• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wed Feb 18th Convective Snow Shower Chances

burgertime

It really is going to be pointless depending on the RAP or HRRR ....maybe will give a good idea about a very general path but I expect we will see something more widespread or moisture popping up out of nowhere much like a summer thunderstorm with this system. It does look like though it will be further north though. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is going to be pointless depending on the RAP or HRRR ....maybe will give a good idea about a very general path but I expect we will see something more widespread or moisture popping up out of nowhere much like a summer thunderstorm with this system. It does look like though it will be further north though. 

Thats the thing with these type of setups you just never know.....it could get over the mts and go nuts with a decent size area of general snow or it could be streaky and spotty. Just got to hope that it will be a overperformer.

Keep in mind HRRR is processed hourly.

For example, we depend on it heavily in the mountains when we are outside hunting, hiking or other and it does an excellent job of giving one to several hours warning on development of pop up thunderstorms in the summer time.   It has been extremely valuable with the modeling of the next several hours.

Expect to outlook for a point in time (this afternoon) to change as more updated data is pushed into the model each hour this morning.

For this afternoon, I would expect the coverage to be relatively spotty in several thin convective lines, but those lucky enough to be under one of those lines will likely get a very quick ground cover less than 1 inch and enough to stay around in many places the remainder of the week as a bonus with the extreme cold moving in.

Enjoy what we all get !

Latest from FFC

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
805 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

.UPDATE...
HAVE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY DUE TO REPORTS OF SNOW
STICKING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. CURRENTLY WE HAVE ABOUT A QUARTER
OF AN INCH OF SNOW ACCUMULATING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA AS THE TAIL
END OF THE SHORTWAVE OVER TN SWEEPS THROUGH NORTH GA TODAY. WE CAN
EXPECT UP TO AN INCH OF TOTAL ACCUMULATION BY LATER THIS AFTERNOON
AS THIS SYSTEM EXITS THE AREA. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY EXPIRES
AT 00Z THU.

Latest from FFC

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

805 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

.UPDATE...

HAVE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY DUE TO REPORTS OF SNOW

STICKING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA. CURRENTLY WE HAVE ABOUT A QUARTER

OF AN INCH OF SNOW ACCUMULATING ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA AS THE TAIL

END OF THE SHORTWAVE OVER TN SWEEPS THROUGH NORTH GA TODAY. WE CAN

EXPECT UP TO AN INCH OF TOTAL ACCUMULATION BY LATER THIS AFTERNOON

AS THIS SYSTEM EXITS THE AREA. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY EXPIRES

AT 00Z THU.

Wife called to say we have a flizzard outside and my snow starved son is going ape caca.  It is sticking but so light it wont add up to much. 

Flurries here and all my friends are freaking out thinking they might get stuck at school again. Lots of trauma from last year lol

We've got some pretty good flurries coming down over here as well.  26 degrees and getting breezy.....the hotels are gonna be full around here with all the folks still without power.

- Buck

Updated 12z HRRR Model Run for NC on Convective Snow Shower chances.

After existing the mountains, it depicts a Northern Mecklenburg County NC to VA Line passing of the convective line.

Image courtesy of WeatherBell

ph1QcbL.png

Nice, just like summer when about every convective line just misses me to the north. This system is different from Feb 2013 in that the trajectory of that line was much more NW to SE.

4km NAM...the banding will be feast or famine...still like I-40 corridor for atleast one of the bands.

Well done, Pack! That lower band of .1 is directly over my house! This one has the potential to be an overperformer. I'm not usually enthusiastic about these systems, but I'm feeling pretty good that some folks will see an inch of snow out of this.

man if we can get the front band and then the heavy one behind it we will be in business.  rush hour will be nightmarish for sure.

BTW these are free to the public: http://weather.graphics/hrrr/hrrr_gif.php

Wake and surrounding counties have been hit by this band for the last 24+ hours on all the modeling, even the WRF ARW/NMM aka RPM, so I can't see this changing today. Folks living in Wake, Harnett, and surrounding counties in Central NC have your video ready once it starts pouring look out for a chance at rare thundersnow! I've never heard it so I'm excited here. :underthewx::snowing:

man if we can get the front band and then the heavy one behind it we will be in business.  rush hour will be nightmarish for sure.

Only concern is 2m temps, we are already at 34F and it's 10am.  We will definitely get to atleast 40F today, probably low 40's, doubt we see all snow, probably rain and then brief snow....sunangleFTL.

NAM had us at 29 and GFS at 27 at 10am.  

Edit:  Although the warmer temps/sun may add to the instability?

Only concern is 2m temps, we are already at 34F and it's 10am.  We will definitely get to atleast 40F today, probably low 40's, doubt we see all snow, probably rain and then brief snow....sunangleFTL.

Don't worry about 2m temps. They will crash if you get under a good band. Just before Feb. 2013 I think we were at like 42 or something. This is what it looked like after like 45 minutes. 

Edit:  Although the warmer temps/sun may add to the instability?

It will add the instability, already seeing higher CAPE values with the 12z NAM at 94....and the column will be saturated quick. The upper levels are cold enough to where the ground temps won't matter. It's only above freezing really close to the surface. Once it starts the lower level temps go to zero.

vSIuuL0.png

BTW these are free to the public: http://weather.graphics/hrrr/hrrr_gif.php

Wake and surrounding counties have been hit by this band for the last 24+ hours on all the modeling, even the WRF ARW/NMM aka RPM, so I can't see this changing today. Folks living in Wake, Harnett, and surrounding counties in Central NC have your video ready once it starts pouring look out for a chance at rare thundersnow! I've never heard it so I'm excited here. :underthewx::snowing:

Yeah the ARW is the only model thats gung ho for the Charlotte area. There is just not enough synoptic forcing on the other models this far south. We will see though as once convection is set off it often propagates further south than what is modeled.

Archived