joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 26 Storm DISC+OBS

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being on the edge sucks. I was on the very southern edge of the front end THUMP in the last event. Totalled probably 100 flakes between noon and 4 pm, while 10 miles north 2-3 inches fell during that time. I ended up with 2 hours of decent snow before it flipped to sleet/zr. This event I could very well end up on the very northern edge. But I wont sit there staring and obsessing over the radar. I found other stuff to do last Saturday. There are other things. Theres beer.

So no joke- how did we go from everything trending wetter 2 hours ago, bob Ryan/mr conservative getting excited and posting this tweet... To all of the sudden storm cancel like 30 minutes later. Clearly something went terribly wrong ... I'm curious to know why NAM and HRRR reversed and bailed so suddenly.

I knew that.... um... yeah :axe:

Besides that, Bob Ryan seems to like it

Bob Ryan ‏@BobRyanCCM 21m21 minutes ago

dProg/dt in HRRR hinting more snow DC area -southern suburbs and BIG AM rush problems. Set alarm early. School?? pic.twitter.com/iBwPwWo2Gv

Interesting and a tad comical excerpt from Mt Holly this evening-

IN A VERY CONFLICTING WINTER THERE WAS CONFLICTED VERIFICATION THROUGH
00Z. BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF VERIFIED BEST WITH THE PCPN MASS
FIELDS (WRF-NMMB AND SREF MEAN WAS TOO FAR NORTHWEST). PROBLEM
GOING FORWARD IS THAT THEY SPLIT WITH THE NORTHWESTERN EXTENT OF
THE PCPN. LATEST 00Z WRF-NMMB HAD A SHIFT TO THE SE IN ITS
HEAVIER PCPN AXIS  AND THIS WOULD MAKE SENSE GIVEN
ABOVE. RAP HAS BEEN PRETTY BULLISH WITH ITS PCPN THIS EVENING,
BUT IT TOO IS VERIFYING TOO WET IN THE CAROLINAS.

So no joke- how did we go from everything trending wetter 2 hours ago, bob Ryan/mr conservative getting excited and posting this tweet... To all of the sudden storm cancel like 30 minutes later. Clearly something went terribly wrong ... I'm curious to know why NAM and HRRR reversed and bailed so suddenly.

They will come back.

We've moved from zilch to on the edge the last cupple days and the edge has been wobbling. I wouldnt say anything has gone wrong. If the edge ends up being further east than first thought it should hardly shock anyone. T-3" for the cities/close burbs has been the range.

When I saw some of the Euro's runs from last weekend I said this thing has to make a move north at least to the extent that would have brought similar totals up here as the system last Monday. This storm just kept ticking a bit north but never really made that big jump.

Most crowded airspace in the country given Eglin, Hurlburt, and NAS Pensacola. Eglin is the largest AFB given the huge ranges on it.

Went digging further check these out (time sensitive -- though I may save because they are cool):

Key West (looks like a set earlier than this current one) http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=BYX-N0Q-1-200

AMX: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=AMX-N0Q-1-200

In the Key West one you can see it set off then picked up by the wind early.. this current set appears to have originated out over the Gulf. Could all be NAS Key West maybe.

Even the mets can only follow the models as we do. Not one post that I saw mentioned the possibility of this collapsing at 0z. From anyone. The newer data is observing the fact that the NW edge will not verify as far NW. That's it.

When I saw some of the Euro's runs from last weekend I said this thing has to make a move north at least to the extent that would have brought similar totals up here as the system last Monday. This storm just kept ticking a bit north but never really made that big jump.

the more I look at the radar, the more it looks like a big storm to me

the only thing I can say is that if it does disappoint, it's got to have to do with the northern stream system messing up the lift or cold, dry air filtering in from the N & NW

Hard to pinpoint exactly why but my guess is the upper level support may not be as strong for our area as first thought and the more intense precip/dynamics closer to the coastal are inhibiting the nw edge from pushing.

We'll see how it plays out over the next 12 hours. The cutoff has been a clear and present danger for the dca-bwi corridor. Hopefully Wes gets 3"+

Archived