joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coast guard searching for a container ship close to the storm...Hurricane hunters even dropped very low inside the eye a little while ago in order to try and establish contact with the ship...to no avail apparently.   33 people on board.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/02/445272576/coast-guard-searching-for-ship-crew-of-33-caught-in-hurricane-joaquin?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=business&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

I think the Euro knows.. since like 4 days ago. 

yea i mean i know that euro is the most reliable and consistent, but i'm just saying that i appreciate when i see posts from people analyzing what the other options could be.  the way i see it...OTS is the overwhelming favorite right now, but if it decides to hang a little closer to the coast it would certainly be worth continued tracking.  

and I think we've established that the time labels on those plots are odd.    Those are indeed the 12z members.

Maybe the time stamps are for the most recent official placement of the cyclone?

eta: It would be interesting to see if the first ensemble member initializes at 8:00.

no.   It's the ensemble for the 12z GFS run.   It's run like that every day (00,06,18z too) and is not run for specific storms.

Maybe the time stamps are for the most recent official placement of the cyclone?

eta: It would be interesting to see if the first ensemble member initializes at 8:00.

no.   It's the ensemble for the 12z GFS run.   It's run like that every day (00,06,18z too) and is not run for specific storms.

I'm not disagreeing with that. Wunderground just seems to be posting different ways of displaying them as you previously noted. My last post was a speculative assumption.

What a pronounced turn NE. Fun one to track at least.

As it starts to weaken the surrounding ridging breaks down and it gets sucked in. If that wasn't there.. Tho arguably at this or the upper ridge configuration is too centered to our north v ne. So close.

Archived