12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 16-17th Storm II

stormtracker

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is what it is showing. I am even further west and I would say in the .45 range... Odd when you do not do as well to the west.. BUt I think we have some drier air out here that could be a challenge!

All guidance has been showing that dimple of lower qpf toward the blue ridge. I suppose it's downsloping early on and too far west once the low exits the coast. I'm really not sure. Certainly looks terrain related to me. Hard to say. 

We would be looking at 15:1

Yes, in this environment, climo (realistic analogs) would support at least 15-1. 11-12 to 1 is more climo, and 20-1 is tough outside of any northern stream clippers. But I must say, the sounding profiles, at least with the 12Z runs, were very good up here, with deep moisture and lift above the -10C isotherm. Averaging out all the various SLRs as well as SLR techniques at work today, I couldn't find any lower than 15-1 (...other than climo). Optimal temps aloft, and very cold surface temps, with the bulk of the accumulating snow occurring after dark = optimal accumulation efficiency for mid Feb. As good as it gets around here really..

Looks like about .37 for you and .47 here. Of course, it's the nam, but the point is that any shift of 25 miles pushes our qpf up another .10. We'll get there. Not as much as Chill-land, but we'll be good.

Thanks. I guess the southerners must cash on every now and again

Thinking DCA to BWI will be big winners. And not cause I'm in Odenton. A northern band always sets up a bit north of modeling and this area is it

Yep. That is typically because of a better thermal profile in the max lift zone north of where the heavier QPF may fall. You're right, we see that time and time again, it'll be interesting if the sim reflectivity data per the HRRR and the RAP pick up on this.

Archived