in this thread, pin oaks can keep leaves all winter. All other oaks tend to lose the leaves plenty early.

I have a Burr Oak and it keeps its leaves too. I think having the Oak leaves really dry and crumpled up, the snow doesn't tend to stick on them very well.

Congratulations Schaumburg Stormer! Awesome :thumbsup:  

Not sure if it is the same species, but I have a pear in the front yard clinging to its leaves for dear life.

Sorry for the "through window screen" pic. Haven't taken them down yet and didn't feel like going outside to take the photo. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Also, very OT, but I got this wonderful photo yesterday as well!attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Congrats man!

Sorry for the "through window screen" pic. Haven't taken them down yet and didn't feel like going outside to take the photo. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Also, very OT, but I got this wonderful photo yesterday as well!attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

congrats.  You'll be shocked at how quickly that little guy will grow....enjoy it.  My wife and I become empty-nesters this summer and the days may have dragged by, but I have no idea where the years went.

Congrats man, great news. :)

Congrats Stormer.

Picked up a grand total of 0.13" from the storm and a few gusts to maybe 35. I wasn't expecting much over this way, but it was pretty lame.

Speaking of precipitation, it has been pretty dry in this area compared to most of the subfourm, with only 2.18" of rain the the past 60 days IMBY.

Congratulations!!

Archived