Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I notice is that the PNA peaks before the AO bottoms, and the NAO bottoms after that. I think that's why we aren't seeing the cross-polar stronger intrusion of cold, it looks like the indices that represent the pattern drivers aren't in sync for deep cold. I'd expect things to trend towards slightly below to below. rather than strong below average.

They'll be solidly below normal days. Averages by then are in the low 50s so highs in the low 40s along with lows possibly in the 20s would register -10 departures.

One thing I notice is that the PNA peaks before the AO bottoms, and the NAO bottoms after that. I think that's why we aren't seeing the cross-polar stronger intrusion of cold, it looks like the indices that represent the pattern drivers aren't in sync for deep cold. I'd expect things to trend towards slightly below to below. rather than strong below average.

The reason why we lose the cross-polar flow is the EPO, namely, the transient breakdown of the Alaskan mid level ridge which has funneled cold air into our area for 2 consecutive winters now. The EPO will be positive over the next week, and thus, the pattern initially (next week), will not be brutally cold relative to normal even w/ a -NAO. However, if you note the ensemble progression beyond the next week, the negative EPO feature returns by the 22nd-23rd and hence the cross polar flow. This is why the coldest air relative to normal may occur in the final week of March (23rd-31st). Of course we don't see highs akin to February, but it should be cold for late March standards. The negative EPO is progged consistently on model data through week 3, and the physical forcing mechanisms globally support its maintenance through early April at least.

The models are converging on a day 8 storm getting forced underneath the block to

our south. The million dollar question is whether the block and 50/50 will be strong enough

to keep the R/S line far enough south to make things interesting? We would need that

Canadian high to press far enough south so the colder air would stay in place for

the storms arrival. The current batch of OP models are favoring the interior Northeast

for snow which would be closer to late March climo. But will see if the high can

make that press and force the battlezone closer to our area in later runs.

This corresponds well with the MJO going into 8-1. While this does not 100 percent mean that it will snow, this will increase the chance of it with a developing -NAO/-AO and +PNA.

The Euro is showing the storm and the high is just pressing a little too much this run much so it scoots just to our south. We need just enough high in later runs to keep it cold, but not suppress the low

too far south. Plenty of time to track and make adjustments.

Either the confluence has to lessen or the vort strengthen- too much confluence and not a strong enough trough as depicted.

Being late March, we need the strong confluence to hold the cold in.

I think we need a much stronger vort and storm to have any chance. By strong, I mean a full blown <985mb noreaster near the BM.

Archived