Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern looked good for this weekend if you go back six days ago.

I'm sure that things will change for the end of the month by the middle of next week. Just based off of statistical probability and climo alone, the chances of any pro-longed period of Winter weather is rapidly coming to an end. The same borderline setup in January doesn't work in late March.

The closed ULL for Sunday passes over Central Maine on the 12z ECWMF. Nobody out of extreme Northern New England sees measurable snow.

Ontop of that, the rain for Saturday has been reduced to around an inch on most of the modeling. 

What once promised to be a pro-longed period of Wintry precipitation followed by heavy rain has now morphed into a few hours of light to occasionally moderate rain. 

Take the under this year on QPF and weak sauce systems and you will have guessed right over 90% of the time.

The pattern looked good for this weekend if you go back six days ago.

I'm sure that things will change for the end of the month by the middle of next week. Just based off of statistical probability and climo alone, the chances of any pro-longed period of Winter weather is rapidly coming to an end. The same borderline setup in January doesn't work in late March.

The closed ULL for Sunday passes over Central Maine on the 12z ECWMF. Nobody out of extreme Northern New England sees measurable snow.

Ontop of that, the rain for Saturday has been reduced to around an inch on most of the modeling.

What once promised to be a pro-longed period of Wintry precipitation followed by heavy rain has now morphed into a few hours of light to occasionally moderate rain.

Take the under this year on QPF and weak sauce systems and you will have guessed right over 90% of the time.

A red tagger said it best here yesterday, what sometimes looks super impressive at the mid and upper levels doesn't always transfer down to the surface, especially in late March

A red tagger said it best here yesterday, what sometimes looks super impressive at the mid and upper levels doesn't always transfer down to the surface, especially in late March

Dude do not misquote PT. He said what we have said , what you see at 500 doesn't always transfer to the surface.

Nothing to do with " late March " . That was not his quote. It's urs .

Great 500 s sometimes miss in JAN.

You guys have no idea what the pattern is setting up. You were all so sure it wasn't going to get cold again. Now 7 days later you all see it and now it's on to the next denial of what the pattern is setting up.

It's going to get cold right ? Been honking that for 7 days.

Good I am glad you all see it now. Took long enough.

These are the patterns that support big events. If it does not happen it has nothing to do with March and I am sure PT would agree.

You guys need to post in the banter.

Dude do not misquote PT. He said what we have said , what you see at 500 doesn't always transfer to the surface.

Nothing to do with " late March " . That was not his quote. It's urs .

Great 500 s sometimes miss in JAN.

You guys have no idea what the pattern is setting up. You were all so sure it wasn't going to get cold again. Now 7 days later you all see it and now it's on to the next denial of what the pattern is setting up.

It's going to get cold right ? Been honking that for 7 days.

Good I am glad you all see it now. Took long enough.

These are the patterns that support big events. If it does not happen it has nothing to do with March and I am sure PT would agree.

You guys need to post in the banter.

Late March does play a role imo, especially if it's a borderline setup. A borderline setup will work in dec, jan, feb. A borderline setup at the end of March? Not so much

Late March does play a role imo, especially if it's a borderline setup. A borderline setup will work in dec, jan, feb. A borderline setup at the end of March? Not so much

THERE IS NOTHING BORDERLINE ABOUT WHAT THAT 500 MB LOOKS LIKE . gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_2.png

We know it's going to get a lot colder and be well below normal relative to normal for the last 1/3 of March. The question remains if they'll be anything in play during that time. The pattern will certainly make things interesting though in what is usually a very dull time frame. 

Now that is fair .  GREAT 500s don`t always mean a KU . But if it does not happen it will not be because it is March , it will just mean we missed a handoff or something got suppressed etc  .

Either way when you see a 500 mb pattern lock in for 10 days like that , you should be rubbing your hands together , because if you are ever going to see a big one , that`s the set up we need .

However nothing is guaranteed .

We are within 100 or so miles of that progged 0C surface line, in the latter half of March, at 240 hrs out, with the 500mb map looking borderline. The setup is borderline, at BEST. Some of you are pretending we live in southern Quebec or something. By March 20th, you need a -10 or greater departure just to average freezing (combined high/low). Your average high is in the low 50s by that point. Do the math.

We are within 100 or so miles of that progged 0C surface line, in the latter half of March, at 240 hrs out, with the 500mb map looking borderline. The setup is borderline, at BEST. Some of you are pretending we live in southern Quebec or something. By March 20th, you need a -10 or greater departure just to average freezing (combined high/low). Your average high is in the low 50s by that point. Do the math.

You need a very anomalous setup to have a chance at accumulating frozen and based on the data right now we're not quite at that threshold but it's close. It's a lot better for New England including SNE as they also have a colder climo than we do.  

If anything else it will really annoy the public who were probably expecting nice mild temperatures in the 50s and 60s end of March/early April.

You need a very anomalous setup to have a chance at accumulating frozen and based on the data right now we're not quite at that threshold but it's close. It's a lot better for New England including SNE as they also have a colder climo than we do.

If anything else it will really annoy the public who were probably expecting nice mild temperatures in the 50s and 60s end of March/early April.

I think most people are still conditioned to treat mid 40s as warm based on last month, so we will manage.

The 0 line at 850 is down near the SC border . ( Which is roughly 600 miles from KNYC ) but what`s 500 miles when opining something dumb .

What makes the set up GREAT is when you see - 10 air at 850 and BLOCKING , you would just cool the entire column if a SW got cut off and trapped .

If you posted this on another board where there 25 METS discussing this , I swear you be laughed off the board . I will be kind and tell you that you are blocking the trough underneath for the better part of 10 days and if something comes through the flow the warm air to the S will help deepen any system .

You guys do not understand what a look like that could produce and continue to huddle in your own little dunce sphere worrying about the calendar .

The 0 line at 850 is down near the SC border . ( Which is roughly 600 miles from KNYC ) but what`s 500 miles when opining something dumb .

What makes the set up GREAT is when you see - 10 air at 850 and BLOCKING , you would just cool the entire column if a SW got cut off and trapped .

If you posted this on another board where there 25 METS discussing this , I swear you be laughed off the board . I will be kind and tell you that you are blocking the trough underneath for the better part of 10 days and if something comes through the flow the warm air to the S will help deepen any system .

You guys do not understand what a look like that could produce and continue is your own little dunce sphere about the calendar .

You do not understand what you are looking at .

Did you even read my post. Did you miss where I said SURFACE? Yes I realize the 850 temps are down there. Let's see what it looks like within 72 hrs.

Did you even read my post. Did you miss where I said SURFACE? Yes I realize the 850 temps are down there. Let's see what it looks like within 72 hrs.

F the surface if there is not precip .... The set up is ripe for something to get cut off . You are looking at -10 departures for 10 days . ok so 40 degrees and sunny is a win , that's great .

But  any SW that comes through the flow is liable to get stuck and blowup . That`s the set up  That is not marginal

F the surface if there is not precip .... The set up is ripe for something to get cut off . You are looking at -10 departures for 10 days . ok so 40 degrees and sunny is a win , that's great .

But any SW that comes through the flow is liable to get stuck and blowup . That`s the set up That is not marginal

It's late March and we're south of New England. It's marginal by definition.

It's late March and we're south of New England. It's marginal by definition.

Dude , I beg you , please stop wasting everyone`s time and go look at the guidance . What can you prove ?

Show us how the models don`t see a 7 SD move lower in the AO

Show us  how the  MJO isn`t amped in phase 7-8 ,

Show us that - 10  air at 850 does not get stuck under higher connected heights in the upper latitudes .

Show us that the 500mb maps are not epic by any MET standards  

Show us how the models are not seeing -10 NEGS  for 10 days .

When you see blocking like that , all one needs is the surface to respond . Nothing else should matter .

I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" road.

The trend all season has been drier and weaker and I see no reason why any of that would change now.

Too many times we've been fooled into thinking that the pattern would make a major flip into a blocking regime and all Winter it's ended up either being transient or hasn't happened.

Forgive me for being a debbie downer, but it's hard to ignore seasonal trends, especially when climo is becoming increasingly unfavorable each day that passes.

I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" road.

The trend all season has been drier and weaker and I see no reason why any of that would change now.

Too many times we've been fooled into thinking that the pattern would make a major flip into a blocking regime and all Winter it's ended up either being transient or hasn't happened.

Forgive me for being a debbie downer, but it's hard to ignore seasonal trends, especially when climo is becoming increasingly unfavorable each day that passes.

We have never had any sustained block modeled or realized all winter and now every model sees it in a big way.  

I'm in wait and see mode, too, but am not applying any seasonal trends to this upcoming situation.

Archived