Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a key player

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=de&inv=0&t=cur

tonight's soundings will be interesting

the reason why the south had snow this week were their crazy dp's aloft and down low which still allowed them to get decent snow after reaching mid-40's during the day

Thursday night ROA had a dp is -48.5C at the 850 level as 1 example

now, it ain't that dry tonight, but I'm sure soundings will show some pretty dry air down the east coast

I have serious doubts that most can breach freezing tomorrow....if the precip comes.

as someone who loves wacky weather, part of me wants a sizable ice storm.  that said, not having heat and electricity isn't really something that i can say is very exciting.  i drove through a pretty legit ice storm in nc last year and dam near ran out of gas because every gas station in the raleigh/durham area was closed.  luckily, there was one near charlotte that was open, or else it would have been a pretty unpleasant situation.  ice storms are serious 'ish.  i'd rather have snow and sleet.

Interesting forecast for Springfield, MO with the point and click showing <1" under a wsw for 5-7" http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=154&map.y=178&site=sgf&zmx=1&zmy=1

eta: For archive purposes...

"Snow, possibly mixed with freezing rain before midnight, then snow, possibly mixed with freezing drizzle. Low around 25. Wind chill values as low as 17. Southeast wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible."

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO608 PM CST SAT FEB 28 2015...WINTER STORM THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT...MOZ057-058-068>071-079>083-090>092-010815-/O.UPG.KSGF.WW.Y.0009.000000T0000Z-150301T1800Z//O.NEW.KSGF.WS.W.0003.150301T0008Z-150301T1800Z/MILLER-MARIES-HICKORY-CAMDEN-PULASKI-PHELPS-POLK-DALLAS-LACLEDE-TEXAS-DENT-GREENE-WEBSTER-WRIGHT-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ELDON...LAKE OZARK...VIENNA...HERMITAGE...OSAGE BEACH...CAMDENTON...FORT LEONARD WOOD...WAYNESVILLE...ROLLA...BOLIVAR...BUFFALO...LEBANON...HOUSTON...CABOOL...SALEM...SPRINGFIELD...MARSHFIELD...ROGERSVILLE...MOUNTAIN GROVE...MANSFIELD608 PM CST SAT FEB 28 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST SUNDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SPRINGFIELD HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WARNING FOR SNOW AND FREEZING DRIZZLE...WHICH IS IN EFFECTUNTIL NOON CST SUNDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER INEFFECT.* TIMING AND AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH  CENTRAL MISSOURI.* SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 7 INCHES.* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...LESS THAN ONE TENTH OF AN INCH.

I am flying from HNL to IAD, scheduled to land around 1pm tomorrow. I havent been following the weather until now, but do you think this thing is significant enough to cause airport delays?

Yes. Because you must not only focus on IAD but all storm track airports and any flights entering or leaving storm track airports. The entire system takes a hit.

Archived