• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

Maybe it will get Matt up to close to his forecast as his temp call is going to be pretty doggone good. 

Yes, in this environment, climo (realistic analogs) would support at least 15-1. 11-12 to 1 is more climo, and 20-1 is tough outside of any northern stream clippers. But I must say, the sounding profiles, at least with the 12Z runs, were very good up here, with deep moisture and lift above the -10C isotherm. Averaging out all the various SLRs as well as SLR techniques at work today, I couldn't find any lower than 15-1 (...other than climo). Optimal temps aloft, and very cold surface temps, with the bulk of the accumulating snow occurring after dark = optimal accumulation efficiency for mid Feb. As good as it gets around here really..

-10F to -15F in the snow growth zone is ideal for dendrite growth.  NAM had a "warm" layer of -5F from about 800mb-700mb, but in that ideal temp range above that. I think we'll have nice crystal growth.  I think 15:1 is probably a touch too high for an area-wide average (maybe more 13-14:1, although maybe I'm splitting hairs), but I think some of the jackpot zones will end up with ratios of 15-17:1. 

I thought latest NAM soundings didn't look as good for snow growth as GFS, even with the higher QPF...Don't we want the DGZ to pretty much be fully saturated and super thick (~200mb) for >15:1?  I too was forecasting with 13.5:1 in mind, even here where lift will be better, but maybe I am too low?  I don't remember what soundings looked like on 1/30/10 and I don't trust DCA liquid, but I think we were a solid 17-18:1....

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea I think its becoming clear that the northern edge of the heavy snow banding will probably set up somewhere in our area.  I think DC is safe.  North of York is probably out of it for more then a couple inches.  Somewhere in between is where the fringe of the significant snows will set up.  I have no idea where that will be, and history suggests it usually ends up north of where models put it 24 hours out, but I am still nervous as usual. 

I have felt all along this looks like a 4 inch storm for us. Right now I would lean towards higher amounts up to 6 opposed to lesser amounts. If you average out qpf from all the models we are at about .35.

I thought latest NAM soundings didn't look as good for snow growth as GFS, even with the higher QPF...Don't we want the DGZ to pretty much be fully saturated and super thick (~200mb) for >15:1?  I too was forecasting with 13.5:1 in mind, even here where lift will be better, but maybe I am too low?  I don't remember what soundings looked like on 1/30/10 and I don't trust DCA liquid, but I think we were a solid 17-18:1....

Any further north solution is going to get a warmer layer between 700 and 500 mb, over -10 C. IIRC, ratios depend on where the best omega is located. If it is above or below this band we are in business for 15:1 or 20:1, if it is in this band we will have problems.

Any further north solution is going to get a warmer layer between 700 and 500 mb, over -10 C. IIRC, ratios depend on where the best omega is located. If it is above or below this band we are in business for 15:1 or 20:1, if it is in this band we will have problems.

yes...I think  you want best Omega at around -15.....I'm not too worried about lowering ratios with a further north solution...I have never rooted for less QPF because more would hurt snow growth and I'm  not going to start now...more QPF (as snow) is better....the end

Wes -- Not a perfect match but the Jan 30 2010 event may not be a bad analog (prior to snowmaggedon). Best QPF across central/southern VA, where snow amounts in the 6-12" range were observed. However a good swath of 6-8" of fluff extended well north into the DC metro area, without as much QPF. I wouldn't be surprised if we again see 2 max w-e axes, one farther south where the QPF is higher but perhaps the snow crystals are not as optimal, and maybe another one farther north (typically around I-70 as we often joke about) where the QPF isn't as high but the dendritic growth is optimal. That initial northern "finger" band if you will. It would appear to me however, given the thermal profiles aloft, that even the northern band will be farther south (compared to climo) this go around.

That would be my guesss but who knows,  we're probably parsing things too much. If I get .60" liquid I'll be supercharged as that will get me 8 inches at the very least unless I'm way off on the fluff factor.  If I get 8 then I won't care that much if someone else nearby gets 10 or 12.  If I get 5 and the Manchester gets 12 then I'd probalby be ticked off. 

Wes -- Not a perfect match but the Jan 30 2010 event may not be a bad analog (prior to snowmaggedon). Best QPF across central/southern VA, where snow amounts in the 6-12" range were observed. However a good swath of 6-8" of fluff extended well north into the DC metro area, without as much QPF. I wouldn't be surprised if we again see 2 max w-e axes, one farther south where the QPF is higher but perhaps the snow crystals are not as optimal, and maybe another one farther north (typically around I-70 as we often joke about) where the QPF isn't as high but the dendritic growth is optimal. That initial northern "finger" band if you will. It would appear to me however, given the thermal profiles aloft, that even the northern band will be farther south (compared to climo) this go around.

jan 2010 may not be a bad base though this seems further north with high qpf than that was.. we were not expecting quite as high of totals the day prior, numbers were upped into the end tho.

The NAM typically gets wetter in the near term. I will feel completely confident if the GFS comes north and wetter.

Euro was wet.. I still hold that the drying east of the Apps was at least partly bunk on early runs.. it's been filling in. There may be some shadow close by not all the wya to the coast IMO with that track.

yes...I think  you want best Omega at around -15.....I'm not too worried about lowering ratios with a further north solution...I have never rooted for less QPF because more would hurt snow growth and I'm  not going to start now...more QPF (as snow) is better....the end

Actually for stick around for awhile factor the higher QPF and a little lower fluff facto is a plus and in terms of snow removal the weight of the snow is what matters not the inches measurement. 

jan 2010 may not be a bad base though this seems further north with high qpf than that was.. we were not expecting quite as high of totals the day prior, numbers were upped into the end tho.

In that storm didn't the precip advance into the region directly from the south and tomorrow it will be overspreading the region from wsw. Don't know if it really makes a difference though.

In that storm didn't the precip advance into the region directly from the south and tomorrow it will be overspreading the region from wsw. Don't know if it really makes a difference though.

I keep seeing that case study get thrown around, but I'm not so sure which one you're referring to. There's no way this has the qpf of Snowmageddon 1 or 2 if that's the one...?

Further SW initially than modeled here I think. The low appears it was a little south per NARR http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us0130.php

Archived