• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter

JoshM

CR, Do you see Fri/Sat supposed event for the Triangle trending NW? I can almost feel it this far out. :axe:

I'm not RC, but I think since about 2 days ago, y'all have been looking better and more frozen. This would more than likely trend further SE than models have progged now, this is a serious and almost unheard of for this time of year, the cold push!

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol...good one!  No seriously, I see the same sn's here all the time no matter what time I login. I also notice most of you don't donate either. lol. 

Mobile phones and tablets are amazing devices.  Plus it helps I work from home/local pc repair and stuff.

Speaking of which, I need you to mail me the entire AWIPS setup please.  I want 9 screens though.

CR, Do you see Fri/Sat supposed event for the Triangle trending NW?  I can almost feel it this far out.  :axe:

this isn't a setup than can really trend NW, its anafrontal so once you go cold it stays that way, its more a question of how much overrunning moisture there is and if there are any more organized waves to intensify the QPF etc....Also distance behind the front will have a lot to do with Ptypes but most of NC should be all snow if the models are right......at least after a period of sleet.

MHX has actually put it in our forecast this far out which is surprising to me..they are usually really conservative with winter weather,

Thursday Rain and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday Night A chance of snow and sleet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 30%

I'm assuming you live around here somewhere, did you actually get accum snow at your house?

I got about 2 inches here in G-ville. Pretty bad bust across the srn half of the CWFA. I think we only verified warning levels mainly across the NC zones. It wont be the last big bust I'm sure and it will make another good case study.

Whoever argues you have to have a neg nao/ao to have a good winter in NC has to have their head in the sand the past 2 years.

RDU has finished D,J,F ABOVE AVG SNOWFALL WISE and BELOW NORMAL COLD. Greensboro is the same.

Feb at RDU was -9.5   unreal

Highlights of the winter where obviously November and A FAB,FAB,FAB February.

Whoever argues you have to have a neg nao/ao to have a good winter in NC has to have their head in the sand the past 2 years.

RDU has finished D,J,F ABOVE AVG SNOWFALL WISE and BELOW NORMAL COLD. Greensboro is the same.

Feb at RDU was -9.5 unreal

Highlights of the winter where obviously November and A FAB,FAB,FAB February.

The winter finally behaved like a classic cold weak El Niño/+PDO but it took til Feb. to do it. The predominance of +NAO/AO battled it until it lost bigtime in Feb. Interestingly, DJF ended up ~-2 at PDK in NE ATL when all was said and done, which is pretty impressive considering the mild Dec. my prediction was for -3 or colder in ATL for DJF. So, my forecast was too cold.

This next threat is a yawn fest, can we just skip it and get to severe wx season?

I'll take the threat, but honestly it's hard to even consider it a threat here.  It's the kind of setup that really rarely works out in these parts.  Maybe it'll work out for the Deep South in AL/MS, but I have my doubts there, too.

I've got to fly from Greensboro -> Charlotte -> Miami -> Lima -> Cusco on Friday, so whatever happens I hope it doesn't linger into Friday and screw that up.

Since we are in March it will be interesting reading Cohens explanation about the SAI and why it failed horribly. Also going forward it will be interesting if we can get back to some blocking in the NAO region in the coming winters. Seems like the last good blocking in the NAO region was January of 2011. That is a good bit of time between some good blocking in the NAO region. Also isohum thanks for all the Q and A .

Since we are in March it will be interesting reading Cohens explanation about the SAI and why it failed horribly. Also going forward it will be interesting if we can get back to some blocking in the NAO region in the coming winters. Seems like the last good blocking in the NAO region was January of 2011. That is a good bit of time between some good blocking in the NAO region. Also isohum thanks for all the Q and A .

He'll probably come up with some QBO mess. We should make the Isohume thing a weekly deal...like a Sunday afternoon fireside chat with Isohume! :)

Well that about wraps it up this year.  I'll give this winter a C-.  Dec and Jan were terrible.  February was pretty nice with two underperforming "threats" that produced winter precip. 

Next year has to have blocking and a southern stream....that's what I'm looking for.  Also looking for the pattern that manifests itself in December.  It seems like the pattern that shows usually sticks around for the most part through the winter. 

I'd also be interested in hearing Cohen backpeddle.  Truly, winter forecasting is simply not worth the paper it's written on.  There's always something unforeseen that screws up the forecast.  Analogs are the same.  However it was interesting that Webber kept touting February being better for Nino's etc and that held true. 

Well that about wraps it up this year. I'll give this winter a C-. Dec and Jan were terrible. February was pretty nice with two underperforming "threats" that produced winter precip.

Next year has to have blocking and a southern stream....that's what I'm looking for. Also looking for the pattern that manifests itself in December. It seems like the pattern that shows usually sticks around for the most part through the winter.

I'd also be interested in hearing Cohen backpeddle. Truly, winter forecasting is simply not worth the paper it's written on. There's always something unforeseen that screws up the forecast. Analogs are the same. However it was interesting that Webber kept touting February being better for Nino's etc and that held true.

Yep, Webber and the weak Niño for the win for Feb being very cold and active. Webber IMO absolutely deserves kudos for Feb.

Archived