• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

my cousin was visiting Kish (island in the persian gulf) a couple years ago for a week . He said that most of the time you needed to have your windshield wipers on when driving b/c of how quickly you would get condensation.

Looks like a fun place.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/OIBK/2015/7/31/MonthlyHistory.html?&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6-7 weeks until first frosts in the nearby valleys?

Probably.  My gardening friends up in Twin Mountain had frost during that June cold snap... I think the 6th?  The gardening there is about as pointless as trying to grow watermelon at Saranac Lake.

enjoy, did your pool ever hit 80? oh well there is always next year

No.  Some dumbass kids went in the pool with barbells so they could "walk" on the bottom.  They dropped them many times over the course of a day it's a vinyl liner.  It's so full of leaks we have to put a ton of ice cold water in every day. 

Probably.  My gardening friends up in Twin Mountain had frost during that June cold snap... I think the 6th?  The gardening there is about as pointless as trying to grow watermelon at Saranac Lake.

No.  Some dumbass kids went in the pool with barbells so they could "walk" on the bottom.  They dropped them many times over the course of a day it's a vinyl liner.  It's so full of leaks we have to put a ton of ice cold water in every day. 

That sucks, friggin dumb kids

It could happen sooner up there.

I like to tell the story of I think August 67 or so , we went to MWN. It was in the 70s at the base of the COG railway  My mom and Dad let my sister and I go up the COG. We were in tee shirts,we got up there and all of a sudden the wind picked up tremendously, rain started which quickly turned to flakes, we were rushed back to the Cog and sent back down. That night we had rented a cabin in Maine on a lake and it got well below freezing. I think that trip sealed the deal on my weeniedom, although I was halfway there already.

Must be time for the quarterly morals debate again.  Basically every single person on this forum is here because they like weather that is dangerous or unpleasant to some group of people.

Yup, though "unpleasant to most people" might be closer to the truth.  How often do the TV forecasters (not in BTV or a ski town) talk up how great the big snowstorm/TS/TC/whatever "interesting" wx, will be?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY ME HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO
NEAR WARNER IN MERRIMACK COUNTY NEW HAMPSHIRE ON JULY 30 2015.

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR ROUTE 103 TO THE EAST OF THE
EXIT 9 INTERCHANGE ON INTERSTATE 89...THEN MOVED NORTHEAST CROSSING
SPLIT ROCK ROAD AND LIFTING OFF THE GROUND JUST PRIOR TO REACHING
KEARSARGE MOUNTAIN ROAD. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OCCURRED
BETWEEN SPLIT ROCK AND KEARSARGE MOUNTAIN ROADS WHERE THE TORNADO
SNAPPED OR UPROOTED ABOUT 25 TREES AND TORE A PORTION OF THE ROOF
OFF A LARGE STORAGE BUILDING. A 12-FT BY 24-FT SECTION OF THE ROOF
WAS FOUND IN A WOODED AREA ABOUT 200 YARDS FROM THE BUILDING...
HOWEVER...MOST OF THE MISSING ROOF WAS NOT LOCATED.

THIS IS THE FIRST KNOWN TORNADO IN NEW HAMPSHIRE IN 2015. THE
LAST TORNADO/WATERSPOUT IN NEW HAMPSHIRE OCCURRED OVER
LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE ON JULY 24 2014. THE LAST TORNADO IN
MERRIMACK COUNTY WAS JULY 24 2008

I like to tell the story of I think August 67 or so , we went to MWN. It was in the 70s at the base of the COG railway  My mom and Dad let my sister and I go up the COG. We were in tee shirts,we got up there and all of a sudden the wind picked up tremendously, rain started which quickly turned to flakes, we were rushed back to the Cog and sent back down. That night we had rented a cabin in Maine on a lake and it got well below freezing. I think that trip sealed the deal on my weeniedom, although I was halfway there already.

I'm guessing it was 1965, perhaps the 28th when the temp dived (low on 27th was 47) and p-type changed.  Here are that year's numbers for MWN:

8/28....51....29...037....T

8/29....30....22...0.23...1.6

8/30....26....20...0.20...0.9

8/31....39....22......0.......0

When I lived in Ft. Kent, our biggest logging contractor had his office on the US side of the border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ, in a flat spot 1,000' ASL.  After losing his garden on 4th of July weekend 4 straight years, he gave it up.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY ME HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO

NEAR WARNER IN MERRIMACK COUNTY NEW HAMPSHIRE ON JULY 30 2015.

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN NEAR ROUTE 103 TO THE EAST OF THE

EXIT 9 INTERCHANGE ON INTERSTATE 89...THEN MOVED NORTHEAST CROSSING

SPLIT ROCK ROAD AND LIFTING OFF THE GROUND JUST PRIOR TO REACHING

KEARSARGE MOUNTAIN ROAD. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OCCURRED

BETWEEN SPLIT ROCK AND KEARSARGE MOUNTAIN ROADS WHERE THE TORNADO

SNAPPED OR UPROOTED ABOUT 25 TREES AND TORE A PORTION OF THE ROOF

OFF A LARGE STORAGE BUILDING. A 12-FT BY 24-FT SECTION OF THE ROOF

WAS FOUND IN A WOODED AREA ABOUT 200 YARDS FROM THE BUILDING...

HOWEVER...MOST OF THE MISSING ROOF WAS NOT LOCATED.

THIS IS THE FIRST KNOWN TORNADO IN NEW HAMPSHIRE IN 2015. THE

LAST TORNADO/WATERSPOUT IN NEW HAMPSHIRE OCCURRED OVER

LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE ON JULY 24 2014. THE LAST TORNADO IN

MERRIMACK COUNTY WAS JULY 24 2008

14mi to my SW as the crow flies.

post-3-0-82832900-1438376135_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing it was 1965, perhaps the 28th when the temp dived (low on 27th was 47) and p-type changed.  Here are that year's numbers for MWN:

8/28....51....29...037....T

8/29....30....22...0.23...1.6

8/30....26....20...0.20...0.9

8/31....39....22......0.......0

When I lived in Ft. Kent, our biggest logging contractor had his office on the US side of the border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ, in a flat spot 1,000' ASL.  After losing his garden on 4th of July weekend 4 straight years, he gave it up.

probably, ten years old sounds about right

Archived