joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A Summer September to remember

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a nice over-the-top heat plume for NNE to start the week. Maybe we can tickle some 20C 850s on Wednesday. That BDCF would be a nice mini mild down, but the next over the top heat plume is waiting in the wings. Maybe we can follow this heat up with some 30s and terminated growing seasons in NNE.

Looks like a nice over-the-top heat plume for NNE to start the week. Maybe we can tickle some 20C 850s on Wednesday. That BDCF would be a nice mini mild down, but the next over the top heat plume is waiting in the wings. Maybe we can follow this heat up with some 30s and terminated growing seasons in NNE.

Euro EPS does bring a slightly cooler to near normal air mass into the region by the second week of September, which normal would be on par with some first freezes up north.

This post was an emotional rollercoaster for me.

Euro EPS does bring a slightly cooler to near normal air mass into the region by the second week of September, which normal would be on par with some first freezes up north.

This all seems so typical, US Open week hot, week after Labor day it cools. We see saw down little by little. Standard fare with big heat the only noise this week

Have seen some 850s at zero or even below, at day 9-10.  Long way out there, but it's been consistent for a few runs.  If that verified without winds/clouds, my cold spot would probably get a frost - would only be a week ahead of my avg 1st frost if that happened. 

Recurves have not worked out lately. Some thought they might a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't happened. Better chance later this month. Recurves only work if pattern can support constructive interference too. Not every recurve means cold even in winter.

This (bold) is the whole problem with trying to assess a pattern correlation during weak gradient months of the year.

The correlation is clearer/more coherent in the winter when there are jet structure/R-wave configurations that can positively or negatively feed-back tropical forcing more readily.  

I don't recall reading any posts that came off as 'laughed' at the summer suggestion - btw.  Not sure where that's coming from ... it's all good to speculate.  And, I seriously doubt the correlation is entirely zero in summer... it's about weak versus strong correlation - game of gray in the atmosphere. 

Put it this way... the PNA isn't even correlated to the other indexes at CDC, during JJA, because the correlation is so weak at that time of the year.  WELL, think think think about it!  How the heck can a recurving typhoon transmit an influence through a domain that doesn't even in its self, register ... it's kind of absurd when one things about.  

Later on toward fall, the westerlies start to behave differently though. The gradient steeps first in the N, then the mean band squeezes south with the advance of the ambient polar boundary/lowering of polar heights associated with vacating insolation... As the gradient increase, it then becomes physically detectable to heat and source sinks around the middle and subtropical regions, and then the "pattern" tends to align accordingly - that is why the the winter is more correlative for that whole typhoon thing than summer.

But summer is not zero - 

God I can't wait. This week will be nice for a last heat hurrah but bring the frost.

Those mornings where it's 30F at MVL/750ft but 40F at 1500ft. Shallow frosty mornings.

pretty much guaranteed US Open tennis tournament is a hot week. I posted that BDF as that's getting into the weekend beach time. lots of ENE flow

It seems like we may get into a more amplified pattern near mid month or a few days prior. Seems like the mean trough will be in the Plains/Midwest, but some ridging in the EPAC. So given trough placement and time of year, probably not a cool pattern..but one with fropas and perhaps formidable lows traveling close by New England.

Archived