joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, the NHC folks have to be pulling their hair out.

Unless the models are converging into their cone. ;)

Our shoreline shape is part of American exceptionalisn. Hurricane highway just east.

I interpret it as being hundreds of miles from making landfall anywhere in North America....

I don't think it's all that far off from where the Euro was dropping it in recent days. I feel like Long Island Bahamas was a border zone. See if it moves much more. Everything else on the Euro had plenty of room to shift west a bit without concern of a hit.

I don't know what to make of it, other than it shows how sensitive a setup this is and that it potentially throws the door open for westward adjustments. I'm not sure if you can consider ~250 miles model noise.

I know, I'm talking more about the uncertainty that this brings to the table. You had what seemed to be a consensus of OTS with the euro leading the way with unwavering runs, and now the 0z suite comes in more west. You wonder if this is a minor adjustment or the start of a swing in the other direction.

ETA: for the record, I'm not saying its a trend. Just a bit more interesting than the last few runs lol

If you accept this euro run then what it implies is OTS but more fetch and erosion/coastal flooding with the slight westward adjustment

I interpret it as being hundreds of miles from making landfall anywhere in North America....

NAO going negative (albeit slightly). Bermuda high attempting to build in. Joaquin continuing to strengthen. Ida looking increasingly likely to redevelop. El Nino continuing to strengthen. Computer models have their work cut out for them and they may just be picking up on the fact that Joaquin may be boxed in..

Edit: Joaquin moving a bit slower and ULL a bit stronger.

There seems to be argument over what is a cat 4 and a cat 3.  Wral  (our local news) keeps saying it's at 130mph now, however the nhc says 135mph now?????  this was even with the 5am update.  NHC has a scale on their site that says 130 and 135 are cat 4. Just last night it was 130mph on Wral and NHC and both saying a cat 4....  So, how does Wral decide this morning it's a cat 3 at 130mph?  It's like Wral uses the 2 saffir's I've seen at whim.  Plus, Wral said all the models including the euro, came in east.  Litterally, they never moved west during the night they said?????  of course the prediction cone is still east.    :axe:

Can someone elaborate on this and help us out because I noticed a lot of people on social media asking the same question and some have been redacting and going back to cat 4 in their posts were earlier they say cat 3 mentioned.  I noticed even a few news channels corrected themselves too.

Thanks.

There seems to be argument over what is a cat 4 and a cat 3. Wral (our local news) keeps saying it's at 130mph now, however the nhc says 135mph now????? this was even with the 5am update. NHC has a scale on their site that says 130 and 135 are cat 4. Just last night it was 130mph on Wral and NHC and both saying a cat 4.... So, how does Wral decide this morning it's a cat 3 at 130mph? It's like Wral uses the 2 saffir's I've seen at whim. Plus, Wral said all the models including the euro, came in east. Litterally, they never moved west during the night they said????? of course the prediction cone is still east. :axe:

Can someone elaborate on this and help us out because I noticed a lot of people on social media asking the same question and some have been redacting and going back to cat 4 in their posts were earlier they say cat 3 mentioned. I noticed even a few news channels corrected themselves too.

Thanks.

Cat 3 is 111-129mph. Cat 4 : 130-156. The storm is currently undergoing an eyewall replacement cycle which tends to weaken the system temporarily. Other diagnostic tools likewise indicate the storm has leveled off and potentially weakened They were likely saying the storm has weakened to a cat 3 since the last official update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived