• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2015 General disco

Geos

That IS really weird. During the day it makes sense because of the proximity of City Airport to Lake St. Clair, but at night it's more puzzling. Even at that, it was colder yesterday at times than even the lake is.

I remember back in the 90's when I was a kid, City Airport was almost ALWAYS was the warm spot out of the two. Heck, even during that long stretch with no 100 degree days at Detroit from 1995 to 2011, it made it to 102 and 100 respectively on a couple of days in that 5 day heatwave of August 2001. DTW only managed 96 and 99 degrees.

Part of the issues is the de-urbanization of land immediately around City Airport.

Up until the 90s, City Airport was surrounded by very dense urban neighborhoods (similar to SW Detroit). Now, mostly urban prairies, which of course don't heat as efficiently and radiate faster, make up the area around City Airport.

In this case, it was also the wind off Lake St. Clair and simply the proximity to the synoptic features. DET was closer to the core of the Polar Vortex NE of us than DTW was...

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have one more crummy day to endure.  This system isn't panning out the way it appeared a couple days ago (system is more sheared out with a weaker surge of precip up into Iowa), but we're still getting light rain, wind, and a chilly temp in the low 40s.

Same out this way. Light morning rain, blustery NE winds and 44°.

49 degrees at Indy with showers and t storms approaching from the sw.  Had hoped to go downtown to White River State Park for the Earth Day celebration and resource vendors this afternoon but weather has changed my plans.  Guess I'll read and watch the radar today.  Wondering how far north the warm front will get wrt svr chances in southern parts of our region.  996 mb low over nw MO at present.  NWS says some strong to svr storms could occur to my south as destabilization commences later today.

49 degrees at Indy with showers and t storms approaching from the sw.  Had hoped to go downtown to White River State Park for the Earth Day celebration and resource vendors this afternoon but weather has changed my plans.  Guess I'll read and watch the radar today.  Wondering how far north the warm front will get wrt svr chances in southern parts of our region.  996 mb low over nw MO at present.  NWS says some strong to svr storms could occur to my south as destabilization commences later today.

I considered chasing down there today since I don't have anything else going on, but I don't know the area that well, the risk seems marginal unless you get near or south of the Ohio river, and I know the terrain is not conducive to chasing.

I considered chasing down there today since I don't have anything else going on, but I don't know the area that well, the risk seems marginal unless you get near or south of the Ohio river, and I know the terrain is not conducive to chasing.

Wait for better chase days and good weather for fishing and morel hunting.

We have one more crummy day to endure.  This system isn't panning out the way it appeared a couple days ago (system is more sheared out with a weaker surge of precip up into Iowa), but we're still getting light rain, wind, and a chilly temp in the low 40s.

The run of the GFS the other day showed 3/4 inch of rain up here...ended up with .10 ...  and nothing today.  Dry/cold and blah today...very dry stretch coming (if you believe the GFS) with warming temps...hopefully 70Fs next week.

Sure doesn't feel like late April at all. Positive departure has been erased for the month as of today. Doesn't look like any measurable rain will fall here today. 

Plants/greenery are pretty much have been on hold the last 5 days.

At least it's not the Great Blizzard of April 19-21, 1901, which dumped up to 42" of heavy, wet snow in parts of east and southeast Ohio, crushing buildings, and wreaking havoc on trees, telephone and telegraph lines. In addition, high winds, reportedly up to 60 mph, created drifts from 4 to 10 feet in spots.

post-12565-0-80956300-1429991577_thumb.j

post-12565-0-52572300-1429991932_thumb.j

1.22" rain total here.  Best rain in a looooong time.  Nice thundery downpours last evening, and a nice steady/soaking rain all morning today.  Cold and miserable out there with the gusty east winds, but it's nice to see a good rain again.  Looks like Ireland out there with the dark green grass, and trees really starting to leaf out now.

Snow cant stop baseball in Pittsburgh & Detroit. Definitely a keeper lol

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/v84936283/snow-cant-stop-baseball-in-pittsburgh-detroit/?query=snow

That is a great video.

Part of the issues is the de-urbanization of land immediately around City Airport.

Up until the 90s, City Airport was surrounded by very dense urban neighborhoods (similar to SW Detroit). Now, mostly urban prairies, which of course don't heat as efficiently and radiate faster, make up the area around City Airport.

In this case, it was also the wind off Lake St. Clair and simply the proximity to the synoptic features. DET was closer to the core of the Polar Vortex NE of us than DTW was...

That's a good point, I actually heard the city was buying up the swaths of mostly empty land around the end of the runways so they can possibly extend them to accommodate passenger aircraft again like they once did. Kind of off topic, but I thought it was kind of cool.

Tell me about it. Freezing our butts off at my sons lacrosse game.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That looks depressing.

Rough day yesterday with temps in the 40's and blustery winds, but a good soaker (local amounts below). Deep deep green grass. 

LAF: 0.70"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.04"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 1.21"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 0.88"

West Lafayette 2.8 NNE: 0.81"

West Lafayette 4.9 W: 0.94"

That is a great video.

That's a good point, I actually heard the city was buying up the swaths of mostly empty land around the end of the runways so they can possibly extend them to accommodate passenger aircraft again like they once did. Kind of off topic, but I thought it was kind of cool.

That looks depressing.

I suppose the de-urbanization around Detroit City Airport causing lower temps at times makes sense. However, that only further magnitizes the effects of UHI in many if not most other stations, including DTW. Yes, DTW is in a semi-rural area, but right around the airport is much more built up compared to 30 years ago.

Rough day yesterday with temps in the 40's and blustery winds, but a good soaker (local amounts below). Deep deep green grass. 

LAF: 0.70"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.04"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 1.21"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 0.88"

West Lafayette 2.8 NNE: 0.81"

West Lafayette 4.9 W: 0.94"

LAF bringing up the rear again...

I had 29F... can't believe it dipped that low.  Must have been between obs.  Should be a nice stretch now.

Scratch that - intra hour low of 32°. 

Reached 54° today with full sun all day. A lot better than yesterday!

Archived