• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

I'll believe the clipper idea when a model other than the gfs or cmc show it. They have been flip flopping like fishes out of water recently with wild swings from model run to model run

Even if it occurs at night, my concern with the clipper is the lack of robust vv's associated w/ it. Snow could have a difficult time sticking even at night if it's 34F / -SN. There's a chance this system trends more interesting, but I'm more focused on the 4/4-4/5 potential which could involve a stronger short wave.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if it occurs at night, my concern with the clipper is the lack of robust vv's associated w/ it. Snow could have a difficult time sticking even at night if it's 34F / -SN. There's a chance this system trends more interesting, but I'm more focused on the 4/4-4/5 potential which could involve a stronger short wave.

2 days ago Tom I didn't like the look of the weekend system ,

But if the block can work it's way S in the means then I would favor the GFS over the Euro .

I expect the Euro to get away from the cuter idea over the next few days with those heights in the PAC you are still pressing HP through the lakes.

It's possible for the SE ridge to relax enough to see this come S .

The neg EPO connected through the Caspian argues for that trough to dig In the east.

Once to April 10 ish that trough should pull back and then the SE ridge should show up , but not until then.

The 12z Euro is too weak on the lead wave and it doesn't suppress SE Ridge 

enough so the second low rides too far north. We need a GFS version where

the first low is stronger so the second low could track further south with the

Arctic high pressing down form the north.

Right, plus it has less than robust QPF to say the least

Should have just said "Keeps it cold, with chances of accumulating snow" but I get what you meant the first time.

lol I said exactly what the model shows, it wasn't a forcast, it was an observation. As of now 12z euro had no accumulating snow, I think one could argue every model run during winter where cold is present has a "chance", I mean .000006% is a chance lol

I was much less vague

2 days ago Tom I didn't like the look of the weekend system ,

But if the block can work it's way S in the means then I would favor the GFS over the Euro .

I expect the Euro to get away from the cuter idea over the next few days with those heights in the PAC you are still pressing HP through the lakes.

It's possible for the SE ridge to relax enough to see this come S .

The neg EPO connected through the Caspian argues for that trough to dig In the east.

Once to April 10 ish that trough should pull back and then the SE ridge should show up , but not until then.

Euro 500mb isn't a bad look at all. PNA mid level ridge axis up through the classic Boise ID position, -EPO/-AO w/ high heights across the pole, and a transient east based -NAO. Shift the PV a bit further south and it goes from a good to great look. Also - I agree on the probable pattern transition in the April 10th-15th period. Looks like we may finally lose the -EPO, at least for a period.

346qlj4.png

Euro 500mb isn't a bad look at all. PNA mid level ridge axis up through the classic Boise ID position, -EPO/-AO w/ high heights across the pole, and a transient east based -NAO. Shift the PV a bit further south and it goes from a good to great look. Also - I agree on the probable pattern transition in the April 10th-15th period. Looks like we may finally lose the -EPO, at least for a period.

346qlj4.png

As long as the PDO is as + as it is, I doubt the -EPO is going anywhere for long

Euro is a terrible model in the north east with winter storms. Trashy model with east coast storms that fails.

Worst 2 years ever for the model.

Best

Thats funny because the Euro is the highest ranked model 

post-342-0-73314200-1427603917_thumb.png

And its getting upgraded 

http://thevane.gawker.com/europeans-upgrading-already-superior-weather-model-just-1693915663

This was he 3rd March in a row with below normal temperatures for NYC.

2015...-4.1...so far

2014...-4.8.. Apr....-0.7....May...+1.6.... first 70....4/11....first 80...5/10.first 90....7/2

2013...-.2.4..Apr....-0.0....May...+0.4.....First 70...4/8......first 80...4/9...first 90...5/30

Spring lovers must be pulling there hair out over this weather…lol

Looks like a very late bloom and green up this spring...

To have a third consecutive cold start to spring after the two warmest springs on record in 2010 and 2012 is quite a reversal.

This was he 3rd March in a row with below normal temperatures for NYC.

2015...-4.1...so far

2014...-4.8.. Apr....-0.7....May...+1.6.... first 70....4/11....first 80...5/10.first 90....7/2

2013...-.2.4..Apr....-0.0....May...+0.4.....First 70...4/8......first 80...4/9...first 90...5/30

This will probably finish as the 2nd coldest March at my station going back to 1977, with only 1984 colder.

Archived