• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer's Over

WEATHER53

My +2 forecast for June looks good and -1  for July and -2 for August still quite confident about.

You can see my summer outlook over in forecasting discussion in Isotherm's winter forecast thread.

Went for 30-35 90+, increased tropical activity, and around average rainfall.

The dominant temperature scheme from here on out is going to be mid to upper 80's for highs and some occassional 90-95 wont be able to put DC into plus values.  Lots of nightime lows in 60's.

The influx of -10 values this weekend will obviously not be a common occurrence the rest of the way but it is indicative of what lies ahead.

Some of the winter pieces have shown themselves and so far so good.

I'll challenge you on this one. Once the IO subsidence ends, the +PNA ridge should retrograde into the GOA/Aleutian domain, and the SE ridge will probably return. I'm thinking this occurs between July 5th and July 10th. If anything, I suspect July will turn out warmer than average regionwide.

Analogous to what we'd expect under a degrading MJO and developing CCKW/high frequency forcing regime, the EPS, NAEFS, bias-corrected GEFS, and GGEM ensembles all retrograde the western ridge into the GOA and bring bring back the heat/SE ridge between the 4th and the 7th of July.

My +2 forecast for June looks good and -1  for July and -2 for August still quite confident about.

You can see my summer outlook over in forecasting discussion in Isotherm's winter forecast thread.

Went for 30-35 90+, increased tropical activity, and around average rainfall.

The dominant temperature scheme from here on out is going to be mid to upper 80's for highs and some occassional 90-95 wont be able to put DC into plus values.  Lots of nightime lows in 60's.

The influx of -10 values this weekend will obviously not be a common occurrence the rest of the way but it is indicative of what lies ahead.

Some of the winter pieces have shown themselves and so far so good.

I realize that it could be a lot worse, but that sure as heck sounds like summer to me.

Thats funny, I was just thinking July might end up warmer relative to average than June was.

The low-frequency WPAC forcing & coinciding IO subsidence responsible for the eastern troughing is now progressing, and higher frequency forcing should be entering the IO during the 2nd week of July. Analogs point to a strong SE ridge in such a forcing regimen.

See below..notice the forcing reversal in the off-equatorial WPAC..that dateline subsidence correlates strongly to eastern ridging:

2RwmGP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would say DC area has been experiencing a less hot than typical summer. The skewed nightime mins have held temps into + territory but since I created this thread there have only been 3 90+ days with about 13/14 daytime highs at or below average. Once again a projected streak of 90+ is forecasted starting Saturday but I think by the time it gets here it will be more mid to upper 80's and some of these upper 70's low 80's for July highs is unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I wrote this over a month ago there have been 6 90+ days at DCA, 4 92 or lower. One genuine 2 day heat streak. DCA nightime mins have caused the + values, most stations right around average so pretty much a benign run since the thread started.

Since when does a warmer-than-average July constitute the end of summer? It looks like we're back into a +2 to +4 pattern starting Sunday/Monday, which should allow the month to finish warmer than average region wide.

Archived