SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kayem et al and Meyer et al verified this in subsequent papers.

Ah yes...the Kayem-Meyer oscillation. When the DIT goes + in late March and back to - in late October. From what I've read here, the super Nino may keep the DIT positive right through winter this year.

Usually their highs run right in line with those local meso sites (Soucook and Suncook River HADS sites). They were 86 and 85 respectively yesterday. MHT was 86 and ASH was 85. I seem to run cool and avg about 3-4F cooler than CON for max temps in July, but I only had 81 yesterday. I'm not sure I've ever been 7F cooler on a well mixed day like yesterday.

Their mins have seemed okay...maybe a hair warmer than usual, but nothing that stands out. I'd assume a $ flag would pop up if the aspirator failed?

My thoroughly anecdotal obs for those 3 SNH sites is that CON and MHT max out nearly the same while ASH runs 1-2F warmer.  For minima, CON is almost always the lowest, sometimes by 5+ when radiational cooling is good.

Yeah and I bet the differences aren't nearly as great in the winter with regards to some of these spots.

I just have a hard time believing the super-lapse rates in the boundary layer, when I've seen time and time again up here that the various official stations from MMNV1 down to MPV, MVL, and BTV almost always follow a textbook lapse rate. But they are all sited away from trees with good open air mixing.

The super lapse rates to me indicate different sitings...like MPM might see 7-8F differences on his car at a traffic light in Greenfield, but if he went and sat under the pines in Hippy's yard would that difference still hold or would it be maybe only 4F different?

Not so sure about that, Scott.  The mesosite at Greenfield CC (a tree'd/lawny campus) is similar to the car down there.

The comment about it not being as great in the winter is true.  It's typically about a 4* drop IIRC.  Of course, they get much cooler down there than at the Pit most nights of any season.

ASH has always been a torch spot. Probably more a siting deal there I imagine. Downslope dandy of a spot, and perhaps some pavement nearby or something.

MHT has horrible siting. I'm surprised they aren't warmer than they already are. They were really torchy in the pre-ASOS days.

Not so sure about that, Scott.  The mesosite at Greenfield CC (a tree'd/lawny campus) is similar to the car down there.

The comment about it not being as great in the winter is true.  It's typically about a 4* drop IIRC.  Of course, they get much cooler down there than at the Pit most nights of any season.

This tells me that the differences are from evapotranspiration...so essentially a form of UHI.

My thoroughly anecdotal obs for those 3 SNH sites is that CON and MHT max out nearly the same while ASH runs 1-2F warmer. For minima, CON is almost always the lowest, sometimes by 5+ when radiational cooling is good.

I'd say 50% of the time CON and MHT run neck and neck. The other 50% MHT is 1-2F warmer. Sometimes CON squeaks out a win in the spring or if there is little to no H85 thermal gradient between the two. Agree about ASH...they tend to run a good 1-2F warmer in almost every situation.

Min wise, ASH radiates surprisingly well. CON is definitely #1 and MHT is a distant #3.

Not so sure about that, Scott. The mesosite at Greenfield CC (a tree'd/lawny campus) is similar to the car down there.

The comment about it not being as great in the winter is true. It's typically about a 4* drop IIRC. Of course, they get much cooler down there than at the Pit most nights of any season.

The change in the seasons and change in temp differences says something about the sitings is off, due to foliage.

You should see probably 3-4F year round with say 750ft of elevation change....all else being equal.

meanwhile, my forsythias are getting closer and closer to death...

it is simply not possible to kill those things. prune them down to bloody stumps in the late spring, by the end of summer they are just as big as they were before you pruned them. they are amazing creatures

I'll be heading down I-91 to CT in a couple weekends... will take some pics, haha.  I just think it is a pretty darn straight boring highway with good visibility well downstream.  Although the Bolton Flats on I-89 will take the real cake for long-straight stretches, but since its between MPV/Waterbury/Burlington its always got at least a steady traffic on it. 

75 is my speed as well... because that seems to be the spot you can set your cruise control on and not get stopped by the rouge troooper.  I did get ticketed once on I-89 for doing 79mph in a 65 about 5 years ago.  Since then I cap it around 75.

I think you guys have a different definition of straight.  Other people described it as flat.  On the other hand I said that it has hills and curves which it does.  It's not the kind of hills and curves that you need to slow down for or cause visibility issues but rather the highway will rise or turn making it not straight and flat.  It's one of the few interstates I've seen (and I've been to all 50 states) that use the yellow diamond signs that you use on two lane roads for curves on the interstate.

Do me a favor, when you get to Deerfield, MA (where Yankee Candle is), make note of the way the interstate looks for the next 10 miles.  That stretch is flat and straight.  If you think the two are the same, then we know that you are using a different definition of flat and straight.

I'm attaching a couple of streetview shots for my comparison.

post-1299-0-66878500-1438684158_thumb.pn

post-1299-0-09979800-1438684182_thumb.pn

I think you guys have a different definition of straight.  Other people described it as flat.  On the other hand I said that it has hills and curves which it does.  It's not the kind of hills and curves that you need to slow down for or cause visibility issues but rather the highway will rise or turn making it not straight and flat.  It's one of the few interstates I've seen (and I've been to all 50 states) that use the yellow diamond signs that you use on two lane roads for curves on the interstate.

Do me a favor, when you get to Deerfield, MA (where Yankee Candle is), make note of the way the interstate looks for the next 10 miles.  That stretch is flat and straight.  If you think the two are the same, then we know that you are using a different definition of flat and straight.

I'm attaching a couple of streetview shots for my comparison.

The best interstate of visibility I've been on in NE is 91 north of St. Johnsbury and parts of 93 in NH north of Franconia Notch heading up toward Jay Peak.

I agree with you on 91 not being overly flat and straight through most of VT south of there. It's an easy ride, but I would say 93 in NH has easier stretches and 91 way up in N VT is easier. Most of 91 in VT goes through rolling foothills just west of the CT River.

Parts of I-95 in Maine are really flat and easy too.

The best interstate of visibility I've been on in NE is 91 north of St. Johnsbury and parts of 93 in NH north of Franconia Notch heading up toward Jay Peak.

I agree with you on 91 not being overly flat and straight through most of VT south of there. It's an easy ride, but I would say 93 in NH has easier stretches and 91 way up in N VT is easier. Most of 91 in VT goes through rolling foothills just west of the CT River.

Parts of I-95 in Maine are really flat and easy too.

I'll have to pull up some maps when I get home tomorrow on the computer, but I-91 is where I feel the most comfortable going fast. Especially just north of Springfield (VT). Sure there are some curves but there's also multiple mile long stretches of great visibility with no trees in the median for troopers to hide. Not even a close comparison to I-89 for example.

Archived