• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I'll have to pull up some maps when I get home tomorrow on the computer, but I-91 is where I feel the most comfortable going fast. Especially just north of Springfield (VT). Sure there are some curves but there's also multiple mile long stretches of great visibility with no trees in the median for troopers to hide. Not even a close comparison to I-89 for example.

too fast, slow down , it ain't worth it. 70-75 is all you need. DIT Speeding in a Mini van at 90 coming HOME from vacation, smdh. What's the rush. Sh it happens fast.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best interstate of visibility I've been on in NE is 91 north of St. Johnsbury and parts of 93 in NH north of Franconia Notch heading up toward Jay Peak.

I agree with you on 91 not being overly flat and straight through most of VT south of there. It's an easy ride, but I would say 93 in NH has easier stretches and 91 way up in N VT is easier. Most of 91 in VT goes through rolling foothills just west of the CT River.

Parts of I-95 in Maine are really flat and easy too.

Especially north of Old Town, except for after dark when large black animals can cause an adrenalin rush.  For me, worst place on I-95 in Maine is driving thru BGR, 2nd most interesting is the turn-dip-turn in WVL at Messalonskee Stream - always fun when in the midst of semis.

Missed the best severe today but at least we got a consolation prize.

attachicon.gif8-4 rb.jpg

Nice shot.  Would hae preferred a crazy-ass storm

Weekend continues to impove.  It won' be COC; but I'm still hopeful we can continue trending better and get some peeks of sun on Saturday.  Temps should be comfortable.

Scott--what's your take on GC temps come Saturday?  BOX is showing pretty warm--mid 70's.  I had thought it was supposed to cool down.  I guess that's gone by the wayside along with the rain.

It probably will be dependent on how much sun. Maybe mid 70s there for a start right now. 

guess i'll set the sprinklers back up and water the lawn...not sure why, at this point all i'm watering is crab grass...lol, but the crab grass sure is green! anyway, back to the doldrums...not much to track...no temp anomalies...losing daylight, fast...september and october are superb months for hiking...

wonder how the foliage is going to be this year?

Random question for anyone who can answer.....

I use the WeatherBug Spark (Total Lightning Network) application as a lightning strike map.  My question is how accurate are they?  Example, yesterday there was a strike on Gurnet Point in Plymouth, that when zoomed way in, showed it to occur in the middle of an unpaved road about 45 feet behind our family house.  I got confirmation of a strike down there that fried someone's solar system, that house was 270 ft away. (I get concerned about strikes there because the closest fire truck is 45 min away and houses have been lost before from lightning).  So are these maps accurate right to the point of impact? Could I go right to that spot in the road and see the impact of the strike (if any) or is a margin or error possible where it could have hit our well pipe about 35 ft from the impact spot, or even the house itself, or a house 270 ft away?

Random question for anyone who can answer.....

I use the WeatherBug Spark (Total Lightning Network) application as a lightning strike map.  My question is how accurate are they?  Example, yesterday there was a strike on Gurnet Point in Plymouth, that when zoomed way in, showed it to occur in the middle of an unpaved road about 45 feet behind our family house.  I got confirmation of a strike down there that fried someone's solar system, that house was 270 ft away. (I get concerned about strikes there because the closest fire truck is 45 min away and houses have been lost before from lightning).  So are these maps accurate right to the point of impact? Could I go right to that spot in the road and see the impact of the strike (if any) or is a margin or error possible where it could have hit our well pipe about 35 ft from the impact spot, or even the house itself, or a house 270 ft away?

There is some margin of error, but I'd say that if the error was 225' based on what you are saying....that is pretty darn good.

There is some margin of error, but I'd say that if the error was 225' based on what you are saying....that is pretty darn good.

I did sort of do a test of its accuracy last October.  During an evening storm, there was a close strike to my house and I had to look it up to see what was hit.  It said it was 0.4 miles away (I didn't do a specific zoom-in, but saw the general area to be a house on Pleasant St).  Sure enough, next day in the local paper, house hit by lightning on Pleasant St....distance to the exact house (they gave the address) measured on Google Earth, 0.38 miles away.  

Especially north of Old Town, except for after dark when large black animals can cause an adrenalin rush.  For me, worst place on I-95 in Maine is driving thru BGR, 2nd most interesting is the turn-dip-turn in WVL at Messalonskee Stream - always fun when in the midst of semis.

The speed limit of 75 north of BGR is the only place east of the Mississippi where the speed-limit is above 70 mph. 

What should I do...

Buy my "Atmosphere" textbook for met. class brand new at $177 or buy it used for $132.75?  I do also have the option to rent but like I did for math I want to buy the books used for met classes so I always have them as a reference.  Obviously buying used saves $45 but there is just something appealing about a brand new textbook

What should I do...

Buy my "Atmosphere" textbook for met. class brand new at $177 or buy it used for $132.75?  I do also have the option to rent but like I did for math I want to buy the books used for met classes so I always have them as a reference.  Obviously buying used saves $45 but there is just something appealing about a brand new textbook

woah..screw the school bookstore.  Was just told that I could get this book online for $50 to $60 brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The speed limit of 75 north of BGR is the only place east of the Mississippi where the speed-limit is above 70 mph. 

Most states outside of the Northeast and Oregon (with the exception of NH & ME) have upped their speed limited to at least 70.  I have no problem with it in rural areas but in urban areas and on congested corridors, it's just a hair too fast.

Once one gets north of Old Town, I-95 misses the built-up portions of even the small towns until one reaches HUL, over 100 miles away.  Other than moose (and winter wx) the only "hazard" is a few miles north of Medway where gazing at Katahdin can result in one driving off the road.

how is that perfect?It's not HHH? Seems cold...well, at least for down his way, up there I'm sure its normal. 

Today was around a -5 on the high, so slightly below normal but nothing noteworthy...normal is 79/55 at MVL at 750ft, so normal high at 1,500ft is probably 76F-ish?

HHH just doesn't do anything for me.  I enjoy swimming in the local swimming holes or our pool if it does get hot.  But for the vast majority of the activities one does in the mountains in the warm season, there's no need for it to be 85F+.  It starts to diminish the enjoyability of those activities.  Nothing like going for a good hike with temps near 70F and a nice breeze... vs. hiking when its 80s/68 with low visibility in haze and stagnant air along with the bugs seem to explode in population. 

Today was around a -5 on the high, so slightly below normal but nothing noteworthy...normal is 79/55 at MVL at 750ft, so normal high at 1,500ft is probably 76F-ish?

HHH just doesn't do anything for me.  I enjoy swimming in the local swimming holes or our pool if it does get hot.  But for the vast majority of the activities one does in the mountains in the warm season, there's no need for it to be 85F+.  It starts to diminish the enjoyability of those activities.  Nothing like going for a good hike with temps near 70F and a nice breeze... vs. hiking when its 80s/68 with low visibility in haze and stagnant air along with the bugs seem to explode in population. 

It is kind of unique though when its HHH up in the north country....almost makes it feel like you're down in Appalachia instead of NNE....fire up that banjo

I do agree with the bug statement.....the last couple weeks they have been brutal.  Is it me, or has anyone else noticed the deer flies seem to be much worse than the last few years....I can't go 2 feet into the woods without a million of them pinging off my head....

Archived