Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

Yes:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ost/nggps/dycoretesting.html

Most likely candidate models at this point based on phase 1 testing are the GFDL FV3 and NCAR MPAS (i.e. not FIM, possibly but very unlikely to be "NIM, nonhydro..."

Thank you! Always interested when you post.

Back on topic - 

Hurricane hunters now flew over to the NW quad it seems. Wonder what's up. Maybe entering the eye from a different angle? Seems atypical. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the latest track of the most consistent model is completely outside of their cone, and instead their favored track is a tropical storm hitting Long Island?

I really really wish in these particular maps they'd stop showing the precise location dot after three days and just let the cone speak for itself. The position points can easily be had elsewhere, but despite all the "don't focus on the precise track" statements, everyone just looks right at the dots.

I really really wish in these particular maps they'd stop showing the precise location dot after three days and just let the cone speak for itself. The position points can easily be had elsewhere, but despite all the "don't focus on the precise track" statements, everyone just looks right at the dots.

Yeah, the cone also needs to made dynamic (i.e. based on the uncertainty for a particular forecast instead of from the climatologically averaged errors).

Could still be a wobble but the southwest motion could be coming to an end right now. Satellite almost has a touch of a north of west component but it's hard to say based on only a couple frames. But that combined with hurricane hunters finding a little less south movement is cool to watch. 

I agree....Plus is it meteorologically sound to split the difference between 2 greatly divergent ideas and call it the most probable?...They had the cone right 36 hours ago, and hasn't needed to be changed.....Have an OTS path with part of the cone tickling the coast 

So the latest track of the most consistent model is completely outside of their cone, and instead their favored track is a tropical storm hitting Long Island?

Come on...you know better.  Even a relative simpleton like me knows.  The middle of the cone isn't what they think is most likely - it just happens to be the middle of the potential track.  Even the note mentions that "The cone contains the probable path of the storm center" and doesn't say anything about a favored track.

These graphics can be easily misread, of course, so there's an argument to be made that they should have a cone only and no line running through the middle that can be misconstrued as what the NHC thinks is the likely solution.

This one's killer for the cone. Pretty clear they are trying to minimize error rather than give the most likely forecast at this point. 

This one's killer for the cone. Pretty clear they are trying to minimize error rather than give the most likely forecast at this point. 

I think I'm more or less about ready to transition to the "just watching a cool storm on satellite" mode in my mindset. I know there's still time for shifts but after the new G-IV and balloon data was ingested it seems seems like OTS is the favored solution here. 

Really nice looking storm on sat though. Not often you see such an intense storm that hasn't cleared an eye yet. 

Hey MN Transplant, you mentioned yesterday that init errors are not a huge deal on globals handling tropical systems, right?  Looks like a ~40mb error on this GFS run.  At what point is it substantial enough to matter?  Not that I think this run is bad, the trend seems clear to me at this point.

Hey MN Transplant, you mentioned yesterday that init errors are not a huge deal on globals handling tropical systems, right?  Looks like a ~40mb error on this GFS run.  At what point is it substantial enough to matter?  Not that I think this run is bad, the trend seems clear to me at this point.

I think it initialized fine on my maps... where are you seeing 40mb error?

dtk would be able to answer this better than me.  The tight inner core dynamics are not going to be simulated in the GFS, so the exact pressure doesn't matter much.  The bigger problem would be a weak system that isn't "seen" at all by the model.

Archived