joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another couple months till the first mountain snows...though could come as early as a month from now.

I used to love storms in September when I was at Lyndon.  Early in the month it would be all rain but subsequent storms would leave the top of Burke Mt white and level would get lower with each storm.  Sometimes it was so awesome looking at the white capped mountains.

I used to love storms in September when I was at Lyndon. Early in the month it would be all rain but subsequent storms would leave the top of Burke Mt white and level would get lower with each storm. Sometimes it was so awesome looking at the white capped mountains.

There is nothing more invigorating than that first fall morning where you wake up and look up at the mountain and see white on the upper slopes. Usually after an overnight rain in town so it's all wet with some leaves on the ground and 40F in town. But all night it was 28-32F and snowing above 3000ft.

I also love riding an ATV up through the snow line, when you start out at the base and then 15-20 minutes later you are in full winter at the top. The squeak of the snow under the tires and how quiet it all gets.

I refuse to buy a book from the store at the school unless I absolutely have to.

I look everywhere else, usually starting with chegg or Amazon.

Unfortunately, schools are catching on. More and more books are being made as school specific, so you have to purchase for an insane price at the bookstore and then have to sell it back to them because Amazon or some other site won't take it.

Textbooks = biggest scam in college

I refuse to buy a book from the store at the school unless I absolutely have to.

I look everywhere else, usually starting with chegg or Amazon.

Unfortunately, schools are catching on. More and more books are being made as school specific, so you have to purchase for an insane price at the bookstore and then have to sell it back to them because Amazon or some other site won't take it.

Textbooks = biggest scam in college

I rented from Chegg quite a bit and never had a problem.  I only tried straight electronic textbooks a couple of times.  I never found a format that I liked.

I rented from Chegg quite a bit and never had a problem. I only tried straight electronic textbooks a couple of times. I never found a format that I liked.

I like chegg a lot. They usually will give you like 7-14 days of electronic book use while your book ships, which is really helpful.

I also try to hold off on buying a book as long as possible

There is nothing more invigorating than that first fall morning where you wake up and look up at the mountain and see white on the upper slopes. Usually after an overnight rain in town so it's all wet with some leaves on the ground and 40F in town. But all night it was 28-32F and snowing above 3000ft.

I also love riding an ATV up through the snow line, when you start out at the base and then 15-20 minutes later you are in full winter at the top. The squeak of the snow under the tires and how quiet it all gets.

Yup remember feeling this way at Middlebury as well. Loved waking up to wet leaves and then seeing the whitecapped peaks.

Also, the silence of the snow is great. Muffles everything.

I like chegg a lot. They usually will give you like 7-14 days of electronic book use while your book ships, which is really helpful.

I also try to hold off on buying a book as long as possible

Lol, I actually went to some classes while still waiting for my book to arrive.

I rented from Chegg quite a bit and never had a problem.  I only tried straight electronic textbooks a couple of times.  I never found a format that I liked.

electronic books can be pretty damn cheap, however, I couldn't envision myself liking e-books.  I've never used chegg to get books but I used chegg like crazy for help all throughout all the calculus classes and I think for chem II as well.  The $15 a month was beyond worth it.  

yay got my "Exercises for Weather & Climate book" in the mail!  I'm a little upset though...I paid like $30 or something to have my books shipped overnight but apparently they only sent me this one book and my other met book wasn't included in that so I have to wait for that...I thought it would ship them both overnight :thumbsdown:

random question, but how many ski resorts usually open up by late November early December?

Might be planning a trip up north in that time frame, and I know not all places will be running, regardless of what the weather is like

a dozen or so depending on the snowmaking weather and capabilities, have had some great Dec 1s and some horrible ones.

random question, but how many ski resorts usually open up by late November early December?

Might be planning a trip up north in that time frame, and I know not all places will be running, regardless of what the weather is like

All of the major resorts will be open then barring any incredible November warmth. Terrain will be limited though.

Archived