Newest Member
    joxey
April 2015 General disco

Geos

Record snow here today lol

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
0800 PM EDT WED APR 22 2015

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF A TRACE WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY. THIS TIES
THE OLD RECORD OF A TRACE SET IN 1999.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too shabby off of Lake Erie right now...

post-525-0-97226800-1429758541_thumb.jpg

The DTX, APX and GRB 0z soundings all suggest inversion heights near or just a little below 10k feet tonight with the lake to 850mb temp differential improving to 13-15C+ later tonight with -8 to -10C air at 850mb moving over the western basin which has water temps in the mid to upper 40's. There's a pretty describable surface trough over northern lower MI dropping SE, so my guess is the current band hangs on in some way, shape or form through the night and probably peaks in intensity just before dawn as the trough passes before weakening later tomorrow morning. Temps are in the upper 30's so even though the precip type appears to be all snow or graupel right now it probably isn't sticking anywhere in NE Ohio. We'll see how things go if the band sits for a while or temps cool a little more...I could certainly see a 1-3" type accum for someone just east of Cleveland which isn't bad for late April...we haven't had accumulating snow this late in the month since April 23-25, 2005.

I'll be in Athens where it's mostly clear and chilly right now.

Down to 36 here.  Should dip below freezing by daybreak.

Had to discontinue weather station upload again, as the driver that I need to run the software is apparently not compatible with W8.1.  Kept crashing the pc.  Very frustrating how sensitive some of these op systems are to little things like driver compatibility.  

I actually had to brush snow off my car this morning. While I'm ready for spring, it's always nice to see a bit of snow falling.

Had 2" on the deck this morning, slightly less in the grass. Even passed a salt truck in Solon this morning. Good call last night OHweather!

I see we hit 28F...but it must have been between obs..  The nws reports on the hour....how often does the data actually get reported?  every minute?  Is that kept somewhere that is accessible on the internet or do they keep that to themselves?

Other then that..looks like a nice day today...next week COULD torch... 

Had 2" on the deck this morning, slightly less in the grass. Even passed a salt truck in Solon this morning. Good call last night OHweather!

CLE's PNS had some 1-2" reports, not too bad for so late. After a morning low of 28 it's already 51 in Athens, actually doesn't feel too bad after yesterday!

Knocked about 1.5 degrees off the month's positive temperature anomaly over the past few days and currently sit at +2.7.  The remaining days should not be as far below average as what we saw yesterday so the departure by months end may end up at 0 or just above.

Few scattered flurries today, though not as much as yesterday. Looks and feels like late November or early December.

April 23rd and the 1pm game time temp at Comerica Park was 33F. Wow.

Crazy. Been in the low 30's all day here, but there wasn't any frost last night. It actually was colder at noon than it was overnight.

I wish / hope the potential saturday night snowstorm around here would trend 40 miles more north as it has been seeming to trend north and stronger almost every model run, I'm at 42" now for the seasonal snow total, and well if it is going to be cold I might as well root for more snow lol, 33 degree rain does nothing for me so bring it on!!!

Made it to 37 under full sun today. was able to melt some snow off but it's still covering everything here.

Thought this was pretty cool:

The clearing skies today offered a unique look at the snow that fell over the past few days. Snow showers tracked NW to SE over this time, with some snow showers producing high snowfall rates. The paths of the heaviest showers can be seen as streaks of remaining snow cover on satellite. Most of these streaks are only about two miles wide, showing how snowfall can vary considerably over small distances.

Archived