• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

HWRF still the same at 06z. How good is this model?

IN theory it's designed to be a hurricane model. Ian said last night that it was okay with established tropical systems. Though in the end it could just be one of the later models to cave to king Euro. 

We really need more funding to NWP. Gotta catch up to the darn euro folks ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have no issues with the Governor of Virginia declaring a state of emergency... with all the rain they are getting today and tomorrow, plus with the uncertainty of the storm, better safe than sorry. It was the right move.

And the differences in the models, to me, seems to be the speed exiting the Bahamas. The models that come to the East Coast has it moving quicker out of the Bahamas than the GFS/EURO. If it starts moving quicker than expected, could be a worrying sign.

Would expect the EURO (and now the GFS, although it was wrong as we all know) to be right but time will time I suppose. EURO has been pretty spot on, with the continued drift into the Bahamas... it had that a few days ago when the other models had the Hurricane turning before reaching the Bahamas.

Exactly! I had my doubts early, but the flooding will not be insignificant.

IN theory it's designed to be a hurricane model. Ian said last night that it was okay with established tropical systems. Though in the end it could just be one of the later models to cave to king Euro. 

We really need more funding to NWP. Gotta catch up to the darn euro folks ;)

or just talk to them directly to see where the models are so different

or just talk to them directly to see where the models are so different

You really think that the developers/scientists don't know why/how the models are different?  It's a small community.  We interact and share ideas all of the time. 

Also, people shouldn't be so quick to crown a champion on this forecast just yet.  There is still significant uncertainty.

For you and ers and others in the know, 

SO...The 500 mb pattern provides a path of least resistance at T = 33 hours. Over time, do you expect that ridge in the west Atlantic to slip east and allow the storm to recurve or to move NNE?   Or...is the NNW path still on the table?

post-714-0-88974400-1443709732_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a write up on PER stuff? I am trying to understand it because I really don't!

Here's a great paper covering a bunch of case studies. 

http://schumacher.atmos.colostate.edu/research/galarneau_etal_2010_mwr.pdf

ETA:

here a great and easy to read powerpoint

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/hmt/seminar_files/PRE_NWS_Teletraining.ppt

I'm honored by being able to interact with him. :lmao:

Events like this are incredibly humbling.  However, I already have a plethora of things I'd like to investigate (and in fact I had a collaborator do some sensitivity runs overnight last night testing one of my hypotheses).

Here's a great paper covering a bunch of case studies. 

http://schumacher.atmos.colostate.edu/research/galarneau_etal_2010_mwr.pdf

ETA:

here a great and easy to read powerpoint

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/hmt/seminar_files/PRE_NWS_Teletraining.ppt

This quote is really interesting..."Of the 47 documented PREs in Cote (2007), 26 oc-

curred left of the TC track (LOT), while 12 were along

track (AT) and 9 were right of track (ROT)."

I wonder how the eventual GFS replacement the FIM has been doing with this storm. I heard it mentioned a few days ago but not since. 

Actually, the FIM is only one of the considerations for a GFS replacement.  There is an ongoing study right now to determine the route forward on that.  There are competing ideas for models.

Actually, the FIM is only one of the considerations for a GFS replacement.  There is an ongoing study right now to determine the route forward on that.  There are competing ideas for models.

Are there others that are as far along at ESRL right now? I know the FIM is one of the frequent ones I hear mentioned in model discussions. 

Archived