EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
April 2015 General disco

Geos

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing so hard at times its knocking visibilities down pretty good. Nice minor coating on my neighbor's freshly planted flowers. Whoops.

Wow, your neighbors actually went ahead and planted annual flowers in April! 

I won't even do that until about May 10th.

Holding in the 40s with solid cloud cover here at 2pm. Wind strong enough to take down some small limbs.

Nearly every late March and April we get stretches of warm to very warm weather.  The perennials shoot up and bloom and the trees leaf out.  It's very tempting to think it's ok to plant annuals in the garden, but you just can't do it.  It is still too easy to get a frost or freeze with any switch to a northwest flow.  I have a few trays of annual hummingbird plants (salvias, cupheas) that I've been moving in and out of the house/garage recently, but I never plant them until the first mild/warm stretch in May.

Yep, I agree Geos and Hawkeye. People should know better than to plant annuals in April regardless of how warm it's been. I wasn't here yet, but I believe it snowed here the first week of May last year. So there's very recent proof that April is not a good time to plant.

Lows in the mid 20s the next few nights should polish off those flowers if the snow doesn't.

Chance of below freezing temperatures next four nights. As a matter of fact a couple nights could dip well into the 20's. That cant be good.

Terrible. Luckily most of the perennials have been very slow to emerge so far, but a lot of trees and shrubs haven't been so timid.

building faces NW and this is some of the most swaying i can remember

Yikes, how many floors up are you?

Snowing so hard at times its knocking visibilities down pretty good. Nice minor coating on my neighbor's freshly planted flowers. Whoops.

You aren't even supposed to plant here until after Mother's Day just to be sure. Granted, I've jumped the gun before many times by a week or two and been fine, but still.

Pansies are usually fine any time after the snow melts, though. Only problem is they look like crap or have died by the time it starts getting above 85 or 90 because they can't take much heat. I hope that's what they planted.

Howling wind and the temperature dropped 6 degrees this hour, gusting to 47 MPH at DTW.

I had some blue skies in between these lake effect type cells this morning, and I saw one coming in that looked pretty convective almost like a small tstorm, when it got here, it gusted to near 50mph (my estimate) It was roaring outside with sleet / graupel coming down heavily.

I had some blue skies in between these lake effect type cells this morning, and I saw one coming in that looked pretty convective almost like a small tstorm, when it got here, it gusted to near 50mph (my estimate) It was roaring outside with sleet / graupel coming down heavily.

No wintry precip here yet, temp is down to 43 though IMBY so one of these last little pockets of precip might do it.

Mid 30s forecast tonight and now upper 20s for tomorrow night. At work a 3-4" across limb came down inches from someone's car. 

Peak wind gusts were up near 40 mph only, but it seemed like the wind today was blowing constantly near and over 30 mph.

This week is going to erase the positive departure for the month we had going.

Archived