joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

88F at CON yesterday???

Really?

Yeah our climate guy is actively looking into the equipment right now. The biggest problem is probably that it's hard to prove anything is actually wrong  when none of the sensors are reporting errors and conditions are meteorologically possible.

75 is like the perfect speed for me. Gets you there fast without being reckless.

Only once did I drive faster than that for a significant time - returning to NNJ from a ski week at the old Glen Ellen in Jan 1971, I sped down the Thruway at 85+ in my '69 Nova coupe with its 230 cu. straight 6.  Got 14 mpg instead of the usual 21-22.  Even back then I was too cheap to do that again.

Yeah our climate guy is actively looking into the equipment right now. The biggest problem is probably that it's hard to prove anything is actually wrong  when none of the sensors are reporting errors and conditions are meteorologically possible.

Usually their highs run right in line with those local meso sites (Soucook and Suncook River HADS sites). They were 86 and 85 respectively yesterday. MHT was 86 and ASH was 85. I seem to run cool and avg about 3-4F cooler than CON for max temps in July, but I only had 81 yesterday. I'm not sure I've ever been 7F cooler on a well mixed day like yesterday.

Their mins have seemed okay...maybe a hair warmer than usual, but nothing that stands out. I'd assume a $ flag would pop up if the aspirator failed?

Usually their highs run right in line with those local meso sites (Soucook and Suncook River HADS sites). They were 86 and 85 respectively yesterday. MHT was 86 and ASH was 85. I seem to run cool and avg about 3-4F cooler than CON for max temps in July, but I only had 81 yesterday. I'm not sure I've ever been 7F cooler on a well mixed day like yesterday.

Their mins have seemed okay...maybe a hair warmer than usual, but nothing that stands out. I'd assume a $ flag would pop up if the aspirator failed?

Yeah you would see "$" following any observation with an error on the ASOS. The techs are going to be monitoring it all day today to see if they can catch anything.

Yeah you would see "$" following any observation with an error on the ASOS. The techs are going to be monitoring it all day today to see if they can catch anything.

It's been pretty dry down there...even moreso than here. Maybe the airport fields look like Yuma.

Are we talking about the same I-91?  I drove up and down that numerous times going to Lyndon and with the exception of a couple of stretches where the road is straight for maybe a mile, there are plenty of hills and curves, especially south of I-89.  I know around the 100 mile marker or so north of 89 there is one really straight stretch but nothing like the interstates out west.  There you have high visibility and you can be the only car on the road except some interstates like I-80 or I-70.

75 is plenty fast enough for me.  An extra 10-20 minutes isn't worth it over 200 miles.

It's flat and straight pretty much the whole way except for a couple spots. I just drove it 2x in 24 hours

can get to my grandfathers in southern quebec in 3hrs 30 min its 252 miles from my house take 91 all the way to the border it is straight and easy to go fast on only a couple spots with curves 

I'll be heading down I-91 to CT in a couple weekends... will take some pics, haha.  I just think it is a pretty darn straight boring highway with good visibility well downstream.  Although the Bolton Flats on I-89 will take the real cake for long-straight stretches, but since its between MPV/Waterbury/Burlington its always got at least a steady traffic on it. 

75 is my speed as well... because that seems to be the spot you can set your cruise control on and not get stopped by the rouge troooper.  I did get ticketed once on I-89 for doing 79mph in a 65 about 5 years ago.  Since then I cap it around 75.

You forgot that Tolland has super adiabatic lapse rates

I'm not sure that's not right.  I'm about 850' above the Greenfield rotary.  My car thermometer (which reads within a degree of my Davis) frequently drops 7* during the heat of the day when I climb from there to home.  Perhaps it's different here than in Tolland because the drop off from the hills into the valley is so abrupt on the western side of the river?  Perhaps because the drop here is to the east rather than the west? 

A little warm too oppressive for COC today.  Lots of wood being cut and split.

80.6/69

I'm not sure that's not right.  I'm about 850' above the Greenfield rotary.  My car thermometer (which reads within a degree of my Davis) frequently drops 7* during the heat of the day when I climb from there to home.  Perhaps it's different here than in Tolland because the drop off from the hills into the valley is so abrupt on the western side of the river?  Perhaps because the drop here is to the east rather than the west? 

A little warm too oppressive for COC today.  Lots of wood being cut and split.

80.6/69

You can get super adiabatic lapse rates on the lee of steep mountains if it's a downslope wind and dry air. But there are likely other factors involved. I'd bet there's some UHI factor down in Greenfield vs your area and if there's more trees up the road and your thermo isn't shielded, then that will factor in as well.

You can get super adiabatic lapse rates on the lee of steep mountains if it's a downslope wind and dry air. But there are likely other factors involved. I'd bet there's some UHI factor down in Greenfield vs your area and if there's more trees up the road and your thermo isn't shielded, then that will factor in as well.

Perhaps.  While of course I run several degrees warmer than the highlands like Savoy/Florida/Worthington/Heath my temp is consistent with other stations in the area, typically round a degree or so +/- with the Charlemont station and the ones in Ashfield/Plainfield. 

Yeah, even here where MVL can downslope down the east side of Mansfield in well mixed air, the lapse rates between MMNV1 and MVL always make sense and I've never seen a 7F/lapse rate. It's almost always spot on 4-5F/1kft during well mixed days.

I feel like there's something more going on between the 1,000ft hills in SNE and the valley urban areas than just steep lapse rates. It's like going from cool forested MPM or HubbDave land down to open hot pavement-land UHI in the more populated areas.

Yeah, even here where MVL can downslope down the east side of Mansfield in well mixed air, the lapse rates between MMNV1 and MVL always make sense and I've never seen a 7F/lapse rate. It's almost always spot on 4-5F/1kft during well mixed days.

I feel like there's something more going on between the 1,000ft hills in SNE and the valley urban areas than just steep lapse rates. It's like going from cool forested MPM or HubbDave land down to open hot pavement-land UHI in the more populated areas.

Yes..UHI is definitely a factor along with evapotranspiration. Of course, in the winter, the evapotranspiration part will be eliminated.

Yes..UHI is definitely a factor along with evapotranspiration. Of course, in the winter, the evapotranspiration part will be eliminated.

Yeah and I bet the differences aren't nearly as great in the winter with regards to some of these spots.

I just have a hard time believing the super-lapse rates in the boundary layer, when I've seen time and time again up here that the various official stations from MMNV1 down to MPV, MVL, and BTV almost always follow a textbook lapse rate. But they are all sited away from trees with good open air mixing.

The super lapse rates to me indicate different sitings...like MPM might see 7-8F differences on his car at a traffic light in Greenfield, but if he went and sat under the pines in Hippy's yard would that difference still hold or would it be maybe only 4F different?

Archived