Toothache
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

The Euro brings the next chance for spring temperatures in around April 1st

going against cooler previous long range forecasts since it now takes the MJO

into a mild phase 3 for early April.

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

attachicon.gifAprilPhase3all500mb.gif

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

Euro has been showing ridging in the east in the long range, quite a bit since last summer and it hasn't worked out that way often.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

AprilPhase3all500mb.gif

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

If that's correct and we do in fact see an amplified MJO wave in phase 3 then it could become quite mild up and down the east coast

As the trough backs up the ridge on the EC will begin to fire in about 2 weeks.

Once backed up look for the mean storm track to be to the lakes kicking off the start of the severe weather season .

I would not expect April to be very mild as the SST profile is cold enough where back door cold fronts will shunt any long term heat.

However I think we could hit 80 before April is through.

Once backed up look for the mean storm track to be to the lakes kicking off the start of the severe weather season .

I would not expect April to be very mild as the SST profile is cold enough where back door cold fronts will shunt any long term heat.

Nice job this winter.

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

attachicon.gifAprilPhase3all500mb.gif

attachicon.gifecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.png

If we have an amplitude of > 1, phase 3 yields a cool signal in April. Additionally, phase 3 off the CPC website suggests a cool signal for the period centered on April (MAM).

AprilPhase3gt1500mb.gif

combined_image.png

It's going to be ugly for those folks deep into May, glad I don't live there. I could see several days where it's in the 60/70s in NJ and 40s near the coast and LI.

Yeah, it's going to be a nasty spring, possibly past Memorial Day for the coast. Backdoor season should be bad too once the highs get going over the Maritimes. Glad I'm not there anymore.

Yeah, it's going to be a nasty spring, possibly past Memorial Day for the coast. Backdoor season should be bad too once the highs get going over the Maritimes. Glad I'm not there anymore.

What are you saying here.. Long Island will be cold and nasty right in to June? Or just places on the south shore and the shore of NJ

Isn't the south shore on long Island? I'm confused

There is normally a huge difference in temperature in the springtime between the north and south shores of Long Island. I've personally experienced temps in the upper 50s here whilst near 80 in centereach. If there is a strong southerly wind, temps are much closer but still 5 to 10 degrees higher at the north shore. Especially early in the afternoon.

Guest Pamela

Yeah dude, im talking the south shore of Long Island and the Jersey coast. Regardless i live on the North Shore of Long Island and have completely different weather than the South Shore.

Spring will be like most springs on Long Island...some cool days, some warm ones...you sound as if you recently re-located here....and the weather between the N. & S. Shores is not "completely" different; it is a little different. 

Was just looking at some of the buoys. Water is 35-36. Still so cold. South shore spring will lag a month behind everywhere else this year.

Spring will be like most springs on Long Island...some cool days, some warm ones...you sound as if you recently re-located here....and the weather between the N. & S. Shores is not "completely" different; it is a little different. 

Been here for 40 years, i have had 15" of snow and the south shore has had 5", it had been 80 here and 60 there. What i mean to say is for where we live i think there can be a large diversity in the weather even on the same day, think Long Island needs way more detailed weather forecasts.

statistically we are over due for a cold April and cool May...it's possible it can happen this year...It certainly has gotten off to a cold start...

Yeah well nobody wants that. With the end of the snows and ice i hope the rest of the snow clowns go with it till next winter.

Guest Pamela

Been here for 40 years, i have had 15" of snow and the south shore has had 5", it had been 80 here and 60 there. What i mean to say is for where we live i think there can be a large diversity in the weather even on the same day, think Long Island needs way more detailed weather forecasts.

If you've lived here 40 years; you realize that the most brilliant forecaster who ever lived would be hard pressed to give you any semblance of a cogent answer as to whether or not it will be wet & cold into June - it is a question that cannot be answered.

Guest Pamela

If you've lived here 40 years; you realize that the most brilliant forecaster who ever lived would be hard pressed to give you any semblance of a cogent answer as to whether or not it will be wet & cold into June - it is a question that cannot be answered.

Its like in Groundhog Day...Bill Murray is coming out of his room at the bed & breakfast...and the guy he meets on the stairs says to him every morning, "Do you think it will be an early spring?" Apart from the impossibility of making some determinative forecast regarding the matter...we also need to address the overall subjectivity of the inquiry. What in fact constitutes an "early spring"...i.e. can it be empirically determined & defined?

Euro has been showing ridging in the east in the long range, quite a bit since last summer and it hasn't worked out that way often.

That's why it's probably better to go more conservative long range and expect a few spring days mixed in but

recognize that the trough will probably return in the means near the Northeast or just offshore for our famous

back door spring days. The trough has been a mainstay in the means since last October and the SST

patterns now reflect this with the record +PDO due to the record -EPO into +PNA ridging continuing.

Even as the PV pulls north for spring, a piece of the trough will probably remain near of just east of us.

The SST's are so cold that S to SW flow days where the city and west warms will be cool over Long Island.

I agree with a lot of this. If some past seasons that experienced substantial snowfall are representative, very warm temperatures occurred during the second half of April, often during the closing 10 days of the month. Three examples:

1956: April 28: 84°

1960: April 25: 87°

1996: April 23: 85°

I agree with a lot of this. If some past seasons that experienced substantial snowfall are representative, very warm temperatures occurred during the second half of April, often during the closing 10 days of the month. Three examples:

1956: April 28: 84°

1960: April 25: 87°

1996: April 23: 85°

Thanks Don ,I think we  may see our first T storms S and W Thursday as a pretty strong cold front passes through the area .

SPC thinks it is Marginal at best . day3otlk_0730.gif?1427214161653

Archived