12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...officially NAM'd finally, it would appear!  I know those snow maps are not necessarily the greatest, but the fact that the northern extent of more significant amounts moved farther north I'd think is a good sign.  That said, as was mentioned above, precip amounts might be more useful.  Now...can the RGEM, GFS, Ukie, GGEM, and Euro continue?

The low is a touch north and a bit more dynamic looking coming up from the south. Main thing is it's wetter and heavy bands further north.

Amazing this storm is coming with such a ridiculous air mass in place. Coldest storm since the start of pd2(2003)?

The low is a touch north and a bit more dynamic looking coming up from the south. Main thing is it's wetter and heavy bands further north.

Stronger storm but about the same track. By 9z when it's off of the NC coast it's 1k vs 1008 with 18z run. It was stronger early on too. Good stuff.

Thanks.  This is what I was wondering as well.  Similar track and placement, but notably stronger with a wider (and wetter) precipitation field.  Good point about the heavy bands farther north too.

I'll agree to disagree ;-).

i'll give you this -- while technically all modeled QPF is an estimate of liquid that reaches the ground -- we're a long way away from getting an accurate specification/simulation of cloud microphysics, our current parameterizations are pretty simplified when you start considering how complicated the processes really are. A model won't print out "QPF" until the column can support it reaching the ground (purely model talk)...

i'll give you this -- while technically all modeled QPF is an estimate of liquid that reaches the ground -- we're a long way away from getting an accurate specification/simulation of cloud microphysics, our current parameterizations are pretty simplified when you start considering how complicated the processes really are. A model won't print out "QPF" until the column can support it reaching the ground...

Thanks for the explanation it's helpful. Final thought is if the model initializes the BL condition wrong and it's drier.

Thanks for the explanation it's helpful. Final thought is if the model initializes the BL condition wrong and it's drier.

always a good point -- if you're BL is initialized wrong, don't expect your model to get QPF right (sometimes I fall into the trap of explaining things in a "perfect model" sense). 

Archived