Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okracoke has mandatory evacuations.

I can't imagine any of the locals will leave, the consensus there tends to be that all the bad storms miss them and hit Hatteras, they'll be drinking beer at Howard's and riding it out most likely.

It's October. They only have to evacuate like 100 people. North Carolina gets cold people. This isn't Florida.

This is just wrong this is prime fishing season for a lot of the OBX and there are tons of people down there, granted its not late Aug but we  go down the first few weekends of Oct every year for fishing and thousands still do.

This is just wrong this is prime fishing season for a lot of the OBX and there are tons of people down there, granted its not late Aug but we go down the first few weekends of Oct every year for fishing and thousands still do.

Yes. The prior post wasn't even close. I know many who go in October

It's October. They only have to evacuate like 100 people. North Carolina gets cold people. This isn't Florida.

Many more than that, residents, visitors and day fisherman, and the occasional nudist.

It's slower than tenman shuffling down the sidewalk in his black socks and shorts. And most are in large SUVs, so the ferries get packed quick. You don't want to be waiting for the next boat while a degrading cat 5 decides to go against recent model runs.

This is a big storm.. the Bahamas are hurricane hardened but I wonder what we'll see when it clears. Only Floyd, Andrew and 1929 had lower pressures and this is the deepest recorded in that part of the Bahamas.

yYN2Wy3.png

Yes. The prior post wasn't even close. I know many who go in October

A sunny day in October is a great time to hang out at Smacknally's and watch the charter fishermen come in, I'd gladly be there now (well, maybe not now, but on a non-potential weather disaster weekend)

It looks like it's spinning hard and wobbling. They start doing weird stuff when they become powerful, heat breathing monsters.

Ekman pumping ftw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekman_transport

Ekman transport, part of Ekman motion theory first investigated in 1902 by Vagn Walfrid Ekman, is the term given for the 90° net transport of the surface layer (the layer affected by wind) by wind forcing. This phenomenon was first noted by Fridtjof Nansen, who recorded that ice transport appeared to occur at an angle to the wind direction during his Arctic expedition during the 1890s.[1] The direction of transport is dependent on the hemisphere: in the northern hemisphere, transport occurs at 90° clockwise from wind direction, while in the southern hemisphere it occurs at a 90° counterclockwise.[2]

Going with Myrtle Beach. Shades of Erika in the opposite direction.

Its brethren all hit the US. Since people are proclaiming it dead no less than 24 hours after proclaiming it near certainty it would make for a fun tale at least.

Archived