• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

I didn't think you would and that you did a good job this month goes without saying..

I think you should clarify that 80 call as NYC west and LGA. For JFK east to hit 80 this April would take an epic epic sea east ridge mega downslope west wind torch from the depths of hell!

I think as the trough backs up week 2 thru 4 you will start to see the SE ridge pop ahead of LP when SLP heads to the lakes.

For LI you can forget 80. I am talking about places like EWR and KNYC touching 80 for the 1st time for a day when that SE ridge flexes it's muscle.

But no way anything extended .

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big easter snowstorm on the gfs

I have not posted once on any snow over this weekend as I never bought how the models bent precip back w SLP running SE of the area.

The GFS lost your IVT with just 36 hours to go . I would not be worrying about 216 hours solutions in April.

As excellent of a setup as you'll see in early April. This has been on the model for several runs already so I do believe we'll see some kind of storm around that time. Chances are it'll be rain but who knows.

Shades of April 6, 1982. 10-12 inches in NYC, 9.6 in CPK but we all know how that goes, and Yankees opening day was delayed four days to clear the snow. The HV and NNJ had 12-20 inches. It's happened before it can happen again.

Big easter snowstorm on the gfs

Snowstorm for you guys? I don't see it verbatim. The chance exists though if the pattern can get blocky and there can be a phase in the right spot.

Selfishly, I'm rooting for a boring pattern so we can lock into a warm regime down here. The 80s this week were awesome, hope that continues. Mid next week looks like we can make a run at 90 with 20c 850mb temps. The big NE storm scenario sends a wicked cold front down with strong north winds and highs that can't get above 65. 

Shades of April 6, 1982. 10-12 inches in NYC, 9.6 in CPK but we all know how that goes, and Yankees opening day was delayed four days to clear the snow. The HV and NNJ had 12-20 inches. It's happened before it can happen again.

Yes, but no likely here without blocking . ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_10.png

Long Island and New England typically do better with Norluns and that's what the RGEM is showing.

The hope over the next 24 hrs is that this doesn't shift much further NE.

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Yes this this a much more believable scenario, NYC has been on a nice trend this season with snowfall but not norluns, Central Long Island east into NE should be the winners here

Yes, but no likely here without blocking . ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_10.png

I doubt something on par with the magnitude of April 1982 will occur, but the possibility of a meaningful snow event does exist. I disagree that there's no blocking. Strong mid level ridging from the EPO domain across the Arctic will induce a -EPO/-AO couplet for the April 2nd-5th period, providing cross polar flow and sufficient cold air availability. The pattern is there; the question becomes, what are the more specific intricacies of the storm track. The MJO continues propagating through amplified P1-2 which supports the idea of troughiness / storminess potential in the East.

One of the patterns on the analogs for early April is 2003, which produced a significant snowfall with a +NAO.

Again, nothing may occur, but the pattern is favorable and blocky enough for it to occur in my opinion.

814analog.off.gif

wgx4ch.png

April 1982 had a moderately positive AO and a negative NAO. For the upcoming period we'll have the inverse; a negative AO and a positive NAO.

I doubt something on par with the magnitude of April 1982 will occur, but the possibility of a meaningful snow event does exist. I disagree that there's no blocking. Strong mid level ridging from the EPO domain across the Arctic will induce a -EPO/-AO couplet for the April 2nd-5th period, providing cross polar flow and sufficient cold air availability. The pattern is there; the question becomes, what are the more specific intricacies of the storm track. The MJO continues propagating through amplified P1-2 which supports the idea of troughiness / storminess potential in the East.

One of the patterns on the analogs for early April is 2003, which produced a significant snowfall with a +NAO.

Again, nothing may occur, but the pattern is favorable and blocky enough for it to occur in my opinion.

814analog.off.gif

wgx4ch.png

April 1982 had a moderately positive AO and a negative NAO. For the upcoming period we'll have the inverse; a negative AO and a positive NAO.

Tommy for me the position of that positive favors New England more than 40 N .

If it shows up further S in the means then sure. But for me it looks like a bit N for my liking.

Long Island and New England typically do better with Norluns and that's what the RGEM is showing.

The hope over the next 24 hrs is that this doesn't shift much further NE.

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Yeah this one has consistently been on the models. And focused somewhere on Long Island. Might be central, eastern, but probably somewhere on Long Island should get a bit of snow. Hopefully this holds

Yeah this one has consistently been on the models. And focused somewhere on Long Island. Might be central, eastern, but probably somewhere on Long Island should get a bit of snow. Hopefully this holds

Hopefully it doesn't and we all get snow but it looks like SNE will get it once again. I hate them so much. :cry:

Tommy for me the position of that positive favors New England more than 40 N .

If it shows up further S in the means then sure. But for me it looks like a bit N for my liking.

I think it will come down to good timing b/t short waves. If we can get the first wave 4/2 to suppress heights enough so that the following wave rides further south, there will be a chance for snow. Of course given the time of year, nothing may occur, and not every favorable pattern must produce. However, I would say that there's a "heightened probability" for one more snow event in that 3rd-6th period.

I think it will come down to good timing b/t short waves. If we can get the first wave 4/2 to suppress heights enough so that the following wave rides further south, there will be a chance for snow. Of course given the time of year, nothing may occur, and not every favorable pattern must produce. However, I would say that there's a "heightened probability" for one more snow event in that 3rd-6th period.

The problem is as the wave lengths are shorter that ridge may force this to the lakes and then you end up with a FROPA .  4- 2 

Then what is at that the base of that trough on the 6th gfs_z500a_namer_26.png

I Agree though we should  keep an eye out , but it is not something that jumps out at me , like all the other have from 7 plus days away . 

It could actually turn into a very stormy period in early April as the EPO goes more neutral or weakly positive 

and the PNA negative with a fire hose Pacific jet crossing the US. All the best blocking shifting back toward

Siberia can easily put us on the wrong side of the SE Ridge gradient letting systems cut too the Lakes

or ride the Apps. I guess you would want to see a strong enough storm to suppress the SE ridge long

enough for a second wave to overrun the cold air and allow some late season April snow with perfect

timing.

I Agree though we should keep an eye out , but it is not something that jumps out at me , like all the other have from 7 plus days away .

Good job this winter, you turned out right, nailed it, I busted, so did a bunch of others. Real complicated pattern we had this winter. I think after this weekend, it's over, it seems like you do too, so we finally agree lol

It could actually turn into a very stormy period in early April as the EPO goes more neutral or weakly positive 

and the PNA negative with a fire hose Pacific jet crossing the US. All the best blocking shifting back toward

Siberia can easily put us on the wrong side of the SE Ridge gradient letting systems cut too the Lakes

or ride the Apps. I guess you would want to see a strong enough storm to suppress the SE ridge long

enough for a second wave to overrun the cold air and allow some late season April snow with perfect

timing.

Right. Tom s point about stretching the baroclinic zone far enough south is what we would need but there is resistance there at 18k feet and the ridge looks right to me.

It's so late I would only bite if I saw a 2 or 3 SD block and I don't.

Good job this winter, you turned out right, nailed it, I busted, so did a bunch of others. Real complicated pattern we had this winter. I think after this weekend, it's over, it seems like you do too, so we finally agree lol

Thank you. I just don't see it. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

I Just don't like the set up.

Archived