joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's pretty quick. Usually takes me 3.5hrs to Woodstock, CT from here. But Sunday morning is a great travel time...fast.

3 hours to Logan Airport though. Really not that bad being 15 minutes to the interstate and then let it fly.

I touched 90 a few times. There were stretches of miles where we were only vehicle on the highway .. On either side. #freeandnaked

It's not like it's unsafe to do 85-90 on an empty, straight highway with good weather and no obstacles. Not much chance of an accident in those conditions. My dad used to routinely drive 80 to 90 with me in the car when I was young, never had a problem except the rare speeding ticket.

If you have a tire blow out at that speed you have big problems. Parents used to smoke in cars with kids in back......Doesn't make it right

I saw you. As soon as we hit 89.. You shot in left lane and passed us.. And then we blew past you again a little down the road. You must have thought that was us. I mean.. What are chances lol

Haha yup that was me. I was heading into work. I live in Colchester and take 89 to the BTV Airport exit. Crazy!

It's not like it's unsafe to do 85-90 on an empty, straight highway with good weather and no obstacles. Not much chance of an accident in those conditions. My dad used to routinely drive 80 to 90 with me in the car when I was young, never had a problem except the rare speeding ticket.

1/2mv^2

If you have a tire blow out at that speed you have big problems. Parents used to smoke in cars with kids in back......Doesn't make it right

I personally don't usually drive faster than 75-80mph, but I don't see a problem going a little faster in perfect conditions. Most tires are speed rated to at least 130mph, so they're not going to blow out at 90mph if properly maintained and changed every 30,000 miles...

that stretch of highway is like driving in Montana. Straight and flat and easy. You feel like you could do 120 and be ok. There were PLENTY of cars passing me today . Many of which had to be going 90+

Yup, when I was in college and stupid, I've hit 115mph on I-91. I mean like miles and miles of straight interstate...you can see the interstate like 10 miles ahead going down eastern VT into Mass. And rarely do you see any state troopers. On that note, An off-duty trooper got tagged doing 130mph in that area of the Rockingham barracks. If there is one place to go fast in VT it's down I-91. And you'll have stretches where you can see miles ahead and behind and not see another car in any direction.

Yup, when I was in college and stupid, I've hit 115mph on I-91. I mean like miles and miles of straight interstate...you can see the interstate like 10 miles ahead going down eastern VT into Mass. And rarely do you see any state troopers. On that note, An off-duty trooper got tagged doing 130mph in that area of the Rockingham barracks. If there is one place to go fast in VT it's down I-91. And you'll have stretches where you can see miles ahead and behind and not see another car in any direction.

Are we talking about the same I-91?  I drove up and down that numerous times going to Lyndon and with the exception of a couple of stretches where the road is straight for maybe a mile, there are plenty of hills and curves, especially south of I-89.  I know around the 100 mile marker or so north of 89 there is one really straight stretch but nothing like the interstates out west.  There you have high visibility and you can be the only car on the road except some interstates like I-80 or I-70.

75 is plenty fast enough for me.  An extra 10-20 minutes isn't worth it over 200 miles.

Here is a Google terrain map of I-91 for the 30 mile stretch from the Mass. border to Bellows Falls:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9453655,-72.5606663,11z/data=!5m1!1e4

This is a larger scale over view so it doesn't have the most detail but you can still see sweeping curves.  You can see by the terrain that the highway rises and falls.

Compare that to this 30 mile stretch in Mass. north of Northampton:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4482879,-72.495435,11z/data=!5m1!1e4

I drive that stretch on a monthly basis and have been driving it for 30 years and would not call the stretch in Vermont flat and straight.

Notice how flat and straight the interstate is.  I don't think the two are comparable.

can get to my grandfathers in southern quebec in 3hrs 30 min its 252 miles from my house take 91 all the way to the border it is straight and easy to go fast on only a couple spots with curves 

It's flat and straight pretty much the whole way except for a couple spots. I just drove it 2x in 24 hours

I took a stroll down memory lane this morning. The January banter thread had some classic material. I forgot about joking with Ginxy about face planting on a granite ledge while sledding with 2" of snow OTG. Some good material in there. The usual few saying the pattern will never change etc. Was a little uncanny seeing Ray post about getting a late month blockbuster in order to make his Jan numbers.

Hey Mike no actually Massachusetts which is fine with me. Right by 128 as you likely know. Might be commute from the parents house starting in December to save some $.

Great.

Getting some dry brown grass now around here. It seems like we've had a lot of storms just miss and split up here. Although other areas nearby have substantially less rain than me I think.

That'll change this week.  Green and lush faster than you can start a mower.

Archived