• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 2015 General disco

Geos

Gil Sebenste of NIU Weather thinks that all modes of svr could occur Sunday south of a Peoria-Rensselaer line including the possibility of some significant tornadoes.  I wonder what he is seeing that SPC isn't at present.

Strange.  Highly sheared environment but instability is lacking to say the least.

Sam Lashley at IWX perked my ears up this afternoon.  He says to watch to warm front.  I pay attention to what Sam says when it comes to severe, he knows his stuff.  In fact, he was one of the mets that made the catch on the Henryville tornado, great video.

ALSO...AS THE WARM FRONT LIFTS NORTH...SUBSTANTIAL LOW LEVEL SHEAR WILL SPREAD OVER THE AREA. 0-3KM

HELICITY IS FORECAST TO EXCEED 1000 M2S2 WITH NEARLY 50 M/S SHEAR IN THIS LAYER...ALTHOUGH THE NAM IS INDICATING LITTLE IF ANY CAPE. BELIEVE THIS SITUATION STILL NEEDS TO BE WATCHED GIVEN THE POTENTIAL

FOR SUPERCELLS PRODUCING STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS.

Maybe we'll be able to fire up the short term severe thread again.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't quote me on this but I think a warmer than average April (which seems likely as the upcoming below average temps probably won't be enough to erase the positive departures) leads to a greater likelihood of the upcoming summer being average to above average compared to when April is cooler than average.  I think Tim or I looked into it before.

I have some stats for Indianapolis (data for the airport, since 1943). Not much of a correlation, though I guess cooler than average Aprils would somewhat favor a cooler than average Summer. Warm Aprils favor "average" Summers (somewhere between +0.9˚ and -0.9˚). All this taken with a grain of salt of course.

Warm Aprils (+1˚ or warmer)

Above average Summer: 9

Average Summer: 13

Below average Summer: 8

Cool Aprils (-1˚ or cooler)

Above average Summer: 7

Average Summer: 9

Below average Summer: 10  

Sam Lashley at IWX perked my ears up this afternoon.  He says to watch to warm front.  I pay attention to what Sam says when it comes to severe, he knows his stuff.  In fact, he was one of the mets that made the catch on the Henryville tornado, great video.

ALSO...AS THE WARM FRONT LIFTS NORTH...SUBSTANTIAL LOW LEVEL SHEAR WILL SPREAD OVER THE AREA. 0-3KM

HELICITY IS FORECAST TO EXCEED 1000 M2S2 WITH NEARLY 50 M/S SHEAR IN THIS LAYER...ALTHOUGH THE NAM IS INDICATING LITTLE IF ANY CAPE. BELIEVE THIS SITUATION STILL NEEDS TO BE WATCHED GIVEN THE POTENTIAL

FOR SUPERCELLS PRODUCING STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS.

Maybe we'll be able to fire up the short term severe thread again.

I guess.  Haven't looked at it much to be honest but events like 4/20/04 serve as a reminder to keep an eye on these things.

I have some stats for Indianapolis (data for the airport, since 1943). Not much of a correlation, though I guess cooler than average Aprils would somewhat favor a cooler than average Summer. Warm Aprils favor "average" Summers (somewhere between +0.9˚ and -0.9˚). All this taken with a grain of salt of course.

Warm Aprils (+1˚ or warmer)

Above average Summer: 9  (30%)

Average Summer: 13  (43.3%)

Below average Summer: 8  (26.7%)

Cool Aprils (-1˚ or cooler)

Above average Summer: 7  (26.9%)

Average Summer: 9  (34.6%)

Below average Summer: 10  (38.5%)

Added some percentages for each grouping.  Not huge as you said but a somewhat better chance of getting an average or warmer than average summer when April is on the warm side.

I guess. Haven't looked at it much to be honest but events like 4/20/04 serve as a reminder to keep an eye on these things.

I could be wrong but I really don't see the threat area even being in central IN and IL on Sunday. There's really no instability to speak of on current guidance (18z NAM and GFS have basically 0 MUCAPE), as well as poor midlevel lapse rates. It's obviously a good rule of thumb to be wary of the warm frontal zone of a decently strong sfc low this time of year, but at this time it appears clouds and precip will preclude even minimal destabilization of the warm sector. Also, mid and upper level flow is actually pretty weak, so while there is good low level veering and decent turning with height, deep layer shear is a bit lacking. My thinking today was setup is more favorable for heavy rainfall than severe in most of the subforum, with focus of heavier rains depending on track of the surface low.

So it's Ryan, Ricky and the SPC vs. Sam and Gil. You guys are probably right due to lack of CAPE, but I'm jonesing for some action.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying my preview of summer tomorrow while trying to catch some fish. Then next weekend I'll try to find some morels, regardless of the cutoff low mucking things up.

Mid 30s in the forecast for low next week, so it seems at least some more frosts are on the way. Haven't seen many flowering trees yet, except a few Magnolia's and some crab apple's in the immediate area. I'm sure further inland more trees have blossomed. 

Peaked at 76° today.

---

0z NAM has the low at 989mb near Terre Haute at 21z Sunday. 986mb by 3z over South Bend. Totally soaker for north central and northeast IL.

DVN just posted this on their fb page.  Appreciable rain amounts are hard to come by in the QCA here in 2015 apparently.

"Like Bowling?? If you do, you know how frustrating a split can be! For those needing rain, Central Iowa will be wet Saturday and Sunday, while Illinois only sees rain likely on Sunday. If you live near the Mississippi river in Iowa or Illinois, it looks like a split is on the way! If you need rains over 0.25", then you may have to wait until sometime over a week from now."

We are in the 70s again today despite little sun.  It has been quite a stretch of weather this week.

I'm not sure how much rain we'll get.  Generally, models have the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor on the line between solid rain to the west and dry pocket to the east.  We could get an inch, we could get a couple tenths.

Did about 3 hours of raking this morning so the blooming plants don't struggle to pop out. Clouded over now and up to 1" of rain in the grids. We need it badly. Previous owner of the house put a type of sod in the backyard that doesn't require as much moisture, but it's barely started turning green. The soaker tonight and tomorrow should do wonders.

Currently 72 and will be feel a heatwave come next week. Snow flakes Monday/night. Perfect.

NE winds were whipping all day here. Stayed in the 50s all day, except it did pop up to 61° right after sunrise.

Looks like the 12km NAM is favoring you Cyclone for the heavier rains. And off to the east as well.

namconus_apcpn_ncus_20.png

NE winds were whipping all day here. Stayed in the 50s all day, except it did pop up to 61° right after sunrise.

Looks like the 12km NAM is favoring you Cyclone for the heavier rains. And off to the east as well.

namconus_apcpn_ncus_20.png

I'd be ok with this locally.

Two 75F+ days in a row. Perfect weather.

Huge bust on the soaker for today. Dry slot FTL. Was looking forward to an all day rain too. The drought lives on, and the winter chill is about to return. Good times.

Dude, you and Brewers should have stayed in IL and WI. You've had a crappy winter that looks to turn into a summer drought.

Archived