joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cute little cell just passed over in a weakened state...some fella came into the shop a few minutes ago and said he saw a funnel cloud down towards watch hill about an hour ago???

i looked at the radar loop and the cell was much better organized as it came out of se ct but we are wondering if he was seeing things...anyone care to weigh in??

post-3207-0-16923100-1437913714_thumb.jp

post-3207-0-71184300-1438812640_thumb.jp

It is kind of unique though when its HHH up in the north country....almost makes it feel like you're down in Appalachia instead of NNE....fire up that banjo

I do agree with the bug statement.....the last couple weeks they have been brutal.  Is it me, or has anyone else noticed the deer flies seem to be much worse than the last few years....I can't go 2 feet into the woods without a million of them pinging off my head....

I probably post more about deer flies than weather during the summer. They started late and are def holding on longer than normal

We battle them when walking the dog in the morning most. A bug zapper raquet is the best invention ever.

In about a week they will be done methinks.

I probably post more about deer flies than weather during the summer. They started late and are def holding on longer than normal

We battle them when walking the dog in the morning most. A bug zapper raquet is the best invention ever.

Yeah, those are the worst.  We call them three corner flies and they are a pain in the woods.  It's because of them that I rarely do work in the woods for long in the summer.  I can get so much more done in the fall.  I like the sound of that racquet though.  Those darn things will follow you for a half a mile and keep trying to bite the exact same spot the whole way.  They always seem to want to get the back of my neck!

I wondered why those things seem to be getting so popular....next time I'm at Job Lot I'm picking one up.  Bug spray works to keep them from biting, but they still ping off your head, so I like the racquet idea. 

Yeah, those are the worst. We call them three corner flies and they are a pain in the woods. It's because of them that I rarely do work in the woods for long in the summer. I can get so much more done in the fall. I like the sound of that racquet though. Those darn things will follow you for a half a mile and keep trying to bite the exact same spot the whole way. They always seem to want to get the back of my neck!

My folks won't leave the cabin in Woodstock without the racket now haha. Walking miles of dirt roads in the forest with deer flies is one of the more annoying activities one can do. They don't leave ya alone till you kill them. Then you get a couple minutes of peace before another couple flies show up. Bouncing off your head and neck every couple seconds.

Thank god I don't see much of those, if any, up here in the mountains. We just get the very small gnat like bugs when it gets hot...they seem to explode in population on hot humid days.

low was right around 60 on the house thermo. I ran around 6:00 and sweated balls. Has been a very warm week and 80 today. No one has worn anything long sleeved

Yet another COC defined day, we all love it, smile everywhere. Awesome news Euro went OTS allowing for a COC weekend with big surf, perfection in a bottle. MWN 

• TEMPERATURE 40°F
  • GUST 62 MPH
  • WIND 52 MPH
  • WIND CHILL 26°F

I wondered why those things seem to be getting so popular....next time I'm at Job Lot I'm picking one up.  Bug spray works to keep them from biting, but they still ping off your head, so I like the racquet idea. 

It does?  I've never found any repellent that has the slightest effect on deerflies.  (Once heard that flaming kerosene works, but the side effects can be burdensome.)  I don't care to wear a hat when bushwhacking thru the thick stuff in summer wx, both due to excessive warmth and the hassle of having to pick it up, over and over, after a branch flips it to the ground.  Thus the deerflies have always had a prime target - the hair-whorl spot toward the back of my head.  Occasional slaps at that spot frequently dispatch flies in mid-chew, but then their friends all come hungry to the funeral.

Thank god I don't see much of those, if any, up here in the mountains. We just get the very small gnat like bugs when it gets hot...they seem to explode in population on hot humid days.

We call those gnat-like critters mingies.  In the Francophone areas in northern Maine the term is bruleau - "burning" - a good description of the sensation they cause.  When I was doing weather obs, including RH at 15-minute intervals, as part of the logbook for a herbicide project, we found that when the early moring saturation slipped down to 85% the mingies arrived in force.  When RH dropped below 70% they disappeared.  Unfortunately, that narrow range of RH is a frequent occurrence in the damp woodland of a spruce-fir-cedar forest.

We call those gnat-like critters mingies.  In the Francophone areas in northern Maine the term is bruleau - "burning" - a good description of the sensation they cause.  When I was doing weather obs, including RH at 15-minute intervals, as part of the logbook for a herbicide project, we found that when the early moring saturation slipped down to 85% the mingies arrived in force.  When RH dropped below 70% they disappeared.  Unfortunately, that narrow range of RH is a frequent occurrence in the damp woodland of a spruce-fir-cedar forest.

That is an interesting obs about RH vs bugs. That make sense and it seems to jibe with what I see and feel

Maybe it is easier for them to breathe in those conditions?

Even after this weekend debacle on Euro. Folks still riding it next week?

How'd it do with this weekend's storm?

Managed a 57.8 overnight.  Not too shabby for the Pit.

65.0/55.  We COC.

Obviously not buying the op run... but the Euro Ensembles have more than 40% of members dropping 1" of QPF in the 24 hours ending at D6. That's a strong sultan signal. 

Obviously not buying the op run... but the Euro Ensembles have more than 40% of members dropping 1" of QPF in the 24 hours ending at D6. That's a strong sultan signal. 

I'm just busting on ya.  Though, given the EC's less than stellar performance last winter and in a few situations since, the winter tracking season will be full of uncertainties.

65.6/55

Archived