• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

Anything on the Tuesday storm?

Tues does not amplify. The day 9 threat is still there. A few ensemble members swing a cold front through and then eject a SW NE .

The well below normal temps will continue through April 1 .

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty interesting, the 12z GFS run @ 144-156 almost looks like a carbon copy of the "ana-front" storm from March 5...Starts off with lakes cutter, elongated front, energy hanging back, PNA ridge...lol...A LOT less cold air to work with, but it might end up forming a coastal based on the 500mb look @ 162 hours

With maybe just a day or two of warmer weather next week, may be challenging for coldest March at my station since 1977...We'll see.

It looks like the only shot at cracking 60 in NYC for March will come in around Thursday before the temperature drops

below normal again.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   3/20/2015  1200 UTC                        FHR  24  36| 48  60| 72  84| 96 108|120 132|144 156|168 180|192            SAT 21| SUN 22| MON 23| TUE 24| WED 25| THU 26| FRI 27|SAT CLIMO N/X  31  52| 31  37| 25  36| 25  41| 32  49| 41  59| 44  54| 39 36 53

Snow in April or November/Oct is more exciting than Snow in Jan in my opinion, because its really rare.  

If its going to be an advisory or warning level amount. Not just some run of the mill rain storm that ends as snow showers with a trace.

I was stoked for that April 7th 2003 storm with a winter storm warning for 6-10" only to have it fizzle out to 1" of snow/graupel mix.

lol @ the Euro control 28-29" over CT and NYC. Yes, I counted each shade. :weenie:

Was jammed with today's stuff , just saw the Control. OMG

Look for a arctic front to swing through and LP to develop on the SW side of it and try and run to the BM .

That is how we may end this .

"Never". Bad post. you cant assume that. Sure it might not verify, but you also cant assume in fantasy range that it will never.

What do you honestly think the chances are of the NYC area seeing a full fledged epic spring blizzard with over 2 feet of snow with NO, repeat NO -NAO or -AO in the final few days of March are? Honestly? What do you think the chances of that even coming close to verifying are?

What do you honestly think the chances are of the NYC area seeing a full fledged epic spring blizzard with over 2 feet of snow with NO, repeat NO -NAO or -AO in the final few days of March are? Honestly? What do you think the chances of that even coming close to verifying are?

No one claimed it was likely. This is a weather discussion forum. We arent going to only discuss the models that show the most likely outcomes. Once we are closer to events, we can start worrying about ridiculous runs. If you dont like whats being discussed, try another thread.

I never said it would happen, I'm just saying you cannot assume that the run will never verify. Can the run be totally wrong? Yes. Is there a low chance of this verifying? Yes. 

Every day 10 ensemble show a robust POS PNA with a full latitude trough in the east.

No one should be calling for anything specific 8 days away. The pattern may be setting up for one last winter storm before we pull back but we have to get a little closer before one can make that call , but the possibility exists .

Again the date on the calender is irrelevant. A solution like the control would be hard to pull off in mid Jan under the best conditions , we do live on the coastal plain and KU s of that magnitude are difficult in the best of mid winter patterns .

However 2 things that one should take away here . 1 the calender at the edge of winter can still offer big time solutions ie April 82 . When you see 500 mb maps look like that an EC storm is possible .

2 never and I mean never say never .

Minimal sure. Slight Sure. Difficult sure. Impossible , no chance ? You will never find a professional MET to ever agree with that opinion.

All that said ,

Caution , this was not our last accumulating snow.

I don't want another big snowstorm. I didn't want today's storm. If I had to bet, I'd bet against a big snowstorm just based on percentages. That being said you would have to be a moron to argue in absolutes that there won't be another snowstorm or that a big storm scenario won't happen - especially when you've been consistently wrong arguing against snow for 2 months running now.

Every day 10 ensemble show a robust POS PNA with a full latitude trough in the east.

No one should be calling for anything specific 8 days away. The pattern may be setting up for one last winter storm before we pull back but we have to get a little closer before one can make that call , but the possibility exists .

Again the date on the calender is irrelevant. A solution like the control would be hard to pull off in mid Jan under the best conditions , we do live on the coastal plain and KU s of that magnitude are difficult in the best of mid winter patterns .

However 2 things that one should take away here . 1 the calender at the edge of winter can still offer big time solutions ie April 82 . When you see 500 mb maps look like that an EC storm is possible .

2 never and I mean never say never .

Minimal sure. Slight Sure. Difficult sure. Impossible , no chance ? You will never find a professional MET to ever agree with that opinion.

All that said ,

Caution , this was not our last accumulating snow.

Anything is "possible". But a 2 foot + spring blizzard in nyc in the closing days of March with no -NAO or -AO and even if you had that? Lol let's just say I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on it to say the least

Obviously the control run is ridiculous but one thing about weather is, and PB GFI already hit on this, is you NEVER say NEVER.

What are the chances of a full fledged blizzard in late October that would produce 1-1.5 feet in CT a few inches in NYC? Before 2011 you might say pffft that'll never happen, its never happened before. But you'd be wrong.

The E-control run shows a long range snowstorm, that is all. We are just discussing what models show. Next run it will probably be nothing. But the pattern is looking good on the euro for something to manifest. The Canadian and GFS both showed something popping up in the long range. It's something to watch at this point.

Archived