• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

That AO drop will remain record breaking. It's not often we see a drop from over +5, which is record breaking in itself to nearly -2 over just a short period of time.

That part is true.   It just doesnt stay negative though, quickly bouncing back.  Unless the -EPO is decent in the coming 10 days, we'll likely see a warmer pattern develop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That part is true. It just doesnt stay negative though, quickly bouncing back. Unless the -EPO is decent in the coming 10 days, we'll likely see a warmer pattern develop

I don't see a warmer pattern at for at least a few weeks relative to the time period. There will be warmer days but overall it should be cooler. The pattern coming up is basically our winter pattern but in spring.

Clearly people are afraid to get excited, understandble, but there is some model support for accumilating snow starting Friday night. The last GFS run , in fact, brings in SECS. Lets see where we are in terms of continuity and concensus 48 hrs from now then Ill ramp up my nterest level myself.

As noted earlier, the forecast 500 mb pattern is a pretty good one. If there's a storm remains the big question. If there is, I suspect that NYC has a realistic shot of 3" snow and possibly more given the 500 mb pattern (not too dissimilar from March 18, 1956). Since 2000, there have been 7 storms that brought 1" or more snow to NYC after 3/15, 4 that have brought 3" or more, and 3 that brought 4" or more. Those storms are:

April 9, 2000: 1.2"

April 7, 2003: 4.0"

March 16-17, 2004: 4.0"

March 23, 2005: 1.0"

March 16, 2007: 5.5"

March 24, 2011: 1.0"

March 18, 2013: 3.0"

To date, March 2015 has received 14.1" snow. That's the most snow in March since 1967 when 17.4" fell. The only higher snowfalls for March since 1950 occurred in 1956 (21.1") and 1960 (18.5").

How is the GFS not heavy rates?

GFS is a minimum of 5"-8", IMO.

Sorry, I forget sometimes that this forum covers areas pretty far away from me. I'm on the line between the Philly and NYC metros, and so my comment was more for interior northern and central NJ. NYC east is a different story with precip intensity.

Looks more realistic to me, with the high sliding east instead of NE, and low pressure sliding north of the Great Lakes. Pattern is great but the synoptic setup has problems.

The High can end up anywhere. GGEM is just 1 run out of dozens and dozens to go.

More then one model has shown a snowstorm for this weekend. To me, that's a good signal for a period where accumulating snow is possible. Especially north of EWR.

One GFS run isn't going to convince me of anything. Either way I'm rooting heavily against this one. 6:30PM flight out Friday night from JFK.

So because you are leaving, you are rooting for it to miss the area?

Gotcha.

I hope JFK and LGA receive 15"+.

Looks more realistic to me, with the high sliding east instead of NE, and low pressure sliding north of the Great Lakes. Pattern is great but the synoptic setup has problems.

I've seen this argument numerous times and it may be valid. The thing that bothers me though is the models all use equations that take all of the parameters into consideration and spit out the results. I don't know how a person can just look at the setup and say the model is likely wrong.

So because you are leaving, you are rooting for it to miss the area?

Unbelievably selfish.

Because me rooting against it will somehow cause the storm to miss...

Now that's unbelievable 

I could care less if the storm comes in late Friday night or Saturday and I'm not here for it.

I just don't want to have to deal with flight cancellations ect. 

I've seen this argument numerous times and it may be valid. The thing that bothers me though is the models all use equations that take all of the parameters into consideration and spit out the results. I don't know how a person can just look at the setup and say the model is likely wrong.

Based on the jet pattern and orientation of the baroclinic zone, I think easterly movement of the SHP is more logical.

Archived