joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the ones out in the Atlantic. Those are outliers - that's why your mean isn't where you think it should be..

Maybe my eyes are fooling me. It doesn't look like there are nearly that many outliers that would affect the mean line that drastically... hard to tell this zoomed out. Doesn't really matter. Was just curious. 

Honestly, I didn't expect the Euro to hold full serve like that. At the worst I though some sort of compromise. Back to back runs with little variance. Doesn't mean it has "nailed it" by any stretch. But that combined with enough GEFS members offshore gives me enough pause to not feel confident in anything. 

Neither an EC hit or complete miss would surprise me at this point. Watch and wait is all we have. Maybe it's my fault because I test fired my generator this morning. Sorry man. 

karma for wishing for death and destruction yesterday. tisk tisk

:wub:

Uneven spread skews the mean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Right... w/o going too far off topic while we wait for the NAM (!), there is a large cluster around SC/OBX; the rest of the tracks are all over the place from Chesapeake to Cornwall...  So a mean at the Chesapeake is accurate statistically, but meaningless in practical terms.  A mode might be more useful in this case.

Maybe my eyes are fooling me. It doesn't look like there are nearly that many outliers that would affect the mean line that drastically... hard to tell this zoomed out. Doesn't really matter. Was just curious. 

There's 21 GEFS members. I count like 4-6 that have solutions to the east in the ocean. That's plenty enough to skew a mean a bit. Same principle that if I'm taking class GPA averages and a few people get F's it's going to be enough to skew.

I'm not convinced it will go as far south as some of the models today. 

There's 21 GEFS members. I count like 4-6 that have solutions to the east in the ocean. That's plenty enough to skew a mean a bit. Same principle that if I'm taking class GPA averages and a few people get F's it's going to be enough to skew.

I'm not convinced it will go as far south as some of the models today. 

Agree. I'm not sure how useful the mean is when uncertainty is this high. If an EC landfall was imminent or likely then the mean helps narrow down the window. When the spread covers 1k+ miles then the mean isn't really "the most likely track". 

In this case, it isn't the number of outliers that is causing the larger than expected shift east but the huge number of miles difference between the outliers and the rest.

I don't think we can completely toss (which is saying something about the strength of the model) but how awful would it be if the whole of the guidance that counters the euro ended up dead wrong? I still think things are too volatile to have a great sense of what kind of capture, if any, we see.

There shouldn't be any no surprise if the Euro is wrong, it's not infallible. Far from it, but it's the best case scenario, so there's that.

Archived