joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks poised to strengthen more.. outflow is awesome at the moment. It could still get cat 5 perhaps. It's been sitting but that water is warm pretty deep.

Ian although the water is bathtub warm in that region isn't still relatively shallow that close to land? I would think it's very slow movement and shallow water depth would allow for a lot of mixing/upwelling to take place perhaps capping it's max intensity. Wouldn't one rather see it moving slowly over gulf waters offshore if max intensity were to be reached?

Thanks

Ian although the water is bathtub warm in that region isn't still relatively shallow that close to land? I would think it's very slow movement and shallow water depth would allow for a lot of mixing/upwelling to take place perhaps capping it's max intensity. Wouldn't one rather see it moving slowly over gulf waters offshore if max intensity were to be reached?

Thanks

The region of the Bahamas the core is over right now is deeper than 500 meters. That location also has a deep 26º isotherm as well; 75 meters down. I'm sure it is upwelling, but the eyewall would have to sit over the same location for longer than it is currently forecasted and modeled to be there.

post-845-0-75159500-1443743194_thumb.jpg

post-845-0-57696600-1443742800_thumb.png

Thanks

Pretty sure the water east of the Bahamas where the hurricane is currently is very deep

BULLETIN

HURRICANE JOAQUIN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 16A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL112015

800 PM EDT THU OCT 01 2015

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE JOAQUIN BATTERING THE

CENTRAL BAHAMAS...

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING ISSUED FOR EASTERN CUBA...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...22.9N 74.5W

ABOUT 25 MI...45 KM ESE OF CLARENCE TOWN LONG ISLAND BAHAMAS

ABOUT 75 MI...120 KM S OF SAN SALVADOR BAHAMAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WSW OR 250 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...931 MB...27.49 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The government of Cuba has issued a Tropical Storm Warning for the

Cuban provinces of Camaguey, Los Tunas, Holguin, and Guantanamo.

Gym, I think the most interesting part of the 12/18z comparison is the quite noticeable shift away from the NE jog as the storm starts gaining latitude.

Not saying it means anything other than potentially a shift in early track guidance. The storm is a damn beast right now. It will do whatever it wants. Lol.

Archived