joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3rd Snow/Sleet/FreezingRain/Rain Observations

IsentropicLift

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree. But I also think every 6 hours works or when there's a phase change.

I don't think the every 6 hours wiping of a board and wiping at a phase change are the same thing.  Wiping at a phase change would essentially be saying that we are measuring snow and sleet separately.

My main desire is that all measurements would be done the same way, whatever that way is.  Admittedly there may be various purposes better served by different methods including, presumably, aviation.

Guest Pamela

Yes, but you are only reporting the one time when the depth was the greatest.  The old way of wiping a board periodically and adding the totals is no longer prescribed (with certain exceptions mentioned in the pdf).

If the rules are changed midway through the game then the entire climate dataset will be out of sync.  Now that's not to say that we should be forever ruled by a method that may be unsound; but if we are to abandon it, we should only do so after a careful weighing of the potential costs & benefits of such a step.  Had the "old way" been S.O.P. since the cooperative network was first established?

If the rules are changed midway through the game then the entire climate dataset will be out of sync.  Had the "old way" been S.O.P. since the cooperative network was first established?

No.  Not sure how long they were wiping the board, but the old old way was closer to the current way.  There could have been multiple changes in the guidelines over the past 150 years; I don't know.

And you are correct in that the climate dataset is out of synch.

February 1978 and March 1888 are perfect examples of long duration storms where the snowfall reported in NYC was considerably less than would have been reported under more recent "board wiping" guidelines.

You can't do an accurate comparison of one of those to, say February 2006 when the max snow depth was less than the total snowfall reported.

I don't think the every 6 hours wiping of a board and wiping at a phase change are the same thing. Wiping at a phase change would essentially be saying that we are measuring snow and sleet separately.

My main desire is that all measurements would be done the same way, whatever that way is. Admittedly there may be various purposes better served by different methods including, presumably, aviation.

They aren't the same thing at all. I just think wiping the board every 6 hours and measuring at a phase change are more accurate. But I will continue to follow guidelines.

Archived