joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wed Feb 18th Convective Snow Shower Chances

burgertime

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the band just north of Hickory has started moving more northeast the last few frames. Not sure what impact that will have downstream. Or maybe I'm just seeing things!

Nah.  Just a dissipation of the band on the SW side and an increase in precip on the NE side as it merges with the band behind it giving the illusion of a more NE movement.

I heard there was 1/4" in north Marietta on the roads! Dangerous for driving now?

Really beautiful in Dunwoody. Temp fell from 34 to 32 with significant snow shower.

We just had a good shower here as well.  Beautiful, I can't confirm the road conditions in N. Marietta but per radar they got hit with a stronger band than I did here so it's possible.

Good deal! Maybe we can drop back into the 40s when the clouds roll in here. :o The radar is looking pretty good out west now.

lol CR why are you worried about temps? Steep lapse rates will take care of it, have you noticed them crashing now? 37 now at RDU :) Dropping like a rock. If anything the 40's and sunny sky increased CAPE and instability for #thundersnow later.

I heard there was 1/4" in north Marietta on the roads! Dangerous for driving now?

Really beautiful in Dunwoody. Temp fell from 34 to 32 with significant snow shower.

g

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA109 PM EST WED FEB 18 2015PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 805 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015/UPDATE...HAVE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY DUE TO REPORTS OF SNOWSTICKING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. CURRENTLY WE HAVE ABOUT A QUARTEROF AN INCH OF SNOW ACCUMULATING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA AS THE TAILEND OF THE SHORTWAVE OVER TN SWEEPS THROUGH NORTH GA TODAY. WE CANEXPECT UP TO AN INCH OF TOTAL ACCUMULATION BY LATER THIS AFTERNOONAS THIS SYSTEM EXITS THE AREA. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY EXPIRESAT 00Z THU.

lol CR why are you worried about temps? Steep lapse rates will take care of it, have you noticed them crashing now? 37 now at RDU :) Dropping like a rock. If anything the 40's and sunny sky increased CAPE and instability for #thundersnow later.

I ALWAYS worry about temps, man. That numero uno on my list. I hate relying on lapse rates, cloud cover, dynamic cooling, sun angles, moon angles, night time, or overturned ice trucks to get temps below freezing. But yeah, in this case, it probably won't be a big deal.

oh for fooks sake, really?

I sheet you not.

Think CLT is going to get blanked on this one...that band is dying out on the southend of it. 

CLT never really looked good on any of the modeling honestly...always was picking up on small returns maybe especially on the high res short range modeling. If I was told CLT was completely missed and dry outside of some flakes I wouldn't be surprised.

What's the best setting on radarscope to pick this stuff up?  I noticed the person who posted the image had it in precip depiction mode.  

I like SuperRes Reflectivity to pick up where the heaviest bands are...I only use precip depiction during mixing situations

Well, it's super windy, gusting up to about 25 now. Thankfully we had about an hour of sunlight and that melted some but not all of the ice off the trees, so the pines aren't leaning over quite as badly as they were.

We are getting tiny tiny flurry bursts, so I guess I can officially say that this winter was not a complete snow shut out here, even though these little flakes won't stick. :)

CLT never really looked good on any of the modeling honestly...always was picking up on small returns maybe especially on the high res short range modeling. If I was told CLT was completely missed and dry outside of some flakes I wouldn't be surprised.

Yea I was hoping to get lucky on a quick band. Might still do it some dark clouds are starting to roll in now just gotta keep that band together. 

Archived