CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come the past few nhc tracks show Joaquin moving NNE from the get-go (hour 1) yet it is still meandering around with little to no Northward drift? Shouldnt this have had a notable movement to the Northeast several updates ago based on forecasted track?

Look, I dont doubt this will eventually change course and shoot out-to-sea but something has to give eventually right?

Or does this already have a NE component to it but Im just not seeing it on satellite?

Ive been reading since yesterday "any minute now". Still waiting.

How come the past few nhc tracks show Joaquin moving NNE from the get-go (hour 1) yet it is still meandering around with little to no Northward drift? Shouldnt this have had a notable movement to the Northeast several updates ago based on forecasted track?

Look, I dont doubt this will eventually change course and shoot out-to-sea but something has to give eventually right?

Or does this already have a NE component to it but Im just not seeing it on satellite?

Ive been reading since yesterday "any minute now". Still waiting.

looks NNW to me based on the motion of that image..has to be less than 5mph

We never wanted the storm to drift further west into the Bahamas. It doesn't help at all.

I don't know if that's necessarily true at least the west part. More we didn't want it to get so far south. West inherently helps to get it closer. South put it too close to the base of the incoming trough and westerlies.

You can see what effects the Easterly winds are currently having to the Northeast of the center. That has been the mechanism that induced the Southwesterly movement that we've seen for the last several days. It's also bringing a lot of dry air with it as you can see, starting to restrict outflow to the NE of the center. 

I think it's possible that this will "block" any Easterly movement and cause the cyclone to move more poleward before eventually being caught by the trough over the SE US, inducing a solution that would result in an EC landfall.

The furthest East guidance, mainly the Euro, indicates some type of Fujiwara motion as Joaquin interacts with it, sending it East while the ULL moves to the North. I am not confident that's the correct outcome, but it does have merit. 

wv-animated.gif

You can see what effects the Easterly winds are currently having to the Northeast of the center. That has been the mechanism that induced the Southwesterly movement that we've seen for the last several days. It's also bringing a lot of dry air with it as you can see, starting to restrict outflow to the NE of the center.

I think it's possible that this will "block" any Easterly movement and cause the cyclone to move more poleward before eventually being caught by the trough over the SE US, inducing a solution that would result in an EC landfall.

The furthest East guidance, mainly the Euro, induces some type of Fujiwara motion as Joaquin interacts with it, sending it East while the ULL moves to the North. I am not confident that's the correct outcome, but it does have merit.

wv-animated.gif

Hey brother. Great analysis. I'm thinking with the NAO flipping negative, the storm meandering and stronger than forecast, he's going to get blocked from going to ots. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hey brother. Great analysis. I'm thinking with the NAO flipping negative, the storm meandering and stronger than forecast, he's going to get blocked from going to ots. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

The ULL to the northeast appears to be moving almost on a Southwesterly heading, so in order for the Fujiwara motion to be realized, Joaquin would need to make a hard right turn soon.

Even though we do have a consensus building, there are just so many moving parts. I won't be confident the East coast is safe until Joaquin has safely become embedded in the Westerlies. 

The ULL to the northeast appears to be moving almost on a Southwesterly heading, so in order for the Fujiwara motion to be realized, Joaquin would need to make a hard right turn soon.

Even though we do have a consensus building, there are just so many moving parts. I won't be confident the East coast is safe until Joaquin has safely become embedded in the Westerlies.

Gratzi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You can see the slingshot to the NE at the end of the loop: http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/mimic-tc/2015_11L/webManager/gifsBy12hr_06.gif

Could be, or it could just be another wobble. The 8AM fix had it moving NW.

It's amazing how close the 00z ECMWF came to slingshoting this back towards the coast. It all just came down to the strength and position of the ULL.

f72.gif

Archived