• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

a lot if areas ground has thawed but a lot of places out my way are still frozen or only thawed a few inches down so far. Ground been re freezing rather solidly lately to,which has surprised me. Bays are very cold a bunch still with ice but will see how this pans out!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so glad you jumped in .

My March calls vs yours , if you like I will pull every post and embarrass you .

You argued that we would see 60`s and 70`s at KNYC Highest temp at KNYC 59 . Thanks for playing .

I argued March would be below normal , you argued against it . CHECK

I argued 1 week of above normal and then a return to colder than normal CHECK

I argued for the -EPO to return , you argued against it CHECK .

Many of us here said it would snow again , ALMOST THERE KID . WILL CHECK YOU FRI PM

I said 10 days of - 10 - we will see what that looks like once to March 31 . ( Your last hope ) .

I mean with your track record how in gods name are you even showing your face in here , you have been obliterated in every call .

You called for at least 10 days of -10 or greater departures and a return to winter. We've been in the 40s and 50s for the past 10 days, and that doesn't look like it's going to change save for a couple of days. Did you mean typical winter in Charlotte?

You called for blocking to get established, that looks fleeting at best.

It looks like it's not going to be outright warm, but the call for a "return to winter" and an extended period of record breaking cold looks like an even more ridiculous call.

We did get pretty CLOSE to 60, and we still have another 15 days... It's in the 80s in Central VA today, so it's not far away.

You called for at least 10 days of -10 or greater departures and a return to winter. We've been in the 40s and 50s for the past 10 days, and that doesn't look like it's going to change save for a couple of days. Did you mean typical winter in Charlotte?

It looks like it's not going to be outright warm, but the call for a "return to winter" and an extended period of record breaking cold looks like an even more ridiculous call.

We did get pretty CLOSE to 60, and we still have another 15 days... It's in the 80s in Central VA today, so it's not far away.

my advice to you is, admit you were wrong and tell everybody that Paul is the best forecaster on here and get it over with. We are most likely going to have a historic snowy March. 10 degrees below normal for ten days is still in the air but you can't argue with Paul the guy has been on fire this winter. Yanksfan called for rain and flooding, neither happened so this years best forecaster goes to Paul, worst goes to yanksfan. Have a safe flight Friday night yanks while I doubt your flight will be canceled it'll be snowing out here so I'm sure you won't mind it. Oh and weenie of the year goes to anthony!

Gimme a break guys, though I respect PB and learn a lot from him, verification of your predictions should be in banter. This is a potentially exciting time with most models showing a wintery scenario for Friday as possible, talk should instead be about the models like the thread says!

Your mighty warm up at KNYC

No 60`s or 70`s there .

8  49  37  43      3  22  

9  54  40  47       18  

10  53  39  46     19  

11  59  44  52     11  13  

12  47  36  42     1  23  

13  43  31  37    -4  28  

14  51  40  46     4  19  

15  44  36  40    -2  25

You have been WRONG  about every single forecast made inside a warm troll post .

My call was never about  " BLOCKING "  being established long term . just long enough to bring snow and 10 days of cold .

Which is exactly what the 500 mb maps are showing you .

You did not believe any of it .

My arguments were -

The return of the - EPO

Return to cold

Winter was not over

That you did not see your last snow  

March would be colder than normal

BTW all of the above Don S ,  Bluewave and Isotherm agreed . So I was not alone ,

but you were the loudest and in the end wrong and that is a bad combination .

- 10 DAYS OF -10  was mine , I own that , if that falls short - I will OWN it . So much other %^&* right ,I will see how close I get .

But you were not even in the same state .

Admit you were wrong and I will renew my Reuters contract .

There's a decent chance NYC and many of us don't hit 60 the entire month, which has only happened a couple other times in the past 120+ years I believe. I've seen 80s in VA and cool temps here almost every early spring. Warm-fronts love to get stuck in the mid-atlantic at this time of year.

Even more remarkable is the percentage of snowfall that has occurred on days when the AO was positive.

For 2004-05:

AO-: 35.7" (87.1%)

AO+: 5.3" (12.9%)

For 2014-15:

AO-: 3.6" (8.5%)

AO+: 38.9" (91.5%)

While we don't have the AO dailies for 33-34, that was probably the last time that we saw such impressive 

snowfall during a +AO winter.

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/ao/

Someone is being abrasive and its not pazzo...its PB like...I dont think anyone likes a know it all

FYP .

Worse than a know it all is bad analysis then crying about etiquette .

Pazzo is a big boy , he led with his chin . He will be fine .

I think snow on Friday isn't anywhere near a slam dunk, the boundary layer is very suspect, and it is nowhere near a good cad setup, not even in the ballpark. Plus what falls during the day (late March sun) will need heavy rates and strong lifting to support dynamic cooling if you hope to get good accumulations and keep it all snow. Ratios will also be very, very poor. We should use any "snowstorm" talk real cautiously right now imo

There's a decent chance NYC and many of us don't hit 60 the entire month, which has only happened a couple other times in the past 120+ years I believe. I've seen 80s in VA and cool temps here almost every early spring. Warm-fronts love to get stuck in the mid-atlantic at this time of year.

Yeah I don't get that post, that happens every March and April. It's 70-80 in the Midwest but that is not coming here either.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1032 AM EDT MON MAR 16 2015

VALID 12Z THU MAR 19 2015 - 12Z MON MAR 23 2015

THE SWARM OF SHORTWAVES ADVERTISED TO CROSS THE EASTERN PACIFIC

AND CENTRAL NORTH AMERICA AT THE MEDIUM RANGE IS LEADING THE

MODELS A MERRY CHASE. HIGH SPREAD IS EVEN EVIDENT WHEN COMPARING

ENSEMBLE MEANS, SO BLENDED THE MORE ROBUSTLY POPULATED ECENS AND

NAEFS AS A SYNOPTIC GUIDE THIS FORECAST PACKAGE. THE SENSIBLE

WEATHER HIGHLIGHT EARLY IN THE PERIOD IS THE THREAT OF A FEW

INCHES OF LATE-SEASON SNOWFALL THURSDAY NIGHT, FRIDAY, AND FRIDAY

NIGHT FROM THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS THROUGH THE INTERIOR

NORTHEAST. IN GENERAL, PRECIPITATION IN THE EAST WILL SHIFT

SOUTHWARD WITH TIME, WITH A COMMENSURATE NORTHWARD SHIFT OVER THE

ROCKIES AND CENTRAL STATES. IN THE WEST, THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND

NORTHERN INTERMOUNTAIN REGION SHOULD STAY UNSETTLED INTO EARLY

NEXT WEEK

CISCO

I think snow on Friday isn't anywhere near a slam dunk, the boundary layer is very suspect, and it is nowhere near a good cad setup, not even in the ballpark. Plus what falls during the day (late March sun) will need heavy rates and strong lifting to support dynamic cooling if you hope to get good accumulations and keep it all snow. Ratios will also be very, very poor. We should use any "snowstorm" talk real cautiously right now imo

Eventually ur negativtiy will nail a snowstorm threat...you go girl

Of course it's not a slam dunk nobody said it was but some people act like its May, and it can't snow this time of year. All we can say is the potential is there for a late season snowfall.

If we get several inches, then we'll be challenging March snowfall records.

That's what's happening today, maybe we can get close tomorrow. Next and final chance prob at the very end of the month.

Every storm in late March has an iffy boundary layer temp.

Nothing new.

I don't think anyone claimed it can't snow. It's the return to winter talk in late March that is patently absurd.

By the way, like PB said, this is all fun to me (the back and forth). No need to get worked up over an argument on here, I know neither of us do.

Bro. The warmth is transient. We are still in a -EPO dominated pattern.

P.S. I want 70s and 80s, so I am not being a cold weather weenie. I just don't see any sustained warmth for a while.

I don't think anyone claimed it can't snow. It's the return to winter talk in late March that is patently absurd.

By the way, like PB said, this is all fun to me (the back and forth). No need to get worked up over an argument on here, I know neither of us do.

Agree, Chris is my boy .

Dude , I do come at you hard and you at me . I am very kool with that .

Bro. The warmth is transient. We are still in a -EPO dominated pattern.

P.S. I want 70s and 80s, so I am not being a cold weather weenie. I just don't see any sustained warmth for a while.

Lmao the warmth is transient? It's going to be April in less than 3 weeks... At this point the COLD is transient.

Lmao the warmth is transient? It's going to be April in less than 3 weeks... At this point the COLD is transient.

When I say warmth, I mean above normal temps.

With a dominant -epo pattern, temps will be strongly on the negative side.

Similar to last spring and summer.

History was made by the MJO to go with all the other extremes of recent years.

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/577494428912197632

https://twitter.com/WSI_Energy/status/577495779243347968

The Real-Time Multivariate MJO index has broke its all-time record for the highest amplitude in history; +4.10 sigma!

Archived