joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3rd Snow/Sleet/FreezingRain/Rain Observations

IsentropicLift

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It says "or when sleet/snow reaches its maximum depth".

So sounds like you can measure multiple times if you feel depth is rising in certain situations?

Like today?

Yes, but you are only reporting the one time when the depth was the greatest.  The old way of wiping a board periodically and adding the totals is no longer prescribed (with certain exceptions mentioned in the pdf).

You can clear once per day and I'm a night owl, so my 24 hour totals are from 12:00AM to 11:59PM for snowfall.  The snow depths I record are as of 9AM everyday, although I will make a note if the depth was greater in between.

A lot of coop observers will use some other hour (mostly in the 7 - 9am range) for their standard daily reporting including snowfall, although I've seen some presumed late sleepers have an afternoon time...perhaps that is the zookeepers issue :) .

Guest Pamela

27 Sleet.  A few snow flakes still from time to time, but nearly all sleet.

It did not seem to snow very much in Port Jeff Ed...it started late & ended early. 

Temp also rising quickly here.  Now up to almost 30.  That is up 3 degrees in the past hour.  IP/ZR mix now. 

I thought it would snow here until 7PM and then remain frozen until 9PM.  Looks like both changes are going to be ahead of schedule.

We've gotten 1" of snow/sleet.  Current snow depth is 17".  It seems unlikely we will accumulate any more tonight.  Too bad, since it leaves us 0.3" shy of 50" for the season, but then again tomorrow (actually Thursday) is another day.

no wonder so many li reports seem high

The way he is doing it results in lower reports, not higher. Clearing a board and adding the totals would result in greater amounts but that is not what he (nor I) are doing.  I cannot speak for the rest of LI, NYC, NJ or anywhere else.  That is why I threw my educational two cents in about measuring guidelines.

The way he is doing it results in lower reports, not higher. Clearing a board and adding the totals would result in greater amounts but that is not what he (nor I) are doing.  I cannot speak for the rest of LI, NYC, NJ or anywhere else.  That is why I threw my educational two cents in about measuring guidelines.

Right, thanks.

Guest Pamela

It did not seem to snow very much in Port Jeff Ed...it started late & ended early. 

The total here appears to be 7/10ths of an inch. 

i thought he meant he clears the board every time he measures?

Hey Northshore, have you ever heard why they are against wiping the board?

I haven't.  There is a point at which it becomes ridiculous (e.g., wiping every hour in lake effect), but if you take it to the opposite extreme you could say wipe the board once per season and then snowfall would equal max snow depth.  The ideal is to get a total for every storm.

Personally, I think you should wipe the board at phase changes, so that in my snow/sleet scenario above you would report 9", not 7", but that is not the way it works.

I haven't.  There is a point at which it becomes ridiculous (e.g., wiping every hour in lake effect), but if you take it to the opposite extreme you could say wipe the board once per season and then snowfall would equal max snow depth.  The ideal is to get a total for every storm.

Personally, I think you should wipe the board at phase changes, so that in my snow/sleet scenario above you would report 9", not 7", but that is not the way it works.

i think it should be snowdepth, thats whats on the ground. would be much more uniform measuring guidline if people did it that way

I haven't. There is a point at which it becomes ridiculous (e.g., wiping every hour in lake effect), but if you take it to the opposite extreme you could say wipe the board once per season and then snowfall would equal max snow depth. The ideal is to get a total for every storm.

Personally, I think you should wipe the board at phase changes, so that in my snow/sleet scenario above you would report 9", not 7", but that is not the way it works.

Completely agree. But I also think every 6 hours works or when there's a phase change.

i thought he meant he clears the board every time he measures?

NO, HUH? How did you get that from this?? Serious question...

I'm measuring total new depth on my patio(clean before start of event). Not using a board and clearing everytime, just to be clear.

Archived