joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey MN Transplant, you mentioned yesterday that init errors are not a huge deal on globals handling tropical systems, right?  Looks like a ~40mb error on this GFS run.  At what point is it substantial enough to matter?  Not that I think this run is bad, the trend seems clear to me at this point.

No, the GFS initialized the storm at 1200 UTC with a minimum central pressure of ~952.5 mb.  This is quick and dirty, but I took the native model file (spectral coefficients), did a transform to the full grid, and then zoomed in to plot the surface pressure.  Here is the plot from the analysis file of the storm with a 0.5 mb interval (apologies for the quality of figure but I did this quickly between other obligations just for fun):

gfs_psanl_2015100100.gif

Edit to add:  You have to be careful with graphics on the web if they used reduced resolution files to create the graphics (for example, the above is at native resolution, but if I re-did this from a 0.5 or 1 degree grib file, it would look weaker because of the post-processing involved).

Looks like the 12z Euro is going to underline the OTS scenario even more. I'm glad.

Are we going to have to read your new rewrite of this same statement every run that goes ots? If so could you perhaps just reword it and post 20 times now and we can move on and not have to be reminded of your only thought every few hours.

Red is the 12z Euro...Based on Lake Effect's post I guess they will move it east at 5pm

attachicon.gif12euro.PNG

Yes...based on what I see, and knowing the methodology in their track changing, the NHC will probably adjust the entire track to the east....a bit...such that the center line will show a miss entirely for the US...with the western portion of the cone only touching extreme SE NE/CC....you may not see any of the Carolina's in any of the cone!!!!

Yes...based on what I see, and knowing the methodology in their track changing, the NHC will probably adjust the entire track to the east....a bit...such that the center line will show a miss entirely for the US...with the western portion of the cone only touching extreme SE NE/CC....you may not see any of the Carolina's in any of the cone!!!!

IMO this term "Carolina's" should be put to bed. North Carolina is really the only Carolina that this ever had a chance to effect. Its coastline is so much more expansive and prone to hurricanes than SC and they lie hundreds of miles apart.

Archived