joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

i hope your right but I just don't see it. I would think the way it feels out right now that today is in fact the first day of spring!(the way it feels at least)

Enjoy ur day love

Amazingly beautiful Norlun for Long Island on Saturday on the 12z Global...

Chance of snow for Saturday is increasing for the immediate coast (including NYC).

The setup screams for an inverted trough type of band. As always, the location of the trough will not be known until the actual event.

The UKMET likes the idea also and it will come down to where the instability trough sets up.

The most likely scenario is convective instability snow showers saturday rather than an organized norlun. How many times now have we been burned by hoping for a norlun trough to setup over the metro area?

Doesn't matter if we were burned 50 times in a row.

Every setup is different.

Time to start a model thread for the 4/5 storm.  I kid, I kid.  Yes, I know this is banter, but with winter basically over, it's about to become the usual ghost town around here.  Amazing how all the snow nuts congregate here for the winter...

It's time for the crickets until our first severe threat that inevitably fizzles before the coast ohhh and that's going to happen allot this spring

This Euro freebie courtesy of Mike Ventrice at WSI shows a stormy pattern here in early April.

ECMWF ensembles have a PV to our north as the Pacific Jet gets free reign underneath.

Any lows that track south of us will introduce the potential for some measurable early

April snow as temperatures will average below normal.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/581041332946366465

Still believe the April 3rd-6th / Easter period holds potential for one more snow event of the season. The hemispheric and global indicators are fairly convincing for the heightened probability of a late season snowfall. We'll see some mood flakes on Saturday, but I continue to think the inverted trough and any system prior to April 2nd will be a long shot, as the pattern is reshuffling.

The ECMWF ensemble mean from overnight now takes the AO slightly negative for the first week of April due to the extension of the -EPO mid level ridge across the north pole and into Eurasia. This should induce strong cross polar flow into Canada and the northern US by later next week, of course, relative to the time of year. However, the high latitude blocking depicted is one of the more impressive looks we've seen all cold season really. The late season nature may aid us here, as the seasonal poleward retreat of the jet should promote a further north baroclinic zone compared to what it would have been in this regime 1-2 months ago. The initial short wave around April 1st could suppress the heights enough such that the next wave develops in the Central Plains and propagates ewd toward the Mid-Atlantic coast. Surprisingly, model data has been fairly persistent on the idea of a storm system being legitimate in that April 3rd-5th time period.

The MJO continues to propagate through amplified phase 1, and will maintain itself through phases 2-3, which are historical cold phases at this time of year. Light at the end of the tunnel in terms of warmer weather (not sure we flip to sustained warmth yet), could be April 10th-15th.

2uygbad.png

The daily OLR depiction is beautiful w/ robust upward motion near the dateline and progressing eastward.

2z659o8.gif

Archived