Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are correct ....

maybe we will end up with nothing

when all is said and done!!!! :ph34r:

http://climate.cod.edu/data/forecast/NAM/06/US/namUS_prec_prec_084.gif

Bro. I'm not calling for anything, but I'm reading your posts and you are strictly using the worst models we have for your arguments and forecast.

GFS is the clear outlier right now.

Bro. I'm not calling for anything, but I'm reading your posts and you are strictly using the worst models we have for your arguments and forecast.

Would you mind explaining why the GFS is now the worst model we have?

Very different from your thinking for most other storms this season

Would you mind explaining why the GFS is now the worst model we have?

Very different from your thinking for most other storms this season

Recent model verification scores have the models in this order:

-ECMWF

-UKMET

-GGEM

-GFS

I am not saying that we will see a snow storm this weekend. All I am saying is that the mean of the models and the ensembles support .25"+ of precip.

Strictly???

WOW what a bad post

ESRL WPC NAM guidance all posted this morning

but if the GFS 06z had snow???

then it would be good????

JUST PLAIN GULLIBLE   :fulltilt: 

Posting a WPC forecast map isn't going to earn you any credibility here. Those forecasts change like the wind. 

The Euro and GGEM both support a significant event and the GFS is a close miss. So why are we going with the GFS? Because it's supported by the GEFS ensemble mean? 

When the GFS is by itself, regardless of ensemble support, it's likely wrong.

It's not like the GFS is that far off, just a few ticks NW and it's game on.

Posting a WPC forecast map isn't going to earn you any credibility here. Those forecasts change like the wind. 

The Euro and GGEM both support a significant event and the GFS is a close miss. So why are we going with the GFS? Because it's supported by the GEFS ensemble mean? 

When the GFS is by itself, regardless of ensemble support, it's likely wrong.

It's not like the GFS is that far off, just a few ticks NW and it's game on.

how that navgem idea working out son

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_17.png

You skipped the rest of the global suite, which scores higher then any of the models listed above.

GGEM? ECMWF? UKMET?

For once I agree with you lol, as I posted above, jma, GGEM, and euro look very similar, UKEMT keeps precip a bit further south but not far from others and GFS and NAVGEM are misses, if I had to make an early call based of seasonal trends, and mod guidance I'd say 2-5" snowfall looks likely

For once I agree with you lol, as I posted above, jma, GGEM, and euro look very similar, UKEMT keeps precip a bit further south but not far from others and GFS and NAVGEM are misses, if I had to make an early call based of seasonal trends, and mod guidance I'd say 2-5" snowfall looks likely

I would say 1"-3" of slop for NYC and the north shore of LI.

3"-5" north and west.

Not much south shore of LI/NYC and south.

how that navgem idea working out son

Right on target.

The NAVGEM has a southeast/progressive bias in the medium range with southern stream systems. 

If it's a close miss, like the NAVGEM continues to show run after run, then the logical outcome would be that the system eventually shifts northwest.

3rd grade meteorology

FWIW, the Arctic Oscillation (AO) has now gone negative. Today's figure was -1.110. The AO has now fallen 6.770 sigma from its March 8 peak. The forecast evolution of the 500 mb patterns between 96 hours and 120 hours are very similar on both the GFS and ECMWF ensembles. Today's and tomorrow's operational guidance should begin to build confidence in the details of the possible storm for Friday into Saturday.

Archived