joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

JoshM

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that about wraps it up this year.  I'll give this winter a C-.  Dec and Jan were terrible.  February was pretty nice with two underperforming "threats" that produced winter precip. 

Next year has to have blocking and a southern stream....that's what I'm looking for.  Also looking for the pattern that manifests itself in December.  It seems like the pattern that shows usually sticks around for the most part through the winter. 

I'd also be interested in hearing Cohen backpeddle.  Truly, winter forecasting is simply not worth the paper it's written on.  There's always something unforeseen that screws up the forecast.  Analogs are the same.  However it was interesting that Webber kept touting February being better for Nino's etc and that held true. 

How on earth was the first event "underperforming"? The second event dropped an inch of snow where we were just expecting scattered snow showers. 

I got a good 1-2 inches of sleet, that at first was looking like 4-8 of snow. The most snow was 1/2 inch during the surprise Tuesday storm. Then 1/8 inch of sleet , when they were calling for 3-7 of snow! So 2" of sleet and half inch of snow puts me at about 25% of climo ! This winter sucked and fab Feb wasn't that great imby. I'd give it a D-

Agreed webber nailed it.

And to beat the dead horse, we don't have to have a negative nao/ ao to have a good winter here. Yes it helps, but give me a pos pna placed just right and the rest will eventually take care of itself, espeacilly with some split flow. Imo it's been a cold winter. Nov and Feb where abnormally cold, Jan a tick below avg and Dec only ended up +2. I have to give this winter a 90 on a 100 point scale. Anytime you end up above normal snow wise and below normal cold wise it's a win imo. One thing is for sure seasonal long range forecasting is way futher behind than I thought. Man has a long way to go predicting mother nature/weather patterns.

I got a good 1-2 inches of sleet, that at first was looking like 4-8 of snow. The most snow was 1/2 inch during the surprise Tuesday storm. Then 1/8 inch of sleet , when they were calling for 3-7 of snow! So 2" of sleet and half inch of snow puts me at about 25% of climo ! This winter sucked and fab Feb wasn't that great imby. I'd give it a D-

Mack,

1) Are you saying your longterm average snowfall is 10"? If so, that seems very high.

2) Cheer up. 2" of sleet is equivalent to at least 5" of snow water contentwise. :)

I'm going to be on my third year of having a small garden.   Anyone have some ideas of some additions for a novice.   Lat year I had:

Squash/zucchini.   Did well until about the 4th of July, then Borer work nailed it

Tomatoes:   Did well, did get some blight on the lower leaves  (better boys)

Cucumbers:   Did well but damn they go out of control

Peppers:   Jalapeno and Bell.  Jalapeno did awesome,  Bell sucked

By far I enjoyed the tomatoes and squash and zucchini the most.

Looking for some easy additions for a limited space garden.

Thanks  

-Kevin

I'm going to be on my third year of having a small garden.   Anyone have some ideas of some additions for a novice.   Lat year I had:

Squash/zucchini.   Did well until about the 4th of July, then Borer work nailed it

Tomatoes:   Did well, did get some blight on the lower leaves  (better boys)

Cucumbers:   Did well but damn they go out of control

Peppers:   Jalapeno and Bell.  Jalapeno did awesome,  Bell sucked

By far I enjoyed the tomatoes and squash and zucchini the most.

Looking for some easy additions for a limited space garden.

Thanks  

-Kevin

Potatoes, carrots, and cantaloupes are good!

Never thought of Cantaloupe.  Do they need a lot of space?

It vines out like a watermelon, cucumber, or pumpkin. It may require more space than you have. Potatoes and carrots don't, especially carrots. With potatoes, it depends on how many you want to plant. You need to mound them up and put them 12-18 inches apart, I believe. We have voles, and they eat up all of our root plants (and some of the roots of the others), so we didn't do a garden last year. We did plant corn one year too. That was fun!

I have tried growing pumpkins and squash, but the squash bugs and vine borers get in them and kill them.

It vines out like a watermelon, cucumber, or pumpkin. It may require more space than you have. Potatoes and carrots don't, especially carrots. With potatoes, it depends on how many you want to plant. You need to mound them up and put them 12-18 inches apart, I believe. We have voles, and they eat up all of our root plants (and some of the roots of the others), so we didn't do a garden last year. We did plant corn one year too. That was fun!

I have tried growing pumpkins and squash, but the squash bugs and vine borers get in them and kill them.

Same here, usually around the fourth of July I have to pull them.   Is there not anyway to prevent those damn things?   I love the Zucchini and crooked neck squash, but like clockwork the always get zapped

Same here, usually around the fourth of July I have to pull them.   Is there not anyway to prevent those damn things?   I love the Zucchini and crooked neck squash, but like clockwork the always get zapped

Pesticides are the only thing I know of. Don't much like using those though.

Spring fever is setting in. Yep good garden banter. We usually do a garden also. We usually have potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeño peppers, cabbage, beans, cucumbers, squash, corn, several different type of tomatoes, and watermelon. We also have chickens for eggs. We usually get about 15 eggs a day.

Spring fever is setting in. Yep good garden banter. We usually do a garden also. We usually have potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeño peppers, cabbage, beans, cucumbers, squash, corn, several different type of tomatoes, and watermelon. We also have chickens for eggs. We usually get about 15 eggs a day.

you must have a HUGE garden. 

Pesticides are the only thing I know of. Don't much like using those though.

Same here, In my small garden I use a mix of Murpy's oil soap, hot sauce, listerine mouth wash, tobacco juice (wad of chew soaked in water overnight) water and a little dish soap.  Works wonders and keeps the pests mostly at bay.  Got the recipe from one of Jerry Baker's gardening books...  his books are online at that big website (can I mention the name in here?)

Edit: be careful on the tomatoes, tobacco is related somehow and can spread fungus to them.  but a once a week application should do it.

Same here, In my small garden I use a mix of Murpy's oil soap, hot sauce, listerine mouth wash, tobacco juice (wad of chew soaked in water overnight) water and a little dish soap.  Works wonders and keeps the pests mostly at bay.  Got the recipe from one of Jerry Baker's gardening books...  his books are online at that big website (can I mention the name in here?)

Edit: be careful on the tomatoes, tobacco is related somehow and can spread fungus to them.  but a once a week application should do it.

Very interesting! I have tried a little insecticide soap, but that didn't work too well. I might have to look that concoction up. Thanks for passing the tip along!

Y'all make it too complicated. I grow 2 tomato plants every year. That's it, whatever I get , I get !

Until the hornworm finds then and it's a wrap! :(

Do you use raised beds? I plan on putting them in this year. I have chickens as well. I get about 6/10 a day.

Archived