• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

I'm going to ask again..I need everyone to keep the banter out of this thread.  Already had a convo with storm mode mods and regular mods that they are to be as harsh as possible in moderation.  If you want to banter, there's a thread especially for this.   Use this thread for strict model and storm related discussion.

If you are unsure on what a model shows, don't post it.

If you see your posts disappearing, take the hint.  If you don't, you'll be 5 posted.   

Midlo check PMs

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21z SREF Plumes just came out... mean is 10.6" at DCA... all members except 2 have DCA getting 5 inches of snow or more... ARW family going for over a foot with some of its members

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150215&RT=21&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=DCA&INC=&NNC=NMM&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=37.606711416872095&mLON=-78.59679154381752&mTYP=roadmap

I checked the individual 21z SRef members on the PSU ewall and several had a whole right over the NOVA DC area while many others were solid qpf numbers. I think there is still uncertainty with the dry air...at least in 25% of the members.

A bit weenie here but in theory couldn't that be seen as a good thing - if some showed a hole over the DC area and the plumes were still that high - if those ones with low QPF filled in the plumes would probably increase or at least get more confidence at that level. 

I checked the individual 21z SRef members on the PSU ewall and several had a whole right over the NOVA DC area while many others were solid qpf numbers. I think there is still uncertainty with the dry air...at least in 25% of the members.

So there was dry air around DC/NOVA but not Baltimore?.

21z SREF Plumes just came out... mean is 10.6" at DCA... all members except 2 have DCA getting 5 inches of snow or more... ARW family going for over a foot with some of its members

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150215&RT=21&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=DCA&INC=&NNC=NMM&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=37.606711416872095&mLON=-78.59679154381752&mTYP=roadmap

I took out the usually overamped ARW members and the mean drops to 8.4" - not bad at all when taking those out.  NMP3 going with 1.1" of snow - that member deserves an award if it turns out correct.

A bit weenie here but in theory couldn't that be seen as a good thing - if some showed a hole over the DC area and the plumes were still that high - if those ones with low QPF filled in the plumes would probably increase or at least get more confidence at that level.

Sure. The wet solutions were exceeding 0.75" and some pushing 1". But, I don't like seeing 3-4 totally dry solutions either. Adds some uncertainty to things especially if it's tough to moisten that artic airmass from the top down. Our best bet is moderate steady snow right off the bat.

I don't know why people in here always talk so much about the SREFs. Not a great model in my opinion. Certain members often tend to bias the output. It's farther North than all other guidance whats new. Now if the RGEM starts showing the best precip that far North then I will believe it.

We are in a better range for the SREF and they can add some detail by looking at the individual members.

I don't know why people in here always talk so much about the SREFs. Not a great model in my opinion. Certain members often tend to bias the output. It's farther North than all other guidance whats new. Now if the RGEM starts showing the best precip that far North then I will believe it.

At this range SREF isn't all that bad especially if it matches other guidance. The snow plumes are a little useless.

I have never trusted the snow plumes either. It's one tiny piece we look at but I cringe inside when I see them come up.

The liquid plumes are probably useful but everyone loves algorithm snow these days.

Archived