Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ice/Wintery Mix Event 3/1

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We aren't getting an ice storm. No one near the cities or in the immediate suburbs will get anything more than slush. Impactful ice storms around the cities require massively thick cloud decks during peak climo with powerful highs seeping in fresh cold air. I am not talking about something that impacts the boonies and breaks some branches in the forest. That isn't an ice storm in the cities.

Well I guess we might as well close the thread then and stop tracking this one.

I think those maps are pretty useless in these types of situations. It's probably counting all of the precip in the 3 hour period of snow, when the flip to ice is partway through. I'm pretty sure those maps count sleet as snow too.

I remember the 94 ice storm that affected east of DC through to the Chesapeake. Sure it didn't get DC proper, but you can't say that all ice storms are over-hyped simply because some are, and many of us don't live in the big cities where the heat island makes these sorts of storms harder to occur.

I'm already down to 17F with a DP of 9F. There is a massive sheet of ice near me that stretches some 40 miles up the Chesapeake Bay and its full width. I was looking at an ice pile (I won't call it ice berg since it's a pile of sheet ice formed by the tidal action) the size of a small house today. Winds are expected to be light tomorrow, and anyone near the bay is going to have that warmer SE wind blowing across all that ice before it reaches them.

We track flurries around here, so no. But climo says this will be mostly nothing of note. Ice storms are the most overhyped weather we have around here.

People say this all the time but I don't really think it's true. Has anyone really called for a powerline-toppling icemaggedon? When was the last ZR event where any major forecaster did? Considering the amount of people who trip on ice and injure themselves, I'd go out on a limb and say snow is what is really overhyped.

People say this all the time but I don't really think it's true. Has anyone really called for a powerline-toppling icemaggedon? When was the last ZR event where any major forecaster did? Considering the amount of people who trip on ice and injure themselves, I'd go out on a limb and say snow is what is really overhyped.

Yeah, pretty much agree.  I don't get some of the sarcasm or negativity about the possibility tomorrow.  Nobody that I know of was calling for a major ice storm.  Likewise, this was not really going to be much of a snow event...the ice/sleet has been the big story here.  While it won't be crippling, especially in the urban areas, it won't be anything to overlook either.  Either way, it's an interesting winter event.

Hey everyone,

I'm in the Hampton Roads area at the moment at a conference and a number of us are scheduled to drive back to the DC area starting around 10:30 or 11 a.m. tomorrow.  As you can guess, there's a bit of concern about the weather.  I haven't been able to get on the board much today, so I'd appreciate a summation of what to expect.  From what I can see there could be some freezing rain down here but it'll change over earlier, while Richmond northward could be fun.

Thanks!!!

Hey everyone,

I'm in the Hampton Roads area at the moment at a conference and a number of us are scheduled to drive back to the DC area starting around 10:30 or 11 a.m. tomorrow.  As you can guess, there's a bit of concern about the weather.  I haven't been able to get on the board much today, so I'd appreciate a summation of what to expect.  From what I can see there could be some freezing rain down here but it'll change over earlier, while Richmond northward could be fun.

Thanks!!!

If you have good tires and patience, you should be fine. 

Yeah, pretty much agree.  I don't get some of the sarcasm or negativity about the possibility tomorrow.  Nobody that I know of was calling for a major ice storm.  Likewise, this was not really going to be much of a snow event...the ice/sleet has been the big story here.  While it won't be crippling, especially in the urban areas, it won't be anything to overlook either.  Either way, it's an interesting winter event.

I was actually on my way to buy a chainsaw and a generator but then I saw PhineasC's post and breathed a sigh of relief. 

Archived